Sign in to follow this  
Count

Convince me

So I play league and all my favourite champs are getting nerfed + I feel like the upcoming s4 changes are shitty. Yet, I'm still not convinced to change to another MOBA... 

Maybe, but why.

Because it's a different experience in the same genre. Comparing LoL to DotA as if they're twins is like comparing north to east. They're close but still go in entirely opposite directions.

Play DotA, get a feel for it, and see if you like it more. If you like it more, stick with DotA. If you want to stay with LoL, maybe try and find new favorite heroes. It's never bad to have a diverse pallet. 

just keep playing league

if you pick up dota everything will just seem op to you anyway, and later you won't have to admit to yourself that it was probably a mistake spending $100+ on a f2p game just to be able to access barely enough content to play proficiently

edit: here is how much money i've spent on dota2 0Kt9dIj.png

just keep playing league

if you pick up dota everything will just seem op to you anyway, and later you won't have to admit to yourself that it was probably a mistake spending $100+ on a f2p game just to be able to access barely enough content to play proficiently

Earthshaker with divine rapier wut wut

just keep playing league

edit: here is how much money i've spent on dota2 0Kt9dIj.png

I've taken a look at heros in Dota, I don't find them op, only very diversified.

When I first started playing DOTA 2, I immediately had to strategize with teammates to do anything. I'm level 2-ish with low MMR. This was my biggest complaint with LoL. I was assured that at the high levels and high MMR that strategy is a real thing, but why should I grind through hours of diminished gameplay in order to actually enjoy the game? What is this, a JMMO?

Anyway, fuck, DOTA 2 is great. Get people on sG or just people you know to play with you and you'll have a great time. It's got a greater feel of "Yeh, I helped with that. I did good, daddykins!" You actually feel a part of the team. It's not a single player dependant game, but instead everybody has that role to fill in the team fight. No one just sits back while at full health 'cause they're squishy as balls.

One other thing to note, the heroes are pretty well balanced. Of course each hero has a different style than the other, but anyone can be fended off alone if you know the enemy's heroes, tendencies, or strategies.

Maybe, but why.

Short answer: Diversity.

Long answer: Diversity. In League, there are maybe, what, a dozen items with actives? I can name double that off the top of my head for Dota, and the effects of the items are much more varied. Black King Bar is an item you can get to grant you magic immunity for a short time, but it isn't OP because there are certain ultimates that go through it. Scythe of Vyse is an item that gives you a 3 second polymorph (Like Lulu's). Force Staff lets you push yourself or any other unit (Allied or enemy) in the direction they're facing, allowing you to put enemies out of position or save teammates from ganks.

And that's not even starting on the heroes. Pudge operates a lot like Blitzcrank, except you can hook allies too, leading to some interesting plays you wouldn't see otherwise. Slark recently got reworked and he has "perfect stealth" - his ult makes him invisible for 4 seconds and completely undetectable by any kind of stealth detection. You know how Evelynn is permastealthed? Riki has that too, except without the range limit - he can stand right next to somebody and be stealthed all day. Supports can get big, way bigger than in League. One support, Lion, has an ult that is purely a thousand damage nuke. On a support. Most heroes can go in more than one spot though - Lion can be played mid, and it isn't even weird. Naga Siren was designed to be a carry but is run as a support.

Last, I'll touch on game mechanics. In League, there are a lot of good mechanics that make the game fun. Last hitting, harassing in lane, brush control, etc are all essential skills. However, Dota just has more to it. Period. Where League has brush control, Dota utilizes a high ground mechanic. Where League has last hitting, Dota has last hitting and denying - meaning you can try to out-last hit your opponent or go in for harassment. You can stack and pull jungle creeps to have them fight lane creeps (minions), denying your enemy the exp. But the enemy can come into the jungle and contest your pull, taking it for himself instead. There's Smoke of Deceit, an item that gives stealth in an AoE for 100 gold until you get near an enemy hero (This one's more like Evelynn's stealth) that can be used to sneak right past sentry wards (Green wards). In addition, you can opt for dust of appearance over sentry wards (pinks) to detect stealth in an aoe around you, and apply a slow to anyone it reveals.

Oh, and Dota's shop is better. I have no issue with League's pricing system - I think it's perfectly fair - but Dota's is just cheaper, period. The community runs the show, for the most part. Which is great. And no losing to somebody because they have grinded out the optimal runes for a champ - There's no out-of-game character customization, no building an advantage based on time played.

Short answer: Diversity.

Long answer: Diversity. In League, there are maybe, what, a dozen items with actives? I can name double that off the top of my head for Dota, and the effects of the items are much more varied. Black King Bar is an item you can get to grant you magic immunity for a short time, but it isn't OP because there are certain ultimates that go through it. Scythe of Vyse is an item that gives you a 3 second polymorph (Like Lulu's). Force Staff lets you push yourself or any other unit (Allied or enemy) in the direction they're facing, allowing you to put enemies out of position or save teammates from ganks.

And that's not even starting on the heroes. Pudge operates a lot like Blitzcrank, except you can hook allies too, leading to some interesting plays you wouldn't see otherwise. Slark recently got reworked and he has "perfect stealth" - his ult makes him invisible for 4 seconds and completely undetectable by any kind of stealth detection. You know how Evelynn is permastealthed? Riki has that too, except without the range limit - he can stand right next to somebody and be stealthed all day. Supports can get big, way bigger than in League. One support, Lion, has an ult that is purely a thousand damage nuke. On a support. Most heroes can go in more than one spot though - Lion can be played mid, and it isn't even weird. Naga Siren was designed to be a carry but is run as a support.

Last, I'll touch on game mechanics. In League, there are a lot of good mechanics that make the game fun. Last hitting, harassing in lane, brush control, etc are all essential skills. However, Dota just has more to it. Period. Where League has brush control, Dota utilizes a high ground mechanic. Where League has last hitting, Dota has last hitting and denying - meaning you can try to out-last hit your opponent or go in for harassment. You can stack and pull jungle creeps to have them fight lane creeps (minions), denying your enemy the exp. But the enemy can come into the jungle and contest your pull, taking it for himself instead. There's Smoke of Deceit, an item that gives stealth in an AoE for 100 gold until you get near an enemy hero (This one's more like Evelynn's stealth) that can be used to sneak right past sentry wards (Green wards). In addition, you can opt for dust of appearance over sentry wards (pinks) to detect stealth in an aoe around you, and apply a slow to anyone it reveals.

Oh, and Dota's shop is better. I have no issue with League's pricing system - I think it's perfectly fair - but Dota's is just cheaper, period. The community runs the show, for the most part. Which is great. And no losing to somebody because they have grinded out the optimal runes for a champ - There's no out-of-game character customization, no building an advantage based on time played.

I am convinced

Because it's a different experience in the same genre. Comparing LoL to DotA as if they're twins is like comparing north to east. They're close but still go in entirely opposite directions.

Play DotA, get a feel for it, and see if you like it more. If you like it more, stick with DotA. If you want to stay with LoL, maybe try and find new favorite heroes. It's never bad to have a diverse pallet. 

uh, east isn't the opposite direction of north

The League nerfs aren't even that bad and they usually end up buffing the champions as well. Honestly, they do drastic changes to the game every season so I really don't see how the new season changes are bothering you that much considering that it will lead to much more interesting gameplay and strategies.

Edit: I don't really play Dota very much.  I started on League  and decided to try Dota and just didn't really like it at all because I was so used to League. My advice, just try it and see what you like, not very hard...

Edited by IntoxicatedDog

The League nerfs aren't even that bad and they usually end up buffing the champions as well. Honestly, they do drastic changes to the game every season so I really don't see how the new season changes are bothering you that much considering that it will lead to much more interesting gameplay and strategies.

Edit: I don't really play Dota very much.  I started on League  and decided to try Dota and just didn't really like it at all because I was so used to League. My advice, just try it and see what you like, not very hard...

I just don't like what the game is becoming and feel the need to try new things

I just don't like what the game is becoming and feel the need to try new things

Nothing wrong with trying new things. You may find that you like DOTA2 better or you may find that you don't, there's only one way to find out.

My only major complaint with DOTA2 was the fact that the store system seems overly complicated. For someone who has experience with it I'm sure it's not that bad but for a new player having two separate shops to learn along with the delivery system adds levels of complexity and convolution that I don't find enjoyable. But hey, to each their own.

0.jpg

Cuz I have perfect micro skills.

Nothing wrong with trying new things. You may find that you like DOTA2 better or you may find that you don't, there's only one way to find out.

My only major complaint with DOTA2 was the fact that the store system seems overly complicated. For someone who has experience with it I'm sure it's not that bad but for a new player having two separate shops to learn along with the delivery system adds levels of complexity and convolution that I don't find enjoyable. But hey, to each their own.

0.jpg

Cuz I have perfect micro skills.

They nerfed him pretty badly :l, hoping Icefrog fixes that.

/>/>/>

-along with everything else they retarded buffed and nerfed to the ground-

Edit: -real post-

You'll find dota is much more open to finding your niche appeal from the start -You have all heroes unlocked from the start. You need synergy: no one hero can take on a team (unless they're stupidly farmed/fed, but even then) and the majority of the time, fights come down to the timing of abilities during fights. It takes awhile to get used to, but overall I find it a lot more fulfilling and more fun than league. If you want to start playing, hit me up on steam and I'll be happy to teach you/ play some with you and other people.

Editedit: 1kth post ? :D

Edited by TurtleFrenzy

If you're referring to 6.79, I don't really think it was a nerf. Sure, 1 armor will hurt early game, but Meepo's early game was always shit anyway. A better turn rate and a better cast on earthbind will be useful all through the game, and once he grabs Aghanim's that 1 armor is the only nerf he received.

If you're talking about before that, no comment - I don't remember meepo patch notes that far back :l

If you're referring to 6.79, I don't really think it was a nerf. Sure, 1 armor will hurt early game, but Meepo's early game was always shit anyway. A better turn rate and a better cast on earthbind will be useful all through the game, and once he grabs Aghanim's that 1 armor is the only nerf he received.

If you're talking about before that, no comment - I don't remember meepo patch notes that far back :l

His night vision is 800 now, they removed his 30% stat share, made a faster earthbind cast(Issue wasn't casting, it was actually hitting people with an easily dodgeable skill), nerfed his midgame with the ult level changes and the armor is huge considering how vulnerable he is now. He was pretty much nerfed to hell compared to what he was before.

His night vision is 800 now, they removed his 30% stat share, made a faster earthbind cast(Issue wasn't casting, it was actually hitting people with an easily dodgeable skill), nerfed his midgame with the ult level changes and the armor is huge considering how vulnerable he is now. He was pretty much nerfed to hell compared to what he was before.

The night vision is a big deal, I see that. But the stat share shouldn't matter much, Aghanim's was a quick pickup for Meepo anyway. And the cast point means you need to lead by .2 less seconds - it definitely makes it easier to hit, and gives less of a window for dodging. Don't get me wrong, it's still not a great skill, but hey, any improvement is an improvement. What I see now is that he gets his second Meepo faster, and needs to use it immediately to farm an Aghanim's as fast as possible. Outside of that, he'll be stronger - Don't underestimate turn rate changes, and don't underestimate the net cast buff.