Sign in to follow this  
MrCoolness

my insurance broker lied to me

So, I recently purchased a used vehicle and I found this insurance broker who was giving me a rate that was better than anything I could find. Note that it's hell expensive because I'm still young and it's my first car but here's the story. So the lowest 1-way insurance I could find was roughly $400 a month, but an insurance broker recommended to me by one of my dad's friend was offering me coverage for $302 a month. I was excited and I asked for the paperwork, and when it arrived over e-mail the amount was amounting to $430 a month, and I ask the guy hey what's going on you said $302 and it even says 2-way insurance I only want 1-way. So he's like "ok my mistake" and sends me over the correct one for $302/month (I feel like he was trying to confuse me because the amount is given over the year, not per month). I sign it and send it back to him and everything ended up cleanly (supposedly). Now I finally get the bill for it and what do I see? $430 payed to the insurance company... did this guy actually just forge my signature onto the more expensive one to raise his salary? I'm wondering what I should do, I have little evidence just over what's on my e-mail, most things were talked about over the phone, but I do have a copy of the $302/month insurance and me asking over e-mail about wanting that one.

I wanted to just straight up call and cancel but I know there's a fee and it's total bullshit, so what do I do?

This does sound somewhat weird and illegal, especially in Canada. There is no reason a broker should have lied to you, or even worse have carried forward with the payments that you have not authorized. I would contact him and talk to him about the situation - maybe there was a misunderstanding and be firm about your opinion but don't come on too strong. Tell him that you have not authorized any payments for such sum and provide him the document he sent you: IF by any chance you have signed something for the $400 sum - there is little to nothing you can do as it is your signature. If nothing else works, and the fee is too high to cancel contact your lawyer if you have one. Good luck and what happened to you really does suck!

EDIT:

Try these websites:

1. http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/scams-fraudes/index-eng.htm 

2. http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/english/home.html 

3. http://www.sse.gov.on.ca/mcs/en/pages/default.aspx

Filing a complaint with the Ministry of Consumer Goods and Services usually leads to an investigation if not resolved by the two parties - and usually the defending company does not like dealing with investigations and therefore you usually win in the situation.

Edited by iEpicsaurus

This does sound somewhat weird and illegal, especially in Canada. There is no reason a broker should have lied to you, or even worse have carried forward with the payments that you have not authorized. I would contact him and talk to him about the situation - maybe there was a misunderstanding and be firm about your opinion but don't come on too strong. Tell him that you have not authorized any payments for such sum and provide him the document he sent you: IF by any chance you have signed something for the $400 sum - there is little to nothing you can do as it is your signature. If nothing else works, and the fee is too high to cancel contact your lawyer if you have one. Good luck and what happened to you really does suck!

EDIT:

Try these websites:

1. http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/scams-fraudes/index-eng.htm

2. http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/english/home.html

3. http://www.sse.gov.on.ca/mcs/en/pages/default.aspx

Filing a complaint with the Ministry of Consumer Goods and Services usually leads to an investigation if not resolved by the two parties - and usually the defending company does not like dealing with investigations and therefore you usually win in the situation.

Thanks, this really helped. I tried calling the broker today before this post but he doesn't pick up. I'm under the impression he doesn't work weekends and hopefully he's not purposely avoiding me. Should I send an e-mail or wait to call on Monday? I'm considering to just wait and call on Monday because the e-mail might give him time to prepare against what I have to say lol

Thanks, this really helped. I tried calling the broker today before this post but he doesn't pick up. I'm under the impression he doesn't work weekends and hopefully he's not purposely avoiding me. Should I send an e-mail or wait to call on Monday? I'm considering to just wait and call on Monday because the e-mail might give him time to prepare against what I have to say lol

Knowing insurance companies, they may not be open on the weekends so I would try one more time in about half an hour and if they don't pick up then try on Monday. I personally would not write the email until he requests for proof or something of that sort because yes it can let him build a case and it may make him upset. Under a certain Act, they must remain calm at all times over the phone or they would be in violation and you can write them down for this as well. Again, best of luck!

Knowing insurance companies, they may not be open on the weekends so I would try one more time in about half an hour and if they don't pick up then try on Monday. I personally would not write the email until he requests for proof or something of that sort because yes it can let him build a case and it may make him upset. Under a certain Act, they must remain calm at all times over the phone or they would be in violation and you can write them down for this as well. Again, best of luck!

Alright, I'm going to make sure to record the phone conversation too then

I agree with epicsaurus.

Call on monday.

Your idea of recording the phone conversation is a good one.

Do you have a copy of the original document that you signed?  (like with the signature?)

Also, look over the document you signed, make sure no where on it is $430 a month.  Read the whole thing, no matter how boring it may be.

If you do escalate this, deal with facts.  Don't make assumptions, like he forged your signature to raise his salary.

Say things like, On this date, xxx accidentally sent me this document (insert $430 document).  After the email on this date, xxx sent me the correct document (insert correct document). I then signed and returned this document on xxx date.  On xxx date a withdrawal of $430 was taken from my account.  I contacted xxx on xxx date, to inquire about the incorrect amount, and he said xxxxxxx.

Direct, to the point.  Lay down the facts, so they can't dispute them, and no one gets confused.  Maybe write the email, wait a bit, then come back and proof read it.

Good luck bro.

I agree with epicsaurus.

Call on monday.

Your idea of recording the phone conversation is a good one.

Do you have a copy of the original document that you signed?  (like with the signature?)

Also, look over the document you signed, make sure no where on it is $430 a month.  Read the whole thing, no matter how boring it may be.

If you do escalate this, deal with facts.  Don't make assumptions, like he forged your signature to raise his salary.

Say things like, On this date, xxx accidentally sent me this document (insert $430 document).  After the email on this date, xxx sent me the correct document (insert correct document). I then signed and returned this document on xxx date.  On xxx date a withdrawal of $430 was taken from my account.  I contacted xxx on xxx date, to inquire about the incorrect amount, and he said xxxxxxx.

Direct, to the point.  Lay down the facts, so they can't dispute them, and no one gets confused.  Maybe write the email, wait a bit, then come back and proof read it.

Good luck bro.

You're right, I shouldn't get too emotional over this or they might use it against me or refuse to cooperate. Thanks ctark

So, I've been calling my insurance broker since yesterday... When I called yesterday morning his assistant picked up and said he wasn't in the office until later, so she asked my name and I told her and she said she would him to call me back, but since then I've called numerous times, yesterday and today and have received no calls and they aren't picking up my calls, it just goes straight to voicemail.

So, what do...

So, I've been calling my insurance broker since yesterday... When I called yesterday morning his assistant picked up and said he wasn't in the office until later, so she asked my name and I told her and she said she would him to call me back, but since then I've called numerous times, yesterday and today and have received no calls and they aren't picking up my calls, it just goes straight to voicemail.<br /><br />So, what do...

<br /><br />Did they pull the money from your account already? Contact your bank and tell them what happened. Here in the US banks can reverse it

<br /><br />Did they pull the money from your account already? Contact your bank and tell them what happened. Here in the US banks can reverse it

Yeah they pulled money, I'm worried about what would happen if I were to reverse the transaction.

Called the insurance company, told them what happened; they contacted me with my broker in a few minutes and they changed the policy.

Well I guess that's that.

p.s. still gonna cancel this insurance after the year is over

Where are you paying $300-400/month for insurance?  I just got a new Civic, first car, as well and I'm paying ~$130/month.

First car, day I got my license because fuck logic. $150/mo, go 'murica?

First car, day I got my license because fuck logic. $150/mo, go 'murica?

Lol we need to have our license for a couple of years to see anything get closer to that.  Fuck our driver insurance, and the monopoly on internet here.

Lol we need to have our license for a couple of years to see anything get closer to that.  Fuck our driver insurance, and the monopoly on internet here.

Same policy here in the UK, when you first pass at aged 17 your insurance is through the roof, even on a crappy 0.8 liter engine car!