Sign in to follow this  
driz

new pbx

just built a new asterisk pbx. i have both house phones, my wife and i's cell phones and trying to get chosen set up with a phone through it right now. everything working great with some fancy dialplan additions. 

today i got inbound faxing to work, hits the queue then shoots me an email with a pdf of the fax; cant get outbound faxing to work yet.. beating my head on this one.

if anyone has interest in things like this, let me know and i can add some tech stuff to this post. i probably wont respond to dumb stuff because im an elitist.

time=money; i think phone lines are typically 20-50/mo; i have 3 DID phone numbers and i pay nothing but the electric bill for my vm server. free calling nationwide and to our most northern state we call Canada.

mini specs 1vcpu, 2G ram, 16G thin driveCentOS6.5, Asterisk 11.7.0, hylafax+ 5.5.4, iaxmodem-1.2.0QoS priority via mac address for the 2 NICs assigned to this VM

Take a SS of your outbound fax settings and post it.. Might be able to help.

I removed the irrelevant portions that didnt relate to faxing. Like i said inbound faxing works fine, remote extensions also work fine (if c12k had non-blocking internet he would have access too!) but outbound faxing results in 

[2014-02-09 10:56:55] Modem started[2014-02-09 10:56:55] Setting device = '/dev/ttyFAX0'[2014-02-09 10:56:55] Setting owner = 'uucp:uucp'[2014-02-09 10:56:55] Setting mode = '660'[2014-02-09 10:56:55] Setting port = 4571[2014-02-09 10:56:55] Setting refresh = 300[2014-02-09 10:56:55] Setting server = '127.0.0.1'[2014-02-09 10:56:55] Setting peername = 'fax1'[2014-02-09 10:56:55] Setting secret = 'redacted'[2014-02-09 10:56:55] Setting codec = ulaw[2014-02-09 10:56:55] Opened pty, slave device: /dev/pts/1[2014-02-09 10:56:55] Created /dev/ttyFAX0 symbolic link[2014-02-09 10:56:55] Registration completed successfully.[2014-02-09 10:57:02] Hanging Up[2014-02-09 10:57:22] Hanging Up[2014-02-09 10:57:27] Dialing 'somenumber'[2014-02-09 10:57:27] Rejected call.[2014-02-09 10:57:28] Hanging Up
If you follow the flow; the iax config drops us into a context of localfax which has access to local and fax-out; fax-out accepts X. pattern which matches all things. we're clearly registered which indicates that the call rejection is due to a pattern mismatch; im just not sure why.

/etc/iaxmodem/ttyFAX0

device          /dev/ttyFAX0owner           uucp:uucpmode            660port            4571refresh         300server          127.0.0.1peername        fax1secret          redactedcodec           ulaw
/etc/asterisk/iax.conf

[general]bindport = 4569bindaddr = 0.0.0.0disallow=allallow=ulaw[fax1]type=friendsecret=redactedport=4571host=dynamiccontext=localfaxdisallow=allallow=ulawrequirecalltoken=no

/etc/asterisk/extensions.conf

[globals]driz=SIP/dznet-wpfax1=IAX2/fax1fax2=IAX2/fax2ALLFAX=IAX2/fax1&IAX2/fax2ALL=SIP/dznet-wp&SIP/dznet-p&SIP/dznet-kp#include exts/incoming#include exts/outgoing#include exts/local#include exts/services[default]exten => s,1,Goto(local,s,1)

/etc/asterisk/exts/outgoing

[fax-out] ; dial 8 to send faxes from this line.exten => _X.,1,Dial(Motif/motif-fax/${EXTEN}@voice.driz.net,,r)
/etc/asterisk/exts/local

[local]exten => 100,1,Macro(oneline,${driz})exten => 101,1,Dial(SIP/dznet-p,15) // Cellphoneexten => fax,1,Dial(${ALLFAX}) // fax machineinclude => parkedcallsinclude => servicesinclude => outboundinclude => sipbroker-out[localfax]include => fax-outinclude => local

/etc/asterisk/exts/incoming

[fax-in]exten => s,1,Wait(1) same => n,Answer same => n,SendDTMF(1) same => n,Set(crazysipcid=${CALLERID(name)}) same => n,Set(stripcrazysuffix=${CUT(crazysipcid,@,1)}) same => n,Set(CALLERID(all)=${stripcrazysuffix}) same => n,Goto(local,fax,1)

Are you using a physical fax or is it all e-faxing? Does the trace show anything other than "rejected" (errors or whatnot). I see your stripping digits inbound, are there any dialplan configurations outbound? 

Have you tried dialing a regular number (like a cell phone) with the fax? 

Are you using a physical fax or is it all e-faxing? Does the trace show anything other than "rejected" (errors or whatnot). I see your stripping digits inbound, are there any dialplan configurations outbound? 

Have you tried dialing a regular number (like a cell phone) with the fax? 

It's all e-faxing; i have one isdn bri coming in that's dedicated to psnap and work stuff.

the trace doesn't show anything other than rejected, which, since the iax lines registered tells me its a dialplan matching issue. I have to strip digits inbound to show callerid normally or else i see shit like sip/number@driz.net_portinfo which irritates my wife to no end.  no manipulation on oubound calling. the only outbound path available to faxing it shown above. 

I can't dial anything local or external from the fax; call rejected on any number.

Can you paste a standard outbound call trace in here as well? Want to do a stare and compare to see if I can notice anything. 

tbh i prefer not to, i would need to show the corresponding paths and remove certain information and it's a lot of work.

for the purposes of this, we can just pretend i have nothing on this pbx except a fax machine. in fact, i can exclude all the contexts except faxing related ones and go from there if you see something to change.

np.

I'd say check the outbound codec of standard extensions and double check that the fax is configured for bothway transmission, although from everything I see there it looks ok. 

I'd be lying if I said SIP was my strong suit. All of our clients are over standard PRI's with POTs lines hooked into the system for faxes or use a fax server over the PRI. 

my problem turned out to be an @ symbol in my password :)

-- Accepting AUTHENTICATED call from 127.0.0.1:    --        > requested format = ulaw,    --        > requested prefs = (),    --        > actual format = ulaw,    --        > host prefs = (ulaw),    --        > priority = mine    -- Executing [100@default:1] Dial("IAX2/fax0-93", "IAX2/fax1") in new stack    -- Called IAX2/fax1    -- Call accepted by 127.0.0.1 (format ulaw)    -- Format for call is (ulaw)    -- IAX2/fax1-1018 is ringing    -- IAX2/fax1-1018 answered IAX2/fax0-93    -- Channel 'IAX2/fax1-1018' ready to transfer    -- Channel 'IAX2/fax0-93' ready to transfer    -- Releasing IAX2/fax0-93 and IAX2/fax1-1018    -- Hungup 'IAX2/fax1-1018'  == Spawn extension (default, 100, 1) exited non-zero on 'IAX2/fax0-93'    -- Hungup 'IAX2/fax0-93'

Pretty much all i do anymore is SIP or h323. I designed the voice infrastructure in south/west/southwest afghanistan which was later adopted into east and north. capital region is still holding out. now i do sip for hospitals around the country. The hospitals still use t1's for backups though so i stick in cisco vg250s to handle them. We're moving to rightfax at work, but we typically use mgcp to route them straight pstn. In my home though, i try to limit the use of real phone lines as much as possible. with this faxing capability, i dont know that i will send anything pstn anymore. 

back to the beginning now; if anyone wants to know how to set this shit up, let me know. My parents in alaska have a trunk to me, so our calls are sip to sip; c12k has a phone setup (but im pretty sure his current wifi blocks 5060, perhaps ill shift this to 443) to call from afghanland.. all in all, its pretty neat shit.

Of course its the simple problem.. I'd be interested to see how you did this. We're a straight Avaya shop so thats about all I get to work with. 

Ahhh we rip out a lot of avaya and Nortel. I used to with with sl100s. We can get some time and do a Google hangout and I'll teach you asterisk of you want. Can't beat free