Sign in to follow this  
Levyon

Linux?

Has anyone ever messed with Linux? I'm having to setup three old computers with Linux for my internship. At the moment I'm going with Puppy Linux (Yes, I realize it sounds gay.). Would like to know if there is a better Linux for computers made around 98 besides DSL(Damn Small Linux) or Puppy Linux.

Has anyone ever messed with Linux? I'm having to setup three old computers with Linux for my internship. At the moment I'm going with Puppy Linux (Yes, I realize it sounds gay.). Would like to know if there is a better Linux for computers made around 98 besides DSL(Damn Small Linux) or Puppy Linux.

Wayyyy too many distributions to choose from, which is why Linux is a bit complicated.

I had good results with openbsd, and I think it was Red Hat?

I'm not exactly sure what would be the best for a W98, but check those out.

BSD is not linux and Red Hat? Thats probably going to be a alternative to Microsoft OS' for computer companys. Red Hat is one of the best Linux OS' but not for a load a shit 98 computer... Thanks though.

Yeah, I might be able to do an old version of Ubuntu. I'm trying right now to get Linux on a 300Mhz computer with 256Mb of ram. Fun fun...

I'm about to put Ubuntu Ultimate on a dual boot on my computer. I have tried, but it won't let me resize my partition... But yes, Ubuntu is one of the best out there besides Red Hat, but Ubuntu is more user friendly. lol My boss told me to put on Puppy Linux on all the computers... But he is the boss so I have to obey. Problem solved :P

Guest cityismine

How about Fluxbuntu or Xubuntu. Theses are ubuntu distros with much lighter windows managers. I think Fluxbuntu is speedily fast, since it uses the fluxbox windows manager.

lol Ubuntu Ultimate is insane. Its on a DVD. Thats how big it is. It has tons of 3D editing software, features, preinstalled apps, and stuff like that. It is a very needy OS though. My boss said it should work with 2gigs of ram :P I would use it all the time, if it supported Windows programs.