Sign in to follow this  
fontaine

Getting a new tablet for graduation. Ideas?

I'm really thinking about getting a tablet from my parents for graduation but am not sure what the best options are out there, since I never really follow the tablet scene. My laptop is kind of dying out and I want something I can browse the internet, do cool shit and stuff while watching tv, pooping, etc. I refuse to get an iPad. I've been eyeing the Windows Surface or ASUS Transformer because they seem pretty nice, but idk. 

As for Android, the Nexus 7 is probably one of the better choices but I was wanting a screen a little bigger than 7". Also, I'm worried using the tablet will just feel like using a big version of my phone.

Do you guys have any suggestions or experiences?

I have the Galaxy Tab 3, and I enjoy it. I have the 7", but they also come in 10". Windows Surface Pro is also a good tablet. I say just go to Best Buy and browse their tablet. Play around with them, figure out what is best for you.

Edited by The Dλrk Knight Rises

I have a Surface Pro I use as my tablet and work laptop as well when I'm in the field. It's rather big for a tablet, but is pretty nice. 

Don't let it replace your laptop. There are some key things tablets can't do. If you need it for college or work keep a laptop handy

I'll still have my laptop if I need it. But I mostly use my desktop for work/school. 

I used to troubleshoot computers for Geek Squad. The Surface RT cannot download shit a normal computer can, only apps. The Surface Pro can download anything, like a normal computer. Except its a tablet as well. Its cool. If you need something to replace your laptop, get the Surface Pro.

I don't know much of tablets but they seem to have come a long ways from shitty to a almost decent computer... but from your post you seem to be almost already made up your mind lol

I'm really thinking about getting a tablet from my parents for graduation but am not sure what the best options are out there, since I never really follow the tablet scene. My laptop is kind of dying out and I want something I can browse the internet, do cool shit and stuff while watching tv, pooping, etc. I refuse to get an iPad. I've been eyeing the Windows Surface or ASUS Transformer because they seem pretty nice, but idk. 

As for Android, the Nexus 7 is probably one of the better choices but I was wanting a screen a little bigger than 7". Also, I'm worried using the tablet will just feel like using a big version of my phone.

Do you guys have any suggestions or experiences?

I think tablets are great for general reading and internet shit, but in all honestly, you hit the nail on the head with that line. 

Getting a tablet is literally like getting an oversized phone. I have bought like 5 of them:

1) Some Asus one with a keyboard (and like 15 hours of battery life)

2) Google Nexus 7"

3) Asus Memo Pad HD 7"

4) Microsoft Surface RT

5) something I can't remember

Out of all of those, the nicest one would probably be the Nexus 7", but I would choose the RT over it because you can get them for the same price and the RT is running some windows 8.1 simulation type gizmo which means you can do a little more with it. Alternatively the Asus Transformer looks nice too.

I forgot to tell ya something

DON'T GET AN IPAD

DON'T GET AN IPAD

DON'T GET AN IPAD

DON'T GET AN IPAD

DON'T GET AN IPAD

DON'T GET AN IPAD

DON'T GET AN IPAD

DON'T GET AN IPAD

My wife has one and it is just an inflated iPhone. They don't have shit, do shit, or are worth shit.

They are for white, spoiled, snobby, star bucks drinking, yoga pants wearing, white chicks.

Edited by Bob Ross' Zombie

I have a Samsung tab 3 and to be honest it's not as fast as I expected it to be. I compared it with Nexus 7 and Nexus resulted to be wayyy smoother. I would stick with Nexus, they're pretty dece.

Based on my experiences, the Nexus 7 is the nice and smooth tablet. The Surface Pro is a close second but the major drawback is 8.1.

As for my suggestion I'm going to be incredibly blunt here (apologies)

I say just go to Best Buy and browse their tablet. Play around with them, figure out what is best for you.

For the love of god don't buy from them. I know this because you're better off getting them from a site like newegg or in my case, the local Micro Center (Literally built my Rig from the ground up using parts only from that store.). Plus the warranties are a bit better with those two.

I'll admit that I myself don't have a tablet as I see no need for one. But my case is different seeing as I can produce content such as skins for csgo (plus my tablet is crazy expensive https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/DTHW1300H/) so I need a large screen to work with.

I will say that if you are on the fence, check and see if you can find a way to check out or demo the tablets. The best way to find a good fit is to play around with the tech yourself.

I'd wait till the surface 3 comes out, thinking about getting it myself.

Yeah I just noticed that they are announcing the Surface 3 tomorrow lol.

Based on my experiences, the Nexus 7 is the nice and smooth tablet. The Surface Pro is a close second but the major drawback is 8.1.

As for my suggestion I'm going to be incredibly blunt here (apologies)

For the love of god don't buy from them. I know this because you're better off getting them from a site like newegg or in my case, the local Micro Center (Literally built my Rig from the ground up using parts only from that store.). Plus the warranties are a bit better with those two.

I'll admit that I myself don't have a tablet as I see no need for one. But my case is different seeing as I can produce content such as skins for csgo (plus my tablet is crazy expensive https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/DTHW1300H/) so I need a large screen to work with.

I will say that if you are on the fence, check and see if you can find a way to check out or demo the tablets. The best way to find a good fit is to play around with the tech yourself.

I wasnt saying buy from them, but they have lots of tablets to play around with.

I couldn't reccomend the nexus 7 enough. Its definitely the best tablet on the market right now.

Lolno

I picked up a samsung tab 4 8" and I love it a rooted it and put a custom ROM on it because fuck touchwiz and I can't complain. Samsung products are always top notch.

Edited by Sean

Lolno

I picked up a samsung tab 4 8" and I love it a rooted it and put a custom ROM on it because fuck touchwiz and I can't complain. Samsung products are always top notch.

Lol rooting. How about you get a nexus and not have to root at all if you go the custom route. Or you could enjoy the amazing stock experience. Samsung tabs are lackluster, not even as good as the asus tablet. Why buy a tablet that literally needs changing the software almost immediately? No point. Nexus 7

I'd wait till the surface 3 comes out, thinking about getting it myself.
<br /><br />I've only had my OG pro for a little over a year.. The fact that a 3rd has been announced already angers me for the dough I dropped on it.

<br /><br />I've only had my OG pro for a little over a year.. The fact that a 3rd has been announced already angers me for the dough I dropped on it.

yeah, i got my pro 2 last november, pretty salt

well it more then likely wont be out till the end of summer around the time the last one came out, like apple is around a 1 year till a new one

Either the Surface 3, Nexus 8 (should be announced at the Google IO in June), Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4/10.1/12.1, or the Xiaomi Mi Pad (whenever it's released).