Sign in to follow this  
Knox

Google purchasing Twitch

http://venturebeat.com/2014/07/24/googles-1b-purchase-of-twitch-confirmed-joins-youtube-for-new-video-empire/

It's an old article but I wanted to bring this up now because of some of the ridiculous things twitch is doing.

When it was announced that Google signed a deal to buy Twitch, people were in outrage. Yet, nothing really changed with Twitch for a few weeks. For a while, people didn't believe that the deal was a real thing, however recently with some of twitch's updates(see this link and this amazing link), things are looking to be grim for Twitch.

Twitch announced today that the new VOD system was going to limit highlights to a MAXIMUM of 2 hours long, and that VOD's would be easier to export to sites like YouTube (big suprise with google buyout). This creates some conflict with popular streamers, and it hits closer to a lot of people I know as they speedrun games that are much longer than 2 hours. Sure, you can cut a 5 hour gameplay video up into 3 different video's, but that makes a hassle out of exporting  None the less, people complained and Twitch responded saying that they will look into all feedback provided on the new system.

A while after the new VOD system was announced, the Audio tyranny of 2014 began. Bascially, Twitch has now muted multiple VOD's audio because of the music that was being played on the stream. Usually this would be an acceptable thing since there are copyright issues that come up with audio, especially popular music, but the audio from the games themselves is also being muted because it's picked up by Audible Magic. It's just a bit hilarious that the website that was built around streaming games would mute audio inside of them. Not to mention, these update was sprung upon every broadcaster on twitch without any sort of hint that VOD's were going to be ruined. It's all a bit of bullfuckery honestly.

In the end it's going to be a massive downfall for Twitch as I see it, because the way they are going with their website only provides less faith in their users to keep streaming with their service. It's quite obvious that the Google purchase is a real thing, and that Twitch is putting these things in place to save their own asses in the future.

What are your thoughts on this?

Fuck her right in the pussy

But in all seriousness I hope a similar organization steps forward and provides an experience equivalent to or better than what twitch gave us.

hitbox.tv which is being run by the non-defunct own3d.tv co-owner is what a lot of people are switching to if Twitch gets any worse.

hitbox.tv which is being run by the non-defunct own3d.tv co-owner is what a lot of people are switching to if Twitch gets any worse.

It's not as neatly organized as twitch but it's got a nice layout! I kind of like it as an alternative.

I got pretty mad when I heard the news about Google buying Twitch. They are going to fuck it up like they did with Youtube. Next thing you know Google are going to force Twitch users to have Google+.

I wonder if they're gonna do anything once they've realized they have fucked themselves.

I watch a guy on twitch play Civ 5, and his VoDs are completely fucked with audio cause he had pandora playing during them and on top of that his games are hours on hours long so he probably can't even highlight good ones anymore. 

I also think it's completely garbage that they're using Audible Magic since false positives can happen frequently on top of muting the game audio sometimes as well. Google, as great is it is, shouldn't be buying the good things on the internet because so far they've done pretty negative things (forcing google+ down our throats). Before they bought twitch, twitch was pretty lenient on copyrights but now they are going to be nazi on copyright just like YouTube is.

Google pls.

Also hitbox.tv is eh.

Edited by Gamer4125

I recently started watching streams but man this sounds stupid. I'm normally all for Google owning because I mean, it's Google and they do cool shit (ignoring G+ and the Youtubes) but this is silly. Why change a system that already works :(

Also hitbox.tv is eh.

hitbox is literally the best alternative to twitch. the only other alternatives would be azubu(focused on esports mainly) or gaminglive.tv but that's in super alpha stages as a website.

I recently started watching streams but man this sounds stupid. I'm normally all for Google owning because I mean, it's Google and they do cool shit (ignoring G+ and the Youtubes) but this is silly. Why change a system that already works :(

It's a sad day for the internet.

Edited by Knox

I wonder if they're gonna do anything once they've realized they have fucked themselves.

I watch a guy on twitch play Civ 5, and his VoDs are completely fucked with audio cause he had pandora playing during them and on top of that his games are hours on hours long so he probably can't even highlight good ones anymore. 

I also think it's completely garbage that they're using Audible Magic since false positives can happen frequently on top of muting the game audio sometimes as well. Google, as great is it is, shouldn't be buying the good things on the internet because so far they've done pretty negative things (forcing google+ down our throats). Before they bought twitch, twitch was pretty lenient on copyrights but now they are going to be nazi on copyright just like YouTube is.

Google pls.

Also hitbox.tv is eh.

ECHO ECHO ECHO ECHO ECHO...

hitbox is literally the best alternative to twitch. the only other alternatives would be azubu(focused on esports mainly) or gaminglive.tv but that's in super alpha stages as a website.

It's a sad day for the internet.

Twitch was like a 9/10 for gaming streams before this happened while hitbox.tv is like a 5 or 6 currently. Maybe when it gets developed more it'll be better, but until people I watch on Twitch move to another site, I'll stick with them for now.

I bet the casters are pretty upset about the audio copyright shenanigans, I rarely watch vods on Twitch too so, I'm not upset or whatever. I do however watch a lot of streams and I appreciate most of the music they have running in the background, we can live with the music changes. Basically what gamer said, I'm not going to migrate to another streaming website until most of the broadcasters do.

I laughed when some of the league of legends one got muted for having the league of legends bgm playing.

Dota 2 ti4 official vod got muted for playing valve created music content in the background

So to update, Twitch CEO Emmett Shear did an AmA on reddit today, here's a highlight:

3ae3337109.png

(lmao Noel Brown reference epic meme emmett)

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2cwfu2/i_am_twitch_ceo_emmett_shear_ask_me_almost/

It's a trainwreck boys.

Read through the AMA. I now hate Twitch.