Sign in to follow this  
Skotti

Moving steam games

Is there anyway to move steam game files from a portable hard drive to my computer? I would like to download games on a faster internet source without having to move my desktop. I have pretty slow internet where I live and it would take weeks to download a game in its entirety.

yeah, basically you just drag the completed game folder to the appropriate folder then you just go to install. it will say its downloading, but its just verifying the files you already have. i've done it a few times. 

So just grab the game folder and copy/paste? or do what fat black woman said and delete everything and copy/paste the two folders? I would prefer the first lol

So just grab the game folder and copy/paste? or do what fat black woman said and delete everything and copy/paste the two folders? I would prefer the first lol

There is a guide in the steam client itself. I would listen to that.

YOU CANT DRAG AND DROP THE FILES

Just right click on the game and press "backup game files" 

(This is for individual games, you can drag an drop your whole steam folder)

Edited by Sean

When I put steam on my laptop, I literally just copy pasted my entire steam folder from my pc, put it on a portable hard drive, installed steam on the laptop and then pasted the copied steam folder from my portable hard drive to the laptop.

If you're trying to do individual games, idk.

Edited by Jiyeon

When I put steam on my laptop, I literally just copy pasted my entire steam folder from my pc, put it on a portable hard drive, installed steam on the laptop and then pasted the copied steam folder from my portable hard drive to the laptop.

If you're trying to do individual games, idk.

I was talking about individual games. You cant move steam library files from x computer and put it into your steam library on y computer. Doesnt work that way. The whole Steam folder you can but some people choose not to do this.

Yeah if you didn't move your steam folder or anything off it, it might be here 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common

sean, you are very wrong. 

you CAN move individual games from one source to another if you know where to put the folder.

FOR EXAMPLE!:

say i needed to download RAGE.

i would use my laptop to download it at a fast internet source. 

it would be downloaded to the folder location C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\RAGE.

i would move that entire folder, as in the RAGE folder, as in the folder, inside steamapps, labeled RAGE, to the desktop location C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps.

at this point, my steam library would probably still say that i need to install it. so i click install and get it started. it will install the random little text files that make sure it will verify correctly next time you need to verify it, and it will verify the files you already have installed. 

Thats it. 

its not fucking difficult. 

I use SteamMover by traynier. It allows me to format a steam library folder in my D: drive and only use my C: drive for certain games because its a 128gb SSD. Install first into your C: drive(or whatever your default drive is) then use SteamMover to allocate the game you just installed into the new steam library that was prepared in the other drive. I had trouble moving css and L4D2, they just wouldn't verify the files correctly and redownload the game into my C: drive.

When I used to reinstall windows all the time I just moved my steam folder from program files all over the fucking place and it would work every time I reinstalled without having to download anything.