Sign in to follow this  
Velo

To LQ9 or not to LQ9

So I bought a 04 Silverado 2500HD extended cab LS (all bells and whistles) with a nearly-dead 6.0 LQ4 engine. The engine will spit and sputter for a second before dying whenever I try to start it no matter what.. Going to drop $50 onto a new throttle body with TPS and see if that will make it at least try to idle just for the shit of it. I know it will need a new engine anyways, and I don't have the knowledge of these newer generation small block chevrolet engines to know how do build one from a short block, so I will go the 'used' route.

I'm stuck deciding between two engines.

The LQ4 engine which comes in pickups and vans around the year of my truck which is like 300HP

and the LQ9 engine which comes in Cadillac escalades which is like 350HP~ 

Both engines will physically fit with no problem and everything should hook up but my computer is programmed for an LQ4. I have no idea if it will work with the LQ9 without needing to be reprogrammed. That will cost probably $300 or more. Both engines cost around the same price on ebay shipped.

Should I take the chance with the LQ9 block? I basically stole the truck at $500, so not much into it so far compared to what other 04 2500HD's are going for.. http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks-/6001/i.html?_from=R40&_vxp=mtr&_dmpt=US_Cars_Trucks&makeval=Chevrolet&modelval=Silverado%202500%20HD&Model%2520Year=2004&_nkw=Chevrolet%20Silverado%202500%20HD%202500hd