Sign in to follow this  
ChosenOne2000

Army Questions

Speaking of this, I just got this in the mail like 30 minutes ago.

aTnJR.jpg

Good luck on your interview. I received a 4 yr ROTC scholarship. Make sure you highlight any sport or club where you were a captain or leader. The academics speak for themselves. Anything that shows you can multitask is a plus.

Thanks! I'm a little nervous for the interview. I just don't want to say the wrong things or be too honest or w.e.

Your thoughts on 19d, 13f, 68w, 19k? Because those are the M.O.S. that I'm currently trying to obtain right now(Was 1% over BMI on physical, everything else was cleared positive, and then waiting for tier evaluation after physical is 100% complete) , and even with years worth of extensive research into most of the fields, I still strive for that extra upfront information.

Edited by Marine

Your thoughts on 19d, 13f, 68w, 19k? Because those are the M.O.S. that I'm currently trying to obtain right now(Was 1% over BMI on physical, everything else was cleared positive, and then waiting for tier evaluation after physical is 100% complete) , and even with years worth of extensive research into most of the fields, I still strive for that extra upfront information.

68W is the basic combat medic. It has the best civilian conversion of all the MOS's. Colleges give you credit for Army training. The 68W gives you up to 40ish credits if you do all the training a 68W can. As a 68W you earn your EMT-B cert right after basic training. Harder to get promoted though. 19D, 13F, and 19K: faster promotions, out in the field all the time, and you stay deployed 24/7.

68W is the basic combat medic. It has the best civilian conversion of all the MOS's. Colleges give you credit for Army training. The 68W gives you up to 40ish credits if you do all the training a 68W can. As a 68W you earn your EMT-B cert right after basic training. Harder to get promoted though. 19D, 13F, and 19K: faster promotions, out in the field all the time, and you stay deployed 24/7.

I'd think 68w would be great, except...I've heard that it's a 50/50 chance of being in the field or hospital, and I'd honestly rather be in the field as one, otherwise I'd just go reserves and get a degree then go back in.

Are you serving on a contractual basis? If so, what is the length of said contract?

All military contracts equal 8 years. You can mix and match the ratio of active time to reserve time. My contract was for 4 years active and 4 years reserves. The military will sometimes offer incentives for extra time (cash bonuses, civilain education, duty station of choice, cool Army schools/ training, etc). I dont remember Foh's contract. I think it was 6 active and 2 reserves.

Were you a eagle scout?

I heard if you are a eagle scout. that You get the first rank immediately. The first rank takes 6 months while in the army without eagle. And that those 6 months add on to every rank you try to get afterwards.

On the enlisted side, a person can enter the military at the very bottom of the rank structure all the way through the 4th rank.

- Entry Critera

E-1: Nothing

E-2: Eagle Scout/ Some High School ROTC

E-3: 3+ Years of High School ROTC

E-4: Masters Degree or College ROTC dropout after the 2nd semester of their Junior year.

That 6 month eagle scout thing isnt true

Hey, not to barge in here, but For E-1 through E-4 the requirements are slightly different.

I know that with my Associates I would have come in as just an E-3, however, with a Bachelors you can obtain an E-4. Some say you can go to OCS with just as Associates, others say Bachelors, I honestly don't know which but will probably drop an Officer packet some time this year.

Are you serving on a contractual basis? If so, what is the length of said contract?

All military contracts equal 8 years. You can mix and match the ratio of active time to reserve time. My contract was for 4 years active and 4 years reserves. The military will sometimes offer incentives for extra time (cash bonuses, civilain education, duty station of choice, cool Army schools/ training, etc). I dont remember Foh's contract. I think it was 6 active and 2 reserves.

Were you a eagle scout?

I heard if you are a eagle scout. that You get the first rank immediately. The first rank takes 6 months while in the army without eagle. And that those 6 months add on to every rank you try to get afterwards.

On the enlisted side, a person can enter the military at the very bottom of the rank structure all the way through the 4th rank.

- Entry Critera

E-1: Nothing

E-2: Eagle Scout/ Some High School ROTC

E-3: 3+ Years of High School ROTC

E-4: Masters Degree or College ROTC dropout after the 2nd semester of their Junior year.

That 6 month eagle scout thing isnt true

Hey, not to barge in here, but For E-1 through E-4 the requirements are slightly different.

I know that with my Associates I would have come in as just an E-3, however, with a Bachelors you can obtain an E-4. Some say you can go to OCS with just as Associates, others say Bachelors, I honestly don't know which but will probably drop an Officer packet some time this year.

You need a 4 year degree to go to OCS. You cant go w/ your Associates. Your associates degree qualifies you for certain warrant officer jobs, but not OCS.

Speaking of this, I just got this in the mail like 30 minutes ago.

aTnJR.jpg

Good luck on your interview. I received a 4 yr ROTC scholarship. Make sure you highlight any sport or club where you were a captain or leader. The academics speak for themselves. Anything that shows you can multitask is a plus.

Thanks! I'm a little nervous for the interview. I just don't want to say the wrong things or be too honest or w.e.

You can't be too honest. Be prepared to do a lot of paperwork and make sure you are genuine at the interview. It's mostly a numbers game but there still is the extra mile that an AFROTC Cadre can go to put you in a better position for a scholarship.

If you see any cadets around before or after the interview ask them a few questions about their det.

I don't know if it fits here but just wondering anyone from West Point? Me and my friend both intend to apply for a military scholarship in our country and hopefully to enter USMA as international students.

I don't know if it fits here but just wondering anyone from West Point? Me and my friend both intend to apply for a military scholarship in our country and hopefully to enter USMA as international students.

You would need a U.S congressman or woman to endorse your appt. I would find this highly problematic for a foreign national in the post 9/11 world.

A friend of mine(Marines) has been on a few tours and he signed up again recently for deployment. As far as I know, he's been almost always stationed at the same base in Tokyo when not in the middle east, i'm wondering if theres necessarily a choice in where your deployed or if it's just decided by superiors.

You would need a U.S congressman or woman to endorse your appt. I would find this highly problematic for a foreign national in the post 9/11 world.

Well I guess it wouldn't hurt to try

I went to the US Defence Attache in my country and they said that they will endorse me as long as I get the approval and endorsement from one of the members in my country's government. The minister incharge of my district is the Minister for Defence so maybe it will give me an edge? I don't know but I'm considering MIT though but my teachers recommend I aim for an Ivy League

Who in their right mind would join the army?

Anyone who wants free education, free healthcare, instant salary, unique job experiences, etc...

So, people who lack any other career path.

Starting in JAG out of college is a pretty good deal for lawyers. Besides, who doesn't want to eat for free on Veteran's day?

Guest Fohacidal

Yeah, 6 on 2 off as chosen said. Im currently a 35p (Cryptologic Linguist/Analyst).

If I dont put in my flight packet again sometime within this contract I will enlist again and do so during my second contract. More than likely Ill apply for warrant before my 6 is up.

Also I want to back what chosen said for marine, of all the MOSs you listed, 68w is your best bet for on the job experience and civilian benefits.

I went to the US Defence Attache in my country and they said that they will endorse me as long as I get the approval and endorsement from one of the members in my country's government. The minister incharge of my district is the Minister for Defence so maybe it will give me an edge? I don't know but I'm considering MIT though but my teachers recommend I aim for an Ivy League

Congressional appt = senator, rep, ect...

Who knows, they can always make exceptions.

Who in their right mind would join the army?

Anyone who wants free education, free healthcare, instant salary, unique job experiences, etc...

So, people who lack any other career path.

Starting in JAG out of college is a pretty good deal for lawyers. Besides, who doesn't want to eat for free on Veteran's day?

The Army has a professional doctorate program where you apply for programs while serving as a regular officer (MD, PsyD, JD, etc). If you dont get picked up for a direct commission, this could be your fall back plan.

Also I want to back what chosen said for marine, of all the MOSs you listed, 68w is your best bet for on the job experience and civilian benefits.

I heard for 68w that the EMT certification isn't that useful when getting out, as it doesn't take long at all to get it on the civilian side, which is why I figured it would be better to choose an M.O.S. that I think I'd enjoy when not doing detail. My AFQT percentile was 70, with Army: GT 113 CL 110 CO 104 EL 104 FA 106 GM 101 MM 097 OF 103 SC 106 ST 108 so it's hard trying to think of what to get with how many options I have available. I originally also would have enjoyed 15t and 15u, but due to the MM score being the lowest one, it ended up not qualifying for those MOS. I think it's just the getting stuck in a hospital that makes me sway from 68W(Unless I got airborne or an incentive, then I'd pick it in a heartbeat)

MIT is an Ivy League.

I think it's just the getting stuck in a hospital that makes me sway from 68W(Unless I got airborne or an incentive, then I'd pick it in a heartbeat)

My first assignment as a basic medical officer was ground MEDEVAC for the 101st ABN DIV which included East Baghdad and Sadr City. My experience surpassed my formal medical experience at the time (EMT-B). The military in general gives you experience you wouldn't normally receive in the civilian sector at your current education level. I'm partial to medical, but how many EMT-Bs get to ride around in a chopper or a tank all-day?

MIT is an Ivy League.

Actually it isn't

Dartmouth

Columbia

UOP

Yale

Brown

Cornell

Harvard

Princeton

are the 8 colleges which are considered Ivy League

But I have quite a number of my peers applying into Oxbridge so I'm quite undecided at the moment

I heard for 68w that the EMT certification isn't that useful when getting out, as it doesn't take long at all to get it on the civilian side, which is why I figured it would be better to choose an M.O.S. that I think I'd enjoy when not doing detail. My AFQT percentile was 70, with Army: GT 113 CL 110 CO 104 EL 104 FA 106 GM 101 MM 097 OF 103 SC 106 ST 108 so it's hard trying to think of what to get with how many options I have available. I originally also would have enjoyed 15t and 15u, but due to the MM score being the lowest one, it ended up not qualifying for those MOS. I think it's just the getting stuck in a hospital that makes me sway from 68W(Unless I got airborne or an incentive, then I'd pick it in a heartbeat)

If you end up choosing 13F you will be going to Fort Sill most likely because that is the 13 Series home. I knew quite a few 13F and they were ripped and could run for miles.... Side note 13F you will end up being glorified Infantry and carrying a 40lb radio to relay coordinates to 13D.

I think it's just the getting stuck in a hospital that makes me sway from 68W(Unless I got airborne or an incentive, then I'd pick it in a heartbeat)

My first assignment as a basic medical officer was ground MEDEVAC for the 101st ABN DIV which included East Baghdad and Sadr City. My experience surpassed my formal medical experience at the time (EMT- B). The military in general gives you experience you wouldn't normally receive in the civilian sector at your current education level. I'm partial to medical, but how many EMT-Bs get to ride around in a chopper or a tank all-day?

That's exactly what I'd want as a 68w, but I imagine your experience as an officer in the medical field also helps greatly as to how much you enjoy it, correct?

That's why I'm also so swayed towards 13f, 19d, and 19k. Because who in the civilian sector gets to do those type of jobs? It's such a...tough choice...Granted, I'm still awaiting for another 7 days until I'm eligible to try the tape test again for MEPS, so...I still got plenty of time.

Edited by Marine

Guest Fohacidal

out of curiosity how tall are you, how much do you weigh and how fast can you run a 2 mile?

out of curiosity how tall are you, how much do you weigh and how fast can you run a 2 mile?

I don't know my 2 mile, but my 1 mile is about an 8 minute mile. I'm 6' 1/2 -236lbs. 16 1/2 neck and at M.E.P.S. 40 inch waist, and at recruiter's 39 inch waist. I was 1% over the tape test.

Guest Fohacidal

I don't know my 2 mile, but my 1 mile is about an 8 minute mile. I'm 6' 1/2 -236lbs. 16 1/2 neck and at M.E.P.S. 40 inch waist, and at recruiter's 39 inch waist. I was 1% over the tape test.

6'6" and 230? Damn you are a big guy man. How old are you?