Sign in to follow this  
Velo

Thinking about buying..

A brown 1988 Dodge Ramcharger.

My buddy wants to sell it to me for $500 (I know nothing about mopar)

Has a worn out 318 under the hood with a 3 speed transmission. Truck runs and drives, but runs like shit and could use a rebuild. Has working 4 wheel drive, rust on rear quarter and doors. comes with 2 sets of american racing wheels. Tan interior is near-perfect.

Worth it?

Edited by Velo

What happen to the monte? Don't just keep buying cars man, work on getting what you got in good condition. 

Got in an accident a few weeks ago, it needs a new driver's side quarter panel and a rear. Right now I need something just to get me back and forth to work while the monte gets fixed. I wanted to park the thing anyways to work on the suspension and do stuff to the engine. Plus a 4 wheel drive truck would be useful if we ever got another crazy snow storm.

Edited by Velo

Got in an accident a few weeks ago, it needs a new driver's side quarter panel and a rear. Right now I need something just to get me back and forth to work while the monte gets fixed. I wanted to park the thing anyways to work on the suspension and do stuff to the engine. Plus a 4 wheel drive truck would be useful if we ever got another crazy snow storm.

True and this winter could be bad from what I've heard, but then again maryland flips a shit every winter.  Sell the stupid racing tires and get that thing fixed up. 

True and this winter could be bad from what I've heard, but then again maryland flips a shit every winter.  Sell the stupid racing tires and get that thing fixed up. 

The brand of the wheels is american racing, they aren't actually racing wheels. Basically just shiny slotted rims.

The wheels you could easily get 500 out of if you wanted to. Just the wheels though. My dad picked up a set of amercan racing for 300 bucks with like 50% tread tires. was good deal on my end however.

also could scrap the ramcharger for ~3-400 pending on scrap prices. you could potentially make money on this lol.

Edited by Skotti

I currently have a 1988 Dodge Ramcharger 5.2 liter (318 CID) sitting in our driveway. I would get it, five hundred is a good deal.  

Some pros and cons about that truck/engine:

Pro: Ours is 2WD and does excellent in the snow, so Im sure 4WD can only be better (Do note I live in Washington and and four inches is a lot of snow for us). 

Con: The biggest problem I know of is the miles per gallon it gets.. roughly only 12-16.

Pro: Parts. That year 318 you can find parts all over junkyards, I even see quite a few whole engines with low miles on sale. 

Con: Throttle body is not as reliable as a carburetor.. if you do end up doing a rebuild I would change over to a carb system.

Hope that helps!

Also note, that is not really a "Ramcharger"; that is a Ram truck. :)

I currently have a 1988 Dodge Ramcharger 5.2 liter (318 CID) sitting in our driveway. I would get it, five hundred is a good deal.  

Some pros and cons about that truck/engine:

Pro: Ours is 2WD and does excellent in the snow, so Im sure 4WD can only be better (Do note I live in Washington and and four inches is a lot of snow for us). 

Con: The biggest problem I know of is the miles per gallon it gets.. roughly only 12-16.

Pro: Parts. That year 318 you can find parts all over junkyards, I even see quite a few whole engines with low miles on sale. 

Con: Throttle body is not as reliable as a carburetor.. if you do end up doing a rebuild I would change over to a carb system.

Hope that helps!

Also note, that is not really a "Ramcharger"; that is a Ram truck. :)

Yeah, I figured that one out lol. It currently runs like shit due to the TBI, constantly have to unhook the battery and reset the computer, and it runs better afterwards. I've been looking on craigslist for a used carbureted intake for the 318, and drop a quadrajet on top.