Sign in to follow this  
Seabagz

Convert .dem files?

Play it through whatever game you recorded it with. Use fraps to record it

I'm asking this question because it doesn't work for CSGO, and I was wondering if I could open it with some other program.

Dem files can't be converted to any format directly as it isn't a video format, rather holds positional data for objects and such, hence why you need the game and map in order to view them. Correct me if I'm wrong

You actually can but the time it takes depends on how fast your computer is. So this is how to convert a .dem file to .avi without compression. You can test with other codecs that you may have installed.

Steps:

-Open CS:GO

-Make sure you have console enabled. (I think if you are able to record a demo you already have this enabled)

-Type "demoui" into console. (Use "playdemo <nameofdemo>" if you want to do the whole demo instead of parts)

-Click "Load" and find the demo you want to use for the recording.

-Find what spot you would like to start recording from in the video.

-Pause and now type "startmovie <movienameyouwant> avi" with the spaces as shown.

-Now your game is going to freeze depending whether or not you are in fullscreen or windowed.

-If you are in windowed a small text box should appear right away with codec options.

-If you are in fullscreen you are going to have to alt tab and then click on CS:GO again and then the box should show up. (This is how I found the box, could be different for you)

-If you have no other codecs use full frames, AKA its gonna be a big file.

-Now that you have found the compress codec you want to use press "OK".

-Now your ready to start recording.

-Resume your demo and play until you want it to stop. (And yes in most cases its going to look really laggy and it is going to take a while.)

-Once you are done pause and open up console again and type "endmovie" then "stopdemo".

-The .AVI file should be in your C:/Programs(x86)/Steam/Steamapps/Common/Counter-Strike:Global Offensive folder.

-The video, depending once again on your read speed, probably is going to look laggy. No worries though just load it into a editor and compress. (Windows movie maker is pretty chill)

-Done. GG

Edited by Tristan.

haha.. convert dem files!! yeah boiiii

sorry i couldn't help it.

Ahaha. That's the exact same sort of thing I thought of every time I saw this thread. Actually came in here to say it.

TBH, that's what I thought after I looked at the topic.

Nice to know that tristan, although technically thats not converting, rather using an inbuild capture tool to record the demo when you play it.

Converting = infile -> decode -> recode -> outfile -> profit.

No need to get try hard pants on and get all specific. The guy was honestly looking to turn a demo into a movie, no matter if converting or recording, from what I read.

Edited by Tristan.