Sign in to follow this  
thorgot

Tome bug aftermath: PM me if you had a level lowered too much

Tomes were giving a huge amount of xp for a few hours today. We could have done a database revert but then people would have lost all their progress of the day, so instead I manually lowered levels on people who abused the glitch. Only people who played after 6 PM EST Friday were affected.

If you had a level lowered that shouldn't have been, or a level was lowered too far, send me a PM and I'll check the database backup to make sure you're not pulling my leg. Alternatively, if I missed you, let me know and I'll give you some levelbank levels in exchange.

We're going to set up more frequent database backups in case something like this happens again. Sorry for the trouble. We'll be doing a double xp week soon, so you'll have every opportunity 

Someone (hornycat) temporarily had the most levels (in orc, of course). Nobody tell Ghoul.

so uh. derpy is sitting at close to 1000 lvls over what she had before today. she was at around 3.3k and now she's well over 4k lvls. not to mention Hornycat, DrKhan, Lameonade, and Lug. all 5 of these players have an astronomically higher amt of lvls on the war3top10 leaderboard.

what has taken the rest of us countless hours, days, weeks of gameplay has been rendered insignificant by a 1000-lvl 2-hr marathon... please fix this nonsense...

Shouldn't there be at least some sort of punishment for people who know that this is a glitch and still abused it? 

I know that there's the argument of how they didn't know it was a glitch, but cmon, common sense.

so uh. derpy is sitting at close to 1000 lvls over what she had before today. she was at around 3.3k and now she's well over 4k lvls. not to mention Hornycat, DrKhan, Lameonade, and Lug. all 5 of these players have an astronomically higher amt of lvls on the war3top10 leaderboard.

what has taken the rest of us countless hours, days, weeks of gameplay has been rendered insignificant by a 1000-lvl 2-hr marathon... please fix this nonsense...

I didn't feel like manually recalculating total levels for people because they are automatically recalculated every time you join. Four of the players you mention (not Khan, who didn't play yesterday) had levels removed. If you have the same complaint in a few days I can lower the total level of anybody who shouldn't be there.

Someone (hornycat) temporarily had the most levels (in orc, of course). Nobody tell Ghoul.

I feel bad knowing Ghoul might never be as high as this.

*lower your brightness to see what level i had my orc*

post-9120-0-33145100-1387070611_thumb.jp

Edited by HornyCat

Alright, went through every player and I think I've set everything correct. I used the backup from Friday to double check everything.

A few bans were issued for people who were clearly switching to as many races as possible and buying tomes once they realized what was happening. Most people who played at the time only bought a few and were not punished beyond lowering of the races affected.

Again, if anything looks wrong, please PM me on the forums.

Alright, went through every player and I think I've set everything correct. I used the backup from Friday to double check everything.

A few bans were issued for people who were clearly switching to as many races as possible and buying tomes once they realized what was happening. Most people who played at the time only bought a few and were not punished beyond lowering of the races affected.

Again, if anything looks wrong, please PM me on the forums.

So, um, why was the tome thing happening? I thought you were going to post that.

Edited by HornyCat

I fixed the bug allowing you to buy necklace after shield (but not vice versa) which was caused by some jaw-droppingly bad coding in the item. However, I made a one-line mistake which caused tomes and books to be added back after they were removed, so people ended up getting lots of tomes/books per purchase. I didn't test buying other items, just necklace and shield, because I didn't expect the original code to be that badly written.

(The item wasn't written by anybody in sG.)

(Sorry for causing the problem.)

I fixed the bug allowing you to buy necklace after shield (but not vice versa) which was caused by some jaw-droppingly bad coding in the item. However, I made a one-line mistake which caused tomes and books to be added back after they were removed, so people ended up getting lots of tomes/books per purchase. I didn't test buying other items, just necklace and shield, because I didn't expect the original code to be that badly written.

(The item wasn't written by anybody in sG.)

(Sorry for causing the problem.)

You change one line of code and tomes all of a sudden decides to give people 100 levels...lol. Wcs mod is so fucking fragile.

Why aren't we banning players for abusing exploits? I don't understand why we seem to find it acceptable when it's incredibly fucking obvious that it's an exploit.