Sign in to follow this  
MOFLSTOMP

2500k Won't boot past 4.2GHz

Okay, so I'm attempting to overclock my i5-2500k. Stable at 4.2, 1.275 vcore, auto settings for everything else. I just can't get it to fully boot into windows once I put it past the 4.2 mark, even though there's plenty of room to OC. My motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 which has multiple tales of hitting 4.7-4.8GHz without a problem, so I just don't know what's holding me back. Any ideas?

Only thing I could think of would be upping the voltage.

I am far from a god at OC'ing though, could only get my i7-975 to 4.1Ghz stable. Though tbh didn't try very hard...

Let us know how you make out!

you need to up the core voltage and make sure you're not already overheating with the 4.2 ghz clock. Try using coretemp to check your cpu temps when booted in windows.

I'm idling at like 35C with the Xigmatek Dark Knight II Nighthawk Edition (single 120mm in pull config) and maybe topping out in the 50s under unrealistic load

I have a i7 920, I've OC'd mine to 4.2 GHz, wasn't 100% stable even with a crazy high voltage. Upping voltage, make sure you're memory speed isn't too fast for its own specs along with with the mother board.

Full Specs list for what it's worth (besides video card, which is irrelevant)

MB: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

RAM: 4x4GB Corsair VENGEANCE (Black DDR3-1600)

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K

PSU: Rosewill LIGHTNING Series 1000W

HSF: Xigmatek Dark Knight II Nighthawk Ed.

I think it might have something to do with the memory as well, since that was the limiting factor when I had my Phenom II X4 955. Should I try downclocking it to 1333 and see if I can get the system to full boot into W7 instead of hanging at the login screen?

I did the same thing you're doing now with an e8400 a long time ago. The only thing I suceeded in doing was de-stabilizing the CPU through too much voltage and reducing it's overall lifespan :S

^ Warning

I've never put it into the unsafe voltage range of 1.4+. Max I've given it was like 1.375 when I tried to really push it before. I had it stable 3.7GHz at like 1.15V for a while, but I also wanted to crack the 4.5GHz barrier with this chip

Edited by Roflstomp.mp3

Well if you just having trouble getting it to post, the is either not enough juice or just a straight up bad setting. I don't know how the BIOS works on 2500k chips, what is the max multiplier can you do?