Sign in to follow this  
Rune

Gmod Virus

Seems like another virus is going around through an exploit on gmod configs, which inadvertently downloads a tojan to your client directly.

If you've ever had anyone sending you steam messages like, "*cough* *cough*" they've probably been infected.

Personally I won't be going on Gmod anytime soon, and I'd advise everyone here to not play on it as well. (Not that anyone really does.) Just in-case someone was planning a movie night.

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1386818

A snippet from outlining what it does.

Like I said, avoid Gmod for the time being.

Edited by Rune

Here's a good little guide and TL:DR

1. If you ever joined a server with !!! in it's name, you are infected

2. A server is infected when someone who's infected joins the server

3.When a server becomes infected, everyone becomes infected

4. Chat messages that say "*Cough* *Cough*"  are indicators that the server's infected

5. If you want to check if you have the virus, go into your garrysmod/garrysmod directory and search for a file called "cooltexture". If it shows up with a file named cooltexture.vtf, you have the virus. Disable your internet, uninstall Gmod, and change passwords asap

6. The virus's "cooltexture.vtf" is a splash screen of a Gmod dev with a carrot/hot dog. It may flash on screen when infected

7. Reports that the virus is a backdoor, unconfirmed as of yet (hijacked accounts reported)

8. Some In-Game anti cheats actually auto ban infected people because of "changed core files"

9. Garrysmod is the only source game vulnerable to this, because it's a lua exploit. CS:GO and Dota 2 are safe.

-edit-

10. Patched, garry confirmed it was nothing serious

Edited by Siesan

8. Some In-Game anti cheats actually auto ban infected people because of "changed core files"

sooo about 3 5 people joined ttt today and got perma banned, and they were all friends and the last one left, but his last chat message was "*cough* *cough*". Jeff was also there, i thought it was just a freak occurrence that 3 5 people got perma'd as soon as they joined. I dont know what that says for the server but it did happen on our TTT server sooo..

edit: i just checked to see if i was infected and luckily im not, because it does say if infected people join the server it infects the server so i dont know how that goes. But i advise you that if you joined the TTT server recently to check just to be safe.  

NEVERMIND SIESAN CONFIRMED THE PATCH 

Edited by Miley Cyrus

about 20% of my friends list is filled with people who play gmod, atleast 10% of them msg'd me *Cough* over, and over, and over,

3 of them had a picture of the hunter from lfd2 (They had something else other than that During them msging me) I was scared I was being attacked again or something.