Sign in to follow this  
I Am Mr. Big ((:))+<

Best Gaming Laptop for College Students?

Check out www.cyberpowerpc.com and use like PC part picker to find something good that you want, there are tons of charts out there for the best deals for your price range, for desktops that is.. Good look finding something nice, I snagged mine for around 900$ black Friday, free 1TB hard drive, far cry 3, and free liquid cooling, and they always have sales, so check it out.

If you aren't moving too far away from home and can transport a desktop relatively easily, just do that and get a netbook or something of the sort if you are convinced you need to take a computer with you to classes. A desktop is a far better investment since you said you want it to last a while (which laptops really don't).

Take it from me, to never buy a 'gaming laptop'. 

Ask anyone in sG that plays comp with me, 'gaming laptops' bring a lot of rage and take away all your money. 

And even GTA, DAT SHIT CRASHES EVERY 5 minutes for you. :L

Basically what everybody else said, just build a desktop. If you must, MSI makes pretty solid laptops for gaming and a reasonable price range. They use Nvidea GPU's which is a plus. 

I fail to understand why so many people are bashing the idea of a laptop which can support games. Not talking about a razer blade yet something with decent GPU etc so that when I do play games i don't get 15 fps

I fail to understand why so many people are bashing the idea of a laptop which can support games. Not talking about a razer blade yet something with decent GPU etc so that when I do play games i don't get 15 fps

Reading the fucking thread might help.

If you're in need of a laptop to do work on the go, a gaming laptop would be terrible because it would be heavy, big, and have subpar battery life. If you just wanted a computer to play games, a gaming laptop really can't compete with a desktop of probably half the cost. Solution? Buy a decent desktop and then buy a netbook or slightly larger laptop that has decent battery life and is lightweight.

The only reason I bought a laptop that could play games was because I was moving to Korea for a year so taking my desktop was not possible. Since I've been back for a year, rare is it that I use my laptop; don't even take it to class to take notes because I prefer pencil and paper.

I had the Army buy me a "multimedia" laptop which was a beast circa 2009. Heat is always an issue and the fans are always on and loud as shit. Its still a medium-low gaming laptop today. I can play GTA-4 on medium and BFBC2 on low. However if you touch the bottom of the laptop, you might burn your hand.

Most people know that I have to keep my wallet under my massive laptop to keep it from overheating.

Like most people in this thread have already said, don't do it.

Do you have a 17"?

I only posted this to find something better than my current laptop. It's not a gaming laptop, its not even a fucking multimedia one. It's a Gateway NV57C. It runs Garry's Mod at like 40-50+ frames but struggles with Bioshock/ L.A. Noire, GTA IV, Saints Row, ect ect. CS GO has significantly lower frames so if there's something that exists that can run all this on a laptop, please let me know. Otherwise, I'd like to find out more about desktops, which may be the option I'll end up going for, but portability is important for me.

Jesus Christ you may as well get a desktop and it'll have the same portability. If you're going to get a laptop don't get one that weighs 10 pounds, it completely defeats the purpose. There's no point in paying that much for a laptop, only to have it be a pain in the ass when you have to lug it around.

Edited by BananaPeelz

Guest Fohacidal

Jesus Christ you may as well get a desktop and it'll have the same portability. If you're going to get a laptop don't get one that weighs 10 pounds, it completely defeats the purpose.

Technically no it doesnt. A laptop is a laptop

That laptop is so sexy I can't describe my feelings for it. It's even got 3gigs of DDR5 dedicated memory... That would have me set for a few years

That laptop is so sexy I can't describe my feelings for it. It's even got 3gigs of DDR5 dedicated memory... That would have me set for a few years

That laptop is a desktop replacement which is gonna be pretty annoying to lug around (most bags aren't built to carry 17''+ laptops, not to mention it is 9.2 lbs). On top of that, I'm pretty sure it's gonna heat up like a mofo and have ass for battery life so you'll have to carry around the charger everywhere you go as well. You'll eventually not even carry it to class and then it's going to sit in your house like a desktop.. just buy a desktop for 1/2-2/3 the price that will give you the ability to upgrade parts later when you need to (aka the video card, which runs its course after about 4 years) and use a pen and paper for notes or a cheap netbook.

But logic doesn't matter; Playing CS:GO in the library at your school is more important. You right.

But logic doesn't matter; Playing CS:GO in the library at your school is more important. You right.

I'm not saying games are more important than school. I did quite well throughout high school and I have self control. I just hate the fact that I cannot play the games I want to. Unwinding after a stressful day with games has helped me a lot in the past, and you have a lot more down time in college. Studying, obviously, eats much of that time. But I'm not worried, I'm diabetic so drinking/partying isn't something I'm interested in. I love working out (although I look quite small) and swimming. As long as I have a place to eat, sleep, study, I'm happy. Playing games is just a reward to myself for going through all the stress of the work needed.

My laptop would stay in a dorm. It will *not* leave it unless I go home. I'm not going to "play CS:GO in the library". An old fashioned notebook would be all I'll need for school, if anything was needed more, I'd get a tablet, no worries. I have scholarship money I've been saving and I work full time as a head lifeguard at my pool. My school also gave me enough money that I won't need to worry about student loans or anything else. I'm just confused as to why everybody is bent on freaking a shit and getting on my case. 

I'm not saying games are more important than school. I did quite well throughout high school and I have self control. I just hate the fact that I cannot play the games I want to. Unwinding after a stressful day with games has helped me a lot in the past, and you have a lot more down time in college. Studying, obviously, eats much of that time. But I'm not worried, I'm diabetic so drinking/partying isn't something I'm interested in. I love working out (although I look quite small) and swimming. As long as I have a place to eat, sleep, study, I'm happy. Playing games is just a reward to myself for going through all the stress of the work needed.

My laptop would stay in a dorm. It will *not* leave it unless I go home. I'm not going to "play CS:GO in the library". An old fashioned notebook would be all I'll need for school, if anything was needed more, I'd get a tablet, no worries. I have scholarship money I've been saving and I work full time as a head lifeguard at my pool. My school also gave me enough money that I won't need to worry about student loans or anything else. I'm just confused as to why everybody is bent on freaking a shit and getting on my case. 

Because as you said your laptop would never leave your room nullifying the need for a gaming laptop. It would be much smarter, in terms of gaming power and money, to just get a desktop and a cheap very portable laptop/tablet for school. Not sure why you're so bent on getting a laptop that can run games if you don't even need the portability.