Sign in to follow this  
Smooth-eh

Linux OS

Linux is good for server work, Its fun to mess around with, not if you are gaming.

Gets annoying if you are a gamer. I used to use it as my home desktop when I wasn't gaming as much. I still use it as at my work for my desktop.

If you don't need windows for a specific program like games then I feel gnome/kde is up to snuff.

Linux I feel is at a point where it is good for complete noobs or experts. However, if you are in that middle ground where you like to tinker with shit yet don't know fully what you are doing then you can get in trouble. It is when you start to mess with stuff that you might have to pull out the command line to fix what you messed up. Generally casual computer users aren't going to be messing with stuff that will resort in them having to use the command line.

The main problem with fixing stuff or tweaking stuff on linux is if you search for help you are going to find ways to fix it by command line. It is nice you can find the help but the command line is big turn off to a lot of people.

Edited by centran

Linux is good for server work, Its fun to mess around with, not if you are gaming.

Gets annoying if you are a gamer. I used to use it as my home desktop when I wasn't gaming as much. I still use it as at my work for my desktop.

If you don't need windows for a specific program like games then I feel gnome/kde is up to snuff.

Linux I feel is at a point where it is good for complete noobs or experts. However, if you are in that middle ground where you like to tinker with shit yet don't know fully what you are doing then you can get in trouble. It is when you start to mess with stuff that you might have to pull out the command line to fix what you messed up. Generally casual computer users aren't going to be messing with stuff that will resort in them having to use the command line.

The main problem with fixing stuff or tweaking stuff on linux is if you search for help you are going to find ways to fix it by command line. It is nice you can find the help but the command line is big turn off to a lot of people.

This, a million times. So many people have look at Linux without even trying it. They just read information about it, or some rant about a bad distro, and they chalk it up as a PoS.

___

I'm contemplating getting my family onto Linux—replace all the machines in the house with Linux.

The problem with Linux is that it's still being worked on, so to speak. I don't mean to say it is this blob in which more and more goo is added, but rather that there are so many options already made, being made, and planned due to how open it is. That said, looking at Linux in the Computer Science industry (including Business and E-Commerce and blah blah blah), it's most definitely the more favourable operating system. That said, I'm sure none of you have any care for that application of Linux, so I will carry on.

There are so many easy-to-use (user-friendly) distributions of Linux that anybody who picks up a random distro nowadays wouldn't have a problem using it in the least (that in mind, I'd like to think more than half the online/PC-gaming community hasn't even installed their own copy of Windows, but rather had it done for them). The issue is, obviously, gaming.

I'm predicting Linux will be the platform for gaming in the next, say, 6-10 years, perhaps sooner. Steam is making such a big push for gaming on Linux with the Steam platform for Linux as well as the Steambox which runs Linux (think of the operating system for the Steambox as a distribution of Linux (which it is, really) that Steam has created). Of course, at this point in time, the games on Steam for Linux are, for the most part, Valve games as well as some indie titles which their respective developers felt would be a great addition to the Linux system as well as its community.

I can see great things happening in the future as far as the composition of Linux and gaming is concerned.

Off the gaming topic; I have a friend who had (maybe still has—I'm not quite sure) plans for building a house (his major is in house constructing or something, I really have no idea) which will be completely controlled from a single home network connected to a bunch of Raspberry Pis running a GUI-less distro of Linux.

Exciting stuff, man. Evolution in modern technology == great times ahead :).

EDIT: Just felt like adding this in since it is Linux-related.

Google employees all use Linux, and for those users who are used to the Mac operating system(s), Google made a distro, Goobuntu, which is really justan "updated" version of Ubuntu, resembling Mac OS X a lot more than, say, GNOME for example. Just some comfort stuff I suppose, yeh?

Side-note: The Mac OS is based not-so-loosely nor-so-tightly on UNIX. Mac users use basically a very altered Linux operating system (functionalities differ in different places, obviously).

Edited by camelFun

I have my computer Dual-Booted to run Redhat and Windows 8.

When i feel like tinkering, or im in class, i boot in Redhat, but when im at home or in a gaming mood, ill play on Windows 8.

Honestly, anyone who uses Linux for a desktop OS is just a fucking hipster. Linux for a server or headless OS is amazing. Best performance out their. But desktop OS? No need. Just pirate Windows 7, it ain't that hard.

:|

I tried using Linux (various distributions) back in the day, but my headset at the time wasn't compatible (or I just couldn't configure shit correctly). Also, don't expect to get help from Crothers when you ask him something about Linux.

Honestly, anyone who uses Linux for a desktop OS is just a fucking hipster. Linux for a server or headless OS is amazing. Best performance out their. But desktop OS? No need. Just pirate Windows 7, it ain't that hard.

Or all they do is program all the time :/.

Personally, I've got my W7 desktop (God, W8 is such horseshit), and most recently, my Ubuntu laptop for school. It's so nice to have for school, really.

linux will take over eventually(next 3 years i would say). its a better platform overall. the only thing holding it back is office programs like word. there is open office. but i guess it is missing a lot of features. and for gaming its starting to happen.

http://steamcommunity.com/linux

http://store.steampowered.com/browse/linux/

also, just so that people know. linux is just a kernel. it is the layer that talks to your hardware. and then there is the desktop environment. which is the GUI. the big ones are gnome and kde. and the distro sits between the kernel and the desktop environment.

so lets take ubuntu for example. ubuntu developers write code that sits on and works with the kernel. and then the desktop environment is laid on top of the distro.

Linux also has problems with video drivers from AMD/Nvidia (especially Nvidia), and this alone is a major problem. Also Linux would have to hold a bigger market in the desktop area in order for game makers to start making games for Linux. I mean honestly, we have a hard enough time to get them to make decent PC ports.

I like to use Linux on some older PC's to make them at least usable, but it pretty much stops there. It's pretty decent if you're just doing basic computing such as internet/email and more advanced things such as firewalls and other networking.