Sign in to follow this  
GaryTheSnail

Dementia

Have you guys ever experienced a person becoming demented?

My grandmother is and I don't know how I should react to it.

Having conversations with her is almost impossible.

Maybe some of you have something to say about it.

Have you guys ever experienced a person becoming demented?

My grandmother is and I don't know how I should react to it.

Having conversations with her is almost impossible.

Maybe some of you have something to say about it.

Grandmother had Alzheimer's. It's extremely tough at first. It's just so odd, them not being able to remember your name, how old you are, or where they are. But you soon come to understand that it's not really their fault and there is nothing they can do about it. Still try to have conversations with her every once in a while, it may be frustrating when she doesn't remember something but just be completely honest with her and try not to argue with her if she don't believe you about something.

Seen it hundreds of times, the person you know is slowly going to disappear until she doesn't exist anymore. Sadly, that's how it works, just get it all out now and move on. Best thing you could do is get her to assisted living or a home to be taken care. She'll get violent towards the end, fair warning.

Had a friend whose grandparents lived with him. His one grandmother was slowly, very slowly going through the early stages of dementia. It's definitely a sad time, man. She thought her dogs were trying to kill her toward the end, after having raised them for so long. It kind of feels comical, but it's like watching a scene out of A Clockwork Orange; She would seem like she was making a joke, or faking it or something, but the reality was really quite grim.

One big tip of advice, don't lose your temper. They cannot control what they do or say. I am constantly with Dementia patients (I work as an EMT) and it can be temperamental, sometimes depressing. But you have to see it this way, it's life. We all have to go one way or another, as dark as that sounds. Eventually it'd be best to either put them in a home or in 24/7 care for their safety and comfort.

Sorry you have to go through with this, but we are all here for ya man. Stay strong. Hit me up on steam if ya need to chat

My grandfather once spent much of a day not remembering anything about me or my siblings, making us panic and get worried, but then we realized he pranked us. But I digress, I'm sorry for your hardship. I guess all you could do is just be patient with her, and take it easy. I won't say things will get better, but you should keep a positive look on it because I'm sure it's probably hitting their children harder than anything. Be supportive of course, you guys gotta take care of each other. 

If you really want to know, my great grandmother started to lose her memory years ago before she died. The good thing was that I was one of the few things she remembered properly, even if it was sad at the time.

And sorry for the last post- I've been having a rough week and I didn't give it nearly as much thought of as I should have when I posted it.

Edited by Lv. 100 Serperior