Sign in to follow this  
Goldentongue

University of Alabama Effectively Terminates all Greek Pledge-ships After Allegations of Hazing

Honestly though, I'm pretty sure the Greek system at your schools is much different than than the one at mine, which is what I referring to with that comment.

That's what I figured, I just didn't expect you to respond like that. Greek systems are different ALL over. For example, I would NEVER want to be in a fraternity in a SEC school. When you hear horror stories of awful hazing, a lot of it comes from there. But for the most part, most greek systems are pretty tame. And, depending on what house you join, you can have an amazing time.

Asian fraternity hazing in california #1.

But yeah, to each their own. The greek scene is definitely different from university to university. My greek experience has been nothing but a learning experience to me and I regret nothing. I've heard my own accord of crazy hazing stories from universities at the South, and I don't know whether they are true or not, probably are and equally bad as how asian fraternities haze here.

GT, what led to this announcement being made? Like what rumors did you hear or how bad did you see it get?

As I'm not in the Greek system, and don't associate with guys in fraternities, I don't know many details of the more severe hazing. There was a case a few years ago of a pledge receiving head injuries after being thrown from a moving pickup truck while very drunk. I think most of it is just receiving kicks and punches. The pledges all have to wear very unattractive polos tucked into poorly fitting jeans with sneakers every day, have to carry around certain items in their pockets at all times (lighters, cigarettes, quarters, an upperclassman frat bro's favorite gum, etc.) and have to be on call to DD until 2am every night. You see some of the milder stuff sometimes around campus, such as a pledge walking around with speakers in his backpack playing Nickelback, or them having to run around at night in very skimpy costumes or humping lamp posts in the street while dressed in drag.

Pretty dumb shit, but I'm sure there's much worse stuff I don't know about.

Honestly though, I'm pretty sure the Greek system at your schools is much different than than the one at mine, which is what I referring to with that comment.

That's what I figured, I just didn't expect you to respond like that. Greek systems are different ALL over. For example, I would NEVER want to be in a fraternity in a SEC school. When you hear horror stories of awful hazing, a lot of it comes from there. But for the most part, most greek systems are pretty tame. And, depending on what house you join, you can have an amazing time.

Asian fraternity hazing in california #1.

But yeah, to each their own. The greek scene is definitely different from university to university. My greek experience has been nothing but a learning experience to me and I regret nothing. I've heard my own accord of crazy hazing stories from universities at the South, and I don't know whether they are true or not, probably are and equally bad as how asian fraternities haze here.

GT, what led to this announcement being made? Like what rumors did you hear or how bad did you see it get?

As I'm not in the Greek system, and don't associate with guys in fraternities, I don't know many details of the more severe hazing. There was a case a few years ago of a pledge receiving head injuries after being thrown from a moving pickup truck while very drunk. I think most of it is just receiving kicks and punches. The pledges all have to wear very unattractive polos tucked into poorly fitting jeans with sneakers every day, have to carry around certain items in their pockets at all times (lighters, cigarettes, quarters, an upperclassman frat bro's favorite gum, etc.) and have to be on call to DD until 2am every night. You see some of the milder stuff sometimes around campus, such as a pledge walking around with speakers in his backpack playing Nickelback, or them having to run around at night in very skimpy costumes or humping lamp posts in the street while dressed in drag.

Pretty dumb shit, but I'm sure there's much worse stuff I don't know about.

The dumbest shit by far is after the venue party for one of the Asian fraternities here for all the new pledges, they force them to run across a major high way hammered. That tradition ended a couple years ago after a fatal incident with one of the pledges.

You think people would have better judgment but it always when their shit face drunk.

Another ritual is that they make a class of 25 pledges play football all at once against the whole chapter (anywhere from 50 to 125 people). People end up getting their shit smacked in.

Asian sororities do things such as they'll make their own pledges line up and each active will walk down the line and talk shit and tell each pledge one thing that's wrong about their body and personality.

That's just some of the dumb shit on top of a pile of other crap they make pledges do.

Another ritual is that they make a class of 25 pledges play football all at once against the whole chapter (anywhere from 50 to 125 people). People end up getting their shit smacked in.

Asian sororities do things such as they'll make their own pledges line up and each active will walk down the line and talk shit and tell each pledge one thing that's wrong about their body and personality.

That sounds like the worse hazing experience possible. It's literally 1v100 for the guy with the ball..

ahaha, owned.

It also looks great on a resume, provides connections later in life and pretty much gives you tons of volunteering opportunities, being devils advocate.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahhaha.

Depending on how you live your college fraternity experience and what fraternity you are in, it can have a significant positive impact on your life. Of course, some people just don't have the desire to be in a fraternity, and that's fine.

ahaha, owned.

It also looks great on a resume, provides connections later in life and pretty much gives you tons of volunteering opportunities, being devils advocate.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahhaha.

Depending on how you live your college fraternity experience and what fraternity you are in, it can have a significant positive impact on your life. Of course, some people just don't have the desire to be in a fraternity, and that's fine.

@Dojima; http://www.whygogreek.com/stats.html

@Klark; what fraternity are you in?

Edited by Oreo

Hazing rituals were a turn off for me ever wanting to join anything. Even in high school it was a barrier for entry.

People can be active in their communities outside of academic affiliated organizations. It's just shame a university has to ban "rituals" in order to get things straight ... why can't people just say ... "I'm interested ... can I help?"

I never understood that type of hazing.

Hell, my hockey team at least made the hazing fun for the rookies. It wasn't just stupid bullshit to fuck over the guys.

Edited by Christmas