Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Popsicle_Ninja

Bike?

Car shat itself, kinda wanna get a bike dont know what to get though :l Cheap would be nice i have been looking at cb300f is good? any other good starter bikes that are cheap? I have ridden before but i havent owned. Used to ride dirt bikes almost everyday when i was about 8-13

Much help needed D:

ninja 250 best cheap starter bike

THIS right here. The 250 will give you the most bang for your buck. Started on a Ninja 250 myself and moved up to a Ninja 636, a great starter bike. Learn the basics on how to ride before you get a 600cc class bike, You'll probably kill yourself, some people can manage that power starting off but most can't. I'm letting you know now that just because you rode a dirt bike doesn't mean you can ride a 600 (I bought my bike from a guy that had that mindset and sold it within a week for a super low price).

you can pick up a nice used one for about 1800-2500 depending on the year. I bought an 08 for 2k, when you move up to a 600cc class bike, you'll first notice how much more of an aggressive feel it is. The 250 has you sitting almost upright (I hated that). What most people get their options down to is either the cbr250 or the ninja 250, the ninja is a bit better. Last time I checked the mileage on the 250's is 60mpg?

Approximate-MPG

--------------------------

250cc=60mpg 

600cc=40mpg

1000cc=shit mpg    

It really depends on how you ride, If you hit the throttle hard and shit you're obviously going to get worse gas mileage than just going at a cars pace. If you cruise and go easy on the bike you're going to get better gas mileage.

So gas won't be a problem and the 250 tops out at like 100mph unless you're fat so don't try to race anyone on it unless its a scooter. Ride safe!

Dont mean to hijack but how are the 250's good for highways? Extended time going 80 mph?

Would rather him take the 65mph highway than to whiskey throttle into a semi or something. A 250 can handle the 65mph highway and can handle the 75mph highway for a short amount of time or whatever. 

We're talking about his first bike for a learning experience, I would definately not start on anything faster than a trusty little 250 but he can start on a liter bike if he wanted to (would not be smart, you gon die)

SV650 all day erry day!

Can't go much faster than 130mph and even then 110 is probably max cruising speed for me when I wanna get it and go. Routine maintenance including tires cost me about 450 a year max, 300 being tires. 55mpg if I'm not a hooligan.

That being said, 250's are nice commuters and cheap on maintenance, tires, fuel and insurance. Bigger the bike, more the cost.

I dont care much for topspeed or accel mainly fuel eff and low cost. Reliability is a +

Honda CBR250R. 

Honda CBR250R. 

You don't even ride. Like I said a ninja 250 is your best bet OR you could maybe get a 650 like scotti said, those can handle any speed limit in the U.S. without too much power to overwhelm you. Reliability depends on how well it was maintained before you got the bike.

If you want something a little faster, but not super sport fast, you might lookat something like the Ninja 500R, or a Honda NC500. The Ninja you'd be able to find cheaper because it's been out for a longer time. The SV is also a super solid choice, or many of the other 600-650 twins. V-strom 650, Versys, Ninja 650, SV650. I myself started on a rebel 250 I bought for $500 from a family friend, loved teh bike, miss a lot about it (simple, light, easy a hell to ride)