Sign in to follow this  
Papa

Interested In Getting a Motorcycle

Recently I've been looking into getting a motorcycle, not really sure what to look for for a starter bike, or anything else really.

Hoping to get a relatively cheap bike to start because I'm expecting to fall off, crash it into things, you know.

Anyone have any suggestions, extra information, anything that could help me make a decision.

I won't be getting it until March-ish, basically whenever the snow melts is as soon as I can ride since I'm not getting it before it snows.

i started with a ninja 500, plan on dropping it, perhaps not crashing into things though... ninja 250s are pretty cheap but top out at like 88mph..

fuck you illogical. 

anything under 75 horsepower works out pretty good as a starter bike so long as you have some self control. My first bike (and current) has 73 and I still enjoy the torque it puts out daily.

now finding the right type is always the challenge

first theres your average sports bike or crotch rocket equipped with an inline four cylinder motor. these are the ones that tend to have the most horsepower and fastest speeds. IF you wan't one in this are to start off with, stick with something that outputs under 75 horsepower. A yamaha seca ii (although sometimes ugly) is a very reasonable starter bike and can be found easily for under 2000 dollars in good condition.  

then you have your standard thumper motor or parallel twin. These are your ninja 500's and i believe the ninja 650 as well. the power output isn't that great, but the mileage is better than an I4 motor and these too are a dime a dozen. you can find a early to mid 2000's model for less than 2500. especially in the winter.

Next you have a vtwin. which is what i have. this is my favorite because it doesn't go insanely fast, but it gets up to speed very quickly and can do so from a low rpm. (as compared to an i4 in which you would probably have to down shift to gain the same kind of speed in the same amount of time) these will sound like a harley since most (if not all) harley's have vtwins. if you choose this class, I suggest an sv650 because they are loads of fun.

there are other models out there, and hundreds of different motor types, but these are the mains in my opinion. if you have no self discipline, you should probably stick with something smaller than a 500 and take the MSF class. Also, budget in a nice helmet, a jacket and gloves at the minimum. I stick with alpinestars becuase i know they produce quality stuff. as for the helmet, the money you invest in this, is what you value your own head at. So don't buy a shitty 60 dollar HJC helmet. Spend a couple hundred bucks on a nice helmet. not only will it be more comfortable, but if will protect alot better too.

any other questions just ask me. good luck!

i started with a ninja 500, plan on dropping it, perhaps not crashing into things though... ninja 250s are pretty cheap but top out at like 88mph..

I'm starting to lean towards the ninja 250 because of its price and everyone seems to say it's a good starter bike. I would also like to prefer to start on a slower motorcycle.

Some of the popular bikes seem to be the sv650, r6 and r1 on youtube?

fuck you illogical. 

anything under 75 horsepower works out pretty good as a starter bike so long as you have some self control. My first bike (and current) has 73 and I still enjoy the torque it puts out daily.

now finding the right type is always the challenge

then you have your standard thumper motor or parallel twin. These are your ninja 500's and i believe the ninja 650 as well. the power output isn't that great, but the mileage is better than an I4 motor and these too are a dime a dozen. you can find a early to mid 2000's model for less than 2500. especially in the winter.

there are other models out there, and hundreds of different motor types, but these are the mains in my opinion. if you have no self discipline, you should probably stick with something smaller than a 500 and take the MSF class. Also, budget in a nice helmet, a jacket and gloves at the minimum. I stick with alpinestars becuase i know they produce quality stuff. as for the helmet, the money you invest in this, is what you value your own head at. So don't buy a shitty 60 dollar HJC helmet. Spend a couple hundred bucks on a nice helmet. not only will it be more comfortable, but if will protect alot better too.

any other questions just ask me. good luck!

As for the MSF class I live in Canada and do not get that, so I'm looking towards taking another course for obvious safety reasons.

Seeing as I live in Canada and it seems to snow 8 of the 12 months I'll only get to ride those 4 months minimum.

I'm starting to lean towards the ninja 250 because of its price and everyone seems to say it's a good starter bike. I would also like to prefer to start on a slower motorcycle.

Some of the popular bikes seem to be the sv650, r6 and r1 on youtube?

As for the MSF class I live in Canada and do not get that, so I'm looking towards taking another course for obvious safety reasons.

Seeing as I live in Canada and it seems to snow 8 of the 12 months I'll only get to ride those 4 months minimum.

I dont know what your budget is, but the bike is like a car... you dont HAVE to go 150mph. slower = how far you twist the throttle. dont waste money on something you'll get bored with. the 250 is cheap, but in 2 months, you'll want a 600 or a 750. just think it through

i would say for sport bikes, gsx-rs are the most popular in the US with the 750 being one of the most popular in that line due to the speed+handling

I was always told its more fun to make a slow bike fast, than keep a fast bike slow. The true proper way to learn is to ride a small bike, then work your way up. An sv650 has 75 hp at most, but an r6 has 100+ and the r1 is even more. If you wanna go the smaller route, you'll enjoy a ninja 300 more, but they do cost more. Maybe perhaps you would be better on a cruiser? You can always test some bikes at a dealership to find what you really like.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII via Tapatalk 4.

two of my friends start with a ninja 250, after a month they went onto a r6 and gsxr. why? you'll get bored of a 250 really quick.

so from their experiences, i started out with a r6. and im loving every second of it. 

if you are planning to start out with a r1. don't you'll just gonna kill yourself with it. 

self lesson for motorcycle is big NO. MSF is a must and is the correct way to go.

Edited by Anonymous

Yeah I was thinking I wouldn't really mind dropping 2k for a starter bike because I wont have to worry as much, when I'm still trying to learn in the first place.

As well I didn't mean to say I was planning on starting with an r6 or r1, I was simply saying it seems a lot of people have them.

I might look into getting a bike that has a little more power or whatever then a ninja 250 so as you say I wont get bored as fast, which I predict will happen.

Edit: Would also like to mention I plan on buying it off someone as opposed to factory new.

Edited by Papa

Most people say just buy a used 250 considering it's cheaper and you won't mind as much if it falls over since as a starter which will most likely happen. I'm not speaking from experience or anything, that's just what I hear a lot since I should be getting a ninja 250 soon too

Most people say just buy a used 250 considering it's cheaper and you won't mind as much if it falls over since as a starter which will most likely happen. I'm not speaking from experience or anything, that's just what I hear a lot since I should be getting a ninja 250 soon too

Yeah that's what I'm planning on doing right now, I just now need to get my license for it, and take a motorcycle course prior since it'll help a lot and likely reduce the cost for insurance.

I recommend the gs500, ninja 500, ninja 250, and sv650. Also, if your into offroading at all, there are many dirt bikes you can turn into supermotos. The drz400 and wr250 are pretty good starters. the supermoto path can be a bit more expensive, but rewarding if you want to become more comfortable with the mechanical/electrical side of bikes. anything else I'd say has already been said. 

I recommend the gs500, ninja 500, ninja 250, and sv650. Also, if your into offroading at all, there are many dirt bikes you can turn into supermotos. The drz400 and wr250 are pretty good starters. the supermoto path can be a bit more expensive, but rewarding if you want to become more comfortable with the mechanical/electrical side of bikes. anything else I'd say has already been said. 

I was always told its more fun to make a slow bike fast, than keep a fast bike slow. The true proper way to learn is to ride a small bike, then work your way up. An sv650 has 75 hp at most, but an r6 has 100+ and the r1 is even more. If you wanna go the smaller route, you'll enjoy a ninja 300 more, but they do cost more. Maybe perhaps you would be better on a cruiser? You can always test some bikes at a dealership to find what you really like.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII via Tapatalk 4.

You two are the same person to me. 

Yeaah mayne, supermotards all the way!

Besides from that Skotti and Skitt already got you covered on most parts of the advise giving.