Sign in to follow this  
Mitch

Elder Abuse @ UCI

A well-dressed man is busted in a con while picking up his elderly mother after forcing her to beg for money for several hours in the cold. This event occurred at the UCI Town Center shopping center (4100 Campus Drive, Irvine, CA 92612).

I first observed the elderly women at 11:00 PM outside of "Cha for Tea" coffee shop. It was a cold evening, 55 degrees. Here sat a very old Asian women (possibly in her 80's) with white hair in a wheelchair holding a sign that said simply "HELP ME."

I asked her for her name, and how I could help her. She said her name was Cathy, and she asked for money because she had been homeless for six months. This was part of some type of a scam because she was not homeless, her son picks her up every evening in a very nice Toyota Prius!!

She appeared to have signs of disability (perhaps mental illness) based on her rambling speech. A nearby UCI Town Center security guard (young Caucasian male in his early 20's) said that she is often dropped off there by her son, who drives a silver Toyota Prius. He then picks her up later in the evening. The security guard said this has been going on for "years."

A google search for "cathy uci wheelchair" reveals at least three references to an old asian women begging for money from a wheelchair. The dates of these articles and references to the UCI Town Center reveal that this has been going on since April 9th, 2011.

April 9th, 2011

"I could not anticipate the even more insane twist at the end of the day, when her son got in my face with a camera and threatened me with all kinds of legal action."

http://jomattoblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/crazy-cathy.html

October 25th, 2011

"the old asian woman in the wheelchair in UTC is there every damn day"

http://www.newuniversity.org/2011/10/opinion/keep-our-campus-free-of-the-home...

May 15th, 2012

"here was an elderly woman in a wheelchair begging out in the center. I thought that Social Security is supposed to help people her age and in her physical condition so they don't have to beg."

(see 3rd comment in this review of the UCI Town Centerhttp://www.yelp.com/biz/university-town-center-irvine-2 )

I decided to wait and see if the security guard's story was true, and at 2:00 AM, a Toyota Prius pulled up next to the old lady and out stepped a well dressed 6'0" tall Asian male. He approached her and proceeded to wheel her over to the passenger side of the car.

This video picks it up from there. The guy could be nuts because he starts shouting about Wells Fargo bank and the funny thing is he attempts to name drop the chief of police and the district attorney.

It is my hope that justice will be done for this old and disabled lady. If she is part of this scam and not a victim then this is even harder to believe.

Though context was given, I was hoping it would be present in the video :/.

Anyway. That dude's mad. The way he stuttered and neglected to respond (since his arrogance was making him respond anyway) to the questions asked while he was "thinking" about the DA's name form a beautifully delicious betrayal of his guilt.

Edited by camelFun

HE DISGRACE HIS FATHER! DAS WHY HE NO DOCTOR!

TALK TO ME WHEN YOU DOCTA.

On a serious note; she probably does have a mental illness and he's abusing her simply for the amount of money she can bring in. He doesn't seem to need the money though. I can imagine him using her to pay for her own, presumably costly, medicine, if she does have an illness, but the cruelty of how he's getting the money is counterproductive. It's a really odd situation, can't think of why the guy would do something like that to his own mother but people surprise us sometimes.

The Hawai'ian version of this confrontation:

Protagonist: "Ho u fakka, y for dis old laydeh stay hea in da cold?"

Angtagonist: "Braddah, u bes not for try um, kay?"

Protagonist: "Ho brah, I gon for lick you"

*A crowd of small Micronesians and Filipinos gathers"

Antagonist: "U fakka, like scrap eh?"

Protagonist: "Shit fakka, I stay dakine BJ Penn's nephew brah, I fakkin lick you, so irraz."

*A LONE CAUCASIAN VIGILANTE APPEARS!*

White Guy: "Hey, this is no way to settle this sort of situation--I'm calling the police."

Everyone else: "HO, BANG DAT FAKKA"

-------------------

The white guy dies, granny continues to be used.

YOU'RE GONNA LOVE EWA BEACH PROK (PRAK), YOU'RE GONNA LOVE IT!

mw5pc9.jpg

Protagonist: "Shit fakka, I stay dakine BJ Penn's nephew brah, I fakkin lick you, so irraz."

White Guy: "Hey, this is no way to settle this sort of situation--I'm calling the police."

-------------------

mw5pc9.jpg

Milk sprayed out of my nose everywhere. Fuck you.

Edited by Blackmanvoice

It was a cold evening, 55 degrees.

LOL FIFTY-FIVE DEGREES COLD. IT'S 3:30 HERE AND IT'S 26 DEGREES. 0 FUCKS GIVEN. #ohiofag

-------------------

mw5pc9.jpg

fuckin hell I spit out my fried chicken from laughing so hard

Edited by The KGame

As a Wisconsinite, I have to laugh at the 55 degrees.

On the subject of the news though, that's pretty messed up that he's exploiting her like that. I just can't believe they have been getting away with it for years, the guy exploiting was obviously scared about being approached. It probably had never happened and started throwing out all this law suit talk.

Although this does cause me to wonder how many people have legitimate video camera's, I mean come on the exploiter just pulled it out of nowhere.

Hopefully something will be done about it, we can't have our elderly sitting out in the "cold".

On an unrelated note, my town has a high of 9 today.

Edited by B-rock