Sign in to follow this  
MOFLSTOMP

Router/DHCP/Network Issues

Okay, so my home network is in a state of disarray. The setup works, but I can't access Router #1's admin panel.

-My PS3 and Gaming PC (Along with WiFi) are handled via an ASUS RT-N53 in my room with DHCP disabled and the router connected to the LAN port in slot #3.

-This router (Acting as a wifi-enabled switch) is connected to a second router, a D-Link DIR-601, which handles a connection to the family computer and the internet.

Again, everything works, but I am unable to access the admin control panel through an IP address, and the network just recognizes the RT-N53 as a generic switch.

The only way you can access the admin cp of a router with DHCP disabled is to manually set your computer's IP address to what it would be if the router DID have DHCP.

For example, say the pc your on is behind 2 routers. 

The first router (connected to the internet modem) has an IP of 192.168.1.1, while the second router (that has DHCP disabled and that you are connected to) has an IP of 192.168.255.1. You would have to manually set your pc's IP address to something like 192.168.255.2 and set your DNS and default gateway to the second router's IP (192.168.255.1)

If you do that, you should get access to the second router's set up web page, but keep in mind you will lose internet connectivity on that machine until you set your IP, etc. back to automatic.

Edited by Velo

Don't make 2 separate networks, which is what I'm sure you DIDN'T do.

Do you remember the IP you set on this 2nd router? Did you set an IP to it?

Could there be an IP conflict with both routers? (both 192.168.1.1, etc.)

Run a program like nmap to find out your network equipment and computers.

did you fix it? if you're unsure on the IP; it should count as a hop; from your computer use traceroute (tracert in windows or traceroute in *nix) and trace to google or some shit; just stop the trace after 3 hops; 1st hop should be your rt-n53 (unless the gui actually lets you set it as a switch) 2nd hop should be your gateway (router 2) 3rd hop should be your ISPs router.  if you arent seeing your n53 as a hop; unplug it from your network, plug your PC into port 1; static IP your pc to 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0 ; hit the reset button on the n53, browse to http://192.168.1.1 use username admin with password admin and set it up again. Take note of the IP assigned to this device and change your l/p

you could also look at making the n53 your core router; tossing dd-wrt on it and setting up QoS to ensure your devices get priority... you dont want netflix and voip killing your ping time y'know :)

Edited by driz

i didnt "accidentally" necro, the guy never said if he fixed the issue; hence the start of my post "did you fix it?"

its a month ago; get over it and be helpful

i didnt "accidentally" necro, the guy never said if he fixed the issue; hence the start of my post "did you fix it?"

its a month ago; get over it and be helpful

Well, it's my topic and I'm saying it's a necro, so I solved it after I stopped posting >_>