Sign in to follow this  
Zand3r

What are Your Opinions on Whistleblowers?

There has been a multitude of information coming out about the secrets our government has been keeping from us.  Recently, Snowden came out with information about the NSA spying illegally on the United States population as well as spying on other nations.  Wikileaks is also in charge of releasing information with several informants deep inside the government releasing top secret documents that give us an insight on what sketchy things are being done to watch us.

To counter this argument, you could state that the release of information has also uncovered Americans deep undercover in different areas around the world.

Either way, the government is doing some sketchy things that are infringing on our rights.  I believe whistleblowers are needed to uncover these sketchy things.

Whistleblowers are fine, but when you steal two laptops and basically give one to China and one to Russia, that's espionage. If you're uncovering unjustice you're fine, but idiots like Snowden and Manning like to just throw a large amount of damaging documents alongside their claimed 'This is good for the people' documents.

Hey seisan if you havent noticed this is in NEWS AND DEBATE

What's your point? He's talking about recent news and opening it up for discussion and debate.

Edited by Oreo

Whistleblowers are fine, but when you steal two laptops and basically give one to China and one to Russia, that's espionage. If you're uncovering unjustice you're fine, but idiots like Snowden and Manning like to just throw a large amount of damaging documents alongside their claimed 'This is good for the people' documents.

Yes, but look at the punishment Snowden faces if he was to get extradited back to the states. I don't know the full story and couldn't care but from what I know, my opinion is that he's risked his life and freedom so everyone can know about these things.

Edited by Eek

Yes, but look at the punishment Snowden faces if he was to get extradited back to the states. I don't know the full story and couldn't care but from what I know, my opinion is that he's risked his life and freedom so everyone can know about these things.

Let me make this clear; I'm OK with whistleblowing on privacy issues like Snowden did(Manning was meh, we already knew warcrimes were being committed. They happen in every war but you try to keep them from happening. Free will etc,) but when you leak diplomatic cables, possible secret info regarding military and many other things to the enemy, then you get what happened to Manning. Manning deserved the punishment if anything, he leaked thousands of unrelated damaging documents that had no reason to be leaked by a whistleblower nor for the public to know about. Snowden on the other side, stole laptops full of government info then basically gives them to two major countries that we don't have the greatest relationships with. While they could argue they were whistleblowers, they also dropped a large amount of sensitive data unrelated to what they were trying to uncover.

I don't know man. It's just that the whistleblowers seem so fucking elitist and "holier than thou". They think they can push people around and tell them that what they're doing is wrong.Some of them are practically blind to everything but what's in front of them, and fail to see the bigger picture. I've met a few people who would be classified as whistleblowers and they said that they felt that they were giving back to the community. I just don't get it. Can't they see that everyone else thinks that they're terrible half the time?

Here's the worst video of a whistleblower using his misplaced sense of justice and what appears to be a god complex to push people around.

/>

I don't know man. It's just that the whistleblowers seem so fucking elitist and "holier than thou". They think they can push people around and tell them that what they're doing is wrong.Some of them are practically blind to everything but what's in front of them, and fail to see the bigger picture. I've met a few people who would be classified as whistleblowers and they said that they felt that they were giving back to the community. I just don't get it. Can't they see that everyone else thinks that they're terrible half the time?

Here's the worst video of a whistleblower using his misplaced sense of justice and what appears to be a god complex to push people around.

I don't know you, but I love you all the same.

Eh. Depends on what they do with the information.

Let me make this clear; I'm OK with whistleblowing on privacy issues like Snowden did(Manning was meh, we already knew warcrimes were being committed. They happen in every war but you try to keep them from happening. Free will etc,) but when you leak diplomatic cables, possible secret info regarding military and many other things to the enemy, then you get what happened to Manning. Manning deserved the punishment if anything, he leaked thousands of unrelated damaging documents that had no reason to be leaked by a whistleblower nor for the public to know about. Snowden on the other side, stole laptops full of government info then basically gives them to two major countries that we don't have the greatest relationships with. While they could argue they were whistleblowers, they also dropped a large amount of sensitive data unrelated to what they were trying to uncover.

Snowden wants to come back to the US but he wants a fair trial at first.  He should definitely be punished but I think it's a good thing that he released the information regarding the NSA surveillance.  Manning is a whole different situation because a ton of the info he released put American lives in jeopardy.  Since this whole Snowden issue just happened, we still don't know the full extent of what he really released.

I agree with your opinion on this topic though.  There is a time for whistleblowers but they also need to control what they release.

What's your point? He's talking about recent news and opening it up for discussion and debate.

Where are you getting evidence, not anonymous speculation, that he stole labtops and gave Intel to the Chinese and Russians? He's denied doing so multiple times and there haven't been any sources stating he's done so either. Besides unverifiable assumptions made by government officials of course.

Anonymous assumptions don't count as evidence.