Sign in to follow this  
Mitch

Hitting Your Kids Increases Their Risk of Mental Illness

This has been pretty evident for a while now. My only question is how they could really know that the increase in mental illness is a result of the physical abuse itself, and not just a result of inheritance of their parents potential for mental illness, which would likely be higher in that of parents who hit their kids. I'm sure they've attempted controlled for that somehow, though.

Hitting Your Kids Barely Increases Their Risk of Mental Illness

Being 1.5 times as likely to contract various mental illnesses is not even close to 'barely'.

Edited by Dyscivist

From having to learn in my Criminology class, yes, yes it definitely does increase abnormal behavior, and will have a much higher chance of them doing it to their future SO and kids. I wish I had the statistics for the mental health of children who are beaten/abused by family members, where it shows the likelyhood of the crimes that have a higher frequency of being committed by abused individuals.

Guest Fohacidal

I dont like how this whole article is put together. The researcher even acknowledges how she dismissed spanking in the research and just went straight to hitting and grabbing. Its all somewhat subjective but I really doubt a spank to dat ass leads to mental complications later on in life. Instead all the study did is reaffirm the obvious, that straight up abuse does cause problems, the issue is that it tries to masquerade the correlation to all kinds of punishment.

This has been pretty evident for a while now. My only question is how they could really know that the increase in mental illness is a result of the physical abuse itself, and not just a result of inheritance of their parents potential for mental illness, which would likely be higher in that of parents who hit their kids. I'm sure they've attempted controlled for that somehow, though.

Hitting Your Kids Barely Increases Their Risk of Mental Illness

Being 1.5 times as likely to contract various mental illnesses is not even close to 'barely'.

My point really being there are much more stressful events in life that are even more likely to cause such mental illnesses than simply being hit. Physical Abuse is an entirely different story in my perspective and I wouldn't categorize it as just being 'hit'. Even so the fact they became alcoholics or abused drugs could be due to factors that weren't necessarily because they were 'hit' as a kid. The way the article is written makes it seem like a good spank on the ass every once in a while is just as bad as an alcoholic father that beats you everyday.

tl;dr: This article is about abusing children, not punishing them. This article is misleading. Critical reading is important.

Tell me everyone, when you think of physical punishment from your parents what do you think of? You think of a spanking. That is obvious, almost everyone gets spanked. However, when we actually read the article: "She did not examine spanking because it’s not easy to define." SHE DIDN'T EVEN ACCOUNT FOR THE MOST STANDARD TYPE OF "HITTING YOUR CHILD" EVER! I can define spanking. Can you? If we actually included all kinds of "hitting" including spanking, I posit that there woudl be a GREAT deal of normalization of her statistics. Add in the fact that the fucking picture on the website is a dad spanking his kid and you end up with a lot of people who only read headlines being misled.

Then lets see the part of the study where this researcher was able to account for children with behavioral disorders being more likely to experience physical punishment. Zachmanman is dead on, and this is another massively glaring red mark on this study. Correlation =/= causation argument applies here. And just for shits and giggles, lets expand this study to include ALL mental disorders. Lets look at the rate of these "abused" children who end up with narcissistic personality disorder, or histrionic.

Edited by Longcat

Guest Fohacidal

tl;dr: This article is about abusing children, not punishing them. This article is misleading. Critical reading is important.

Tell me everyone, when you think of physical punishment from your parents what do you think of? You think of a spanking. That is obvious, almost everyone gets spanked. However, when we actually read the article: "She did not examine spanking because it’s not easy to define." SHE DIDN'T EVEN ACCOUNT FOR THE MOST STANDARD TYPE OF "HITTING YOUR CHILD" EVER! I can define spanking. Can you? If we actually included all kinds of "hitting" including spanking, I posit that there woudl be a GREAT deal of normalization of her statistics. Add in the fact that the fucking picture on the website is a dad spanking his kid and you end up with a lot of people who only read headlines being misled.

Then lets see the part of the study where this researcher was able to account for children with behavioral disorders being more likely to experience physical punishment. Zachmanman is dead on, and this is another massively glaring red mark on this study. Correlation =/= causation argument applies here. And just for shits and giggles, lets expand this study to include ALL mental disorders. Lets look at the rate of these "abused" children who end up with narcissistic personality disorder, or histrionic.

I didnt mention it in my previous post but yeah this article was made for headline readers (aka people who dont actually read the article)

I didnt mention it in my previous post but yeah this article was made for headline readers (aka people who dont actually read the article)

I like Zach's explanation better.

or maybe children with mental illnesses just get hit more because they're more annoying to their parents