Sign in to follow this  
Kung?

Sub-forums for book readers?

It makes sense that teens and young adults nowadays can't find people to share or discuss books with, given the prevalence of more flashy types of media and the speed of consumption

A picture paints a thousand words right?

At 30 frames per second, you're "reading" 1 800 000 words a minute...

The real loss is to imagination and creativity though, when you actually read the words, you paint your own pictures in your head, which can be just as detailed, or more so, than any 1080p picture

It can probably be easily argued that today's media consumers are "lazier" than in the past due to this passive consumption of static vivid images rather than the creation of their own dynamic ones through imagination

tbh to talk about imagination now, even in this post, sounds too nerdy for real life, like imagination is a thing of the past that doesnt happen anymore, so sad

If anybody loves Science Fiction I have some suggestions for amazing books to read:

- The Diamond Age (and secondly it's related book - Snow Crash)

- The Vorkosigan Saga (Please start reading these with The Warrior's Apprentice and then in chrono forward)

- Across Realtime (A compilation of The Peace War, The Ungoverned, Marooned in Realtime)

- Rainbow's End

- Spin (plus sequels Axis and Vortex, Axis is meh, Vortex ending is orgasm)

- Neuromancer

- Footfall

- Dune (3 great sequels I've read and a million other books in the Dune universe but I haven't read them)

- Ringworld (also 3 sequels and other books, more technical in its descriptions)

- The Mote In God's Eye

- Startide Rising (Uplift Saga in general too)

- Ender's Game (then the Bean Saga, Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets and Shadow of the Giant - the 3 direct ender sequels are way too philosophical imo)

Books that aren't SF that are amazing:

- Rainbow Six

- The Hobbit

- Lord of the Rings

Books I plan to read sometime:

- The Forever War (and its 2 sequels)

- Foundation (3 main books and some others, no idea how I haven't read this yet)

- A Fire Upon the Deep (and 2 surrounding books)

- Darwin's Radio

- American Gods

It makes sense that teens and young adults nowadays can't find people to share or discuss books with, given the prevalence of more flashy types of media and the speed of consumption

A picture paints a thousand words right?

At 30 frames per second, you're "reading" 1 800 000 words a minute...

The real loss is to imagination and creativity though, when you actually read the words, you paint your own pictures in your head, which can be just as detailed, or more so, than any 1080p picture

It can probably be easily argued that today's media consumers are "lazier" than in the past due to this passive consumption of static vivid images rather than the creation of their own dynamic ones through imagination

tbh to talk about imagination now, even in this post, sounds too nerdy for real life, like imagination is a thing of the past that doesnt happen anymore, so sad

shiiiit dark dat some deep shit

everything by david and leigh eddings is badass. raymond e. feist, terry brooks, terry goodkind, and of course the guy who died in the last quarter of his fucking series, Robert bit-the-dust-prematurely Jordan.

that would urk me greatly :l