Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Narwhal

Better First Choice?

So lately I have been looking into cars and bikes because in a few months ill have my licence and get to start driving. Right now my brother and dad are teaching me and stuff and its pretty cool actually. But let me get to the point I love bikes I have been around them my whole life and id love to get one even before a car, I know there not as safe but I have always been around them and loved them. What do you guys think about this I know a car is probably the better choice but I just wanted to ask, anyway thanks have a good one.

Ps Sorry if I made any mistakes new to forums in general on the internetoobs. 

Fav Car Mitsubishi Evo 10 - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8b/Mitsubishi_Lancer_EVO_X.jpg

Fav Bike Kawasaki 250r - http://www.hdwallpapersarena.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/kawasaki-ninja-250r-1.jpg

I may get it if I have enough money but thats probably not going to happen so I may just get a older model we will see though for all I know I could win some cash dolla bills yall.

Its arguable that bikes are more dangerous.

Personally I think its the same risk. As long as you were taught correct, have common sense and pay attention to your surroundings. 

I prefer a car just because i am with friends alot, and as you know bikes don't really have extra room for your friends.

Go with whatever is more practical for your everyday needs and lifestyle.

If you live in Utah like me where its shit weather all year except summer, then a bike would suck. Both are good tho.

Ya the weather might be a problem cause every now and then we get a lot of rain but to be honest im just a scrub who has nothing to do except sit at home all day and be bored XD

Huff that risk only accounts for accidents that are the bikers fault. Cars are a lot safer by a long shot and bikes aren't practical at all(extremely situational).

Edited by Sakata

Its arguable that bikes are more dangerous.

Personally I think its the same risk. As long as you were taught correct, have common sense and pay attention to your surroundings. 

I prefer a car just because i am with friends alot, and as you know bikes don't really have extra room for your friends.

Go with whatever is more practical for your everyday needs and lifestyle.

Good observation, If you don't have a car I suggest getting one instead of a bike. The factors that involve in riding a motorcycle are worlds different from driving a car, it is more dangerous since you don't have a metal cage surrounding you and protecting you. If you get hit on a motorcycle you're taking the full force of the hit, motorcycles are smaller and harder to see with cars. I've almost been hit by drivers texting and not seeing me just in general. It is a worlds difference if the fun aspect though! Don't let the dangers scare you into not getting one, I use my brothers car when the weather is bad and all that.

Personally I have an 08 Ninja 250 and it's a great bike to start with, if you drop it (you will eventually, trust me) you won't feel as bad since it's not a super sport or something like that. Do whatever you want, if you want a car get a car, if you want a motorcycle get a motorcycle. There is a thing called the MSF course which is a 2 1/2 course, 4 hours in a classroom and the next two days driving, all of it is slow maneuvers not going above second gear, after this they give you a slip and you get your full motorcycle endorsement to your license.

If you need any advice in motorcycles don't be afraid to message me on the forums or pm me on steam. Motorcycles are 10x funner than cars :P

I had a couple cars first (240sx, Audi S4, Miata), then decided to go motorcycle only. I got away with it pretty well living here in SoCal (Nice weather pretty much year round). I thought I'd be fine without a car, and didn't see many reasons i needed to have one. I got along fine for about 10 months with just a motorcycle, until I eventually bought another car (My current tacoma). That being said, random stuff came up that I never thought about. One that sticks out in my head was having to transport a 50lb bag of dog food in a hiking backpack, it wasn't TOO bad, but little stuff like that came up time to time. I never had to drive friends to lunch. It made it a little awkward dating, because it meant I always had to ask my date to drive. 

TL:DR Motorcycle only wasn't TOO bad, but I have perfect weather in SoCal. I would recommend getting a car first, paying it off so you don't have any monthly payments. Buy a cheaper-ish first bike with cash, get tired of it, sell for cash, use as down payment on your first nice bike.

P.S. Evo X is not a cheap car. But honestly I like the evo 8/9's a ton, plus the older ones are a bit more sleeper, which is more my style. You can probably find an evo 8 for a really great price, use the money saved to do your mods.

@DrKahn you seem to of gotten off easy but

If you are buying anything with a motor you have to choose 2 of the following

Cheap, Fast, and Reliable. 

You can't have all 3. 

One last thing: if you buy a tuner car as your first car, your gonna have a bad time.

You can't have all 3.

One last thing: if you buy a tuner car as your first car, your gonna have a bad time.

uzy7usuv.jpg

You can't have all 3. 

^ True dat about a tuner. Luckily I was in highschool, and my job was within biking distance, but there were plenty of times where my 240sx sat on safety jacks for a week while I bought new bolts for the ones that inevitably broke. Cheap, fast, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, not reliable. Get a clean DD first. My friend wound up getting a nice clean lancer 8, a nice budget alternative to the Evo, in high school, and it was a great car.