Sign in to follow this  
Illogical

Staff survey

Meh. It seems pretty fucking apparent that when a staff member fucks up, other staff members address the issue, just not in a public manner. And it's a pretty good policy. How many times has someone "stepped down", only for it to be leaked later that they were removed from their position but allowed to retain some dignity? Staff doesn't need to air out their dirty laundry to the rest of us shmucks.

As Blob said, staff isn't a single entity. Pay closer attention and it's not that hard to see that problems like this are taken care of.

A few members and I have discussed the idea of having a staff survey right now. It seems like a good idea due to the fact staff isn't really up for listening to us or our desires right now. Staff, even if this shit storm is stupid your job is to listen to the majority of the clan and what we would like to do as a clan, not cover your own asses and close every thread where we argue how we don't like how things are being handled. staff survey, simple request. We want to be listened to. This is a clan, not an oligarchy.

It doesn't help that 80% of the threads that you make only serve the purpose of conjuring the shitstorm that you had mentioned before. I doubt whoever closed the thread wouldn't mind if it was actually a civil discussion rather than a provocative outcry to rally against 'the oligarchy.'

Lol. Are you insinuating that clans are automatically democracies? Since when?

Without having read the entirety of this thread I am going to expand on this post:

When threads turn from having a discussion to becoming flaming shitstorms where nothing productive is being said and members or staff are targeted and lynched, I am going to close them.

Without having read the entirety of this thread I am going to expand on this post:

When threads turn from having a discussion to becoming flaming shitstorms where nothing productive is being said and members or staff are targeted and lynched, I am going to close them.

And now, to contrast my other view but not to invalidate it:

So the fuck what? You're staff. If you can't handle scrutiny, even crass scrutiny, don't be in a position of power. A few bad mouthers don't eradicate the many valid arguments that have been made. And even if that devolves, at the very least it become entertaining and condenses all the ranting and ravings people want to get out of their system into a single thread.

What do you think happens when a thread closes? Clearly, as you've seen but not been bright enough to see the connection to, another one is just made to take its place.

"Lynched" is a laughably idiotic word to use when you have the ability to silence or ban one of us at any time.

And now, to contrast my other view but not to invalidate it:

So the fuck what? You're staff. If you can't handle scrutiny, even crass scrutiny, don't be in a position of power. A few bad mouthers don't eradicate the many valid arguments that have been made. And even if that devolves, at the very least it become entertaining and condenses all the ranting and ravings people want to get out of their system into a single thread.

What do you think happens when a thread closes? Clearly, as you've seen but not been bright enough to see the connection to, another one is just made to take its place.

"Lynched" is a laughably idiotic word to use when you have the ability to silence or ban one of us at any time.

I would've thought it would be painfully obvious to you that 100% of us don't actually hold any feelings, whole or otherwise, to any of this. We're just doing or job, and given that it's the internet, something of this nature is what all of us deal with on a regular basis. If we went around making everything personal, then we shouldn't be in a staff position. Good thing we don't, right?

This is true, but it's also apparent that people don't get that a closed thread means the discussion should cease in public. We have private messaging for a reason.

True, but it seems like people enjoy trying to make us look like a 'regime'. I'm sure I don't speak for myself when we want other people to be heard, although we won't hesitate to stop a thread if it goes too far. True, we could let it go and ignore it, but why should we?

Edited by Rune

For fuck's sake this is a god damned internet forum not a bag of Starbursts.

And your point would entail what exactly?

Because it's the internet and nothing should matter to anyone, that means we can post whatever we want.

But then I would be assuming, and that's your queue to get agitated and pretend to chastise me.

Do you ever have anything nice to say? - Forget I asked, I already know the answer and the potential mockery that you think would make you opinion actually matter.

Edited by Rune

Goldentongue, when I closed that thread about Mitch the vast majority of posts in it were breaking our rules about trolling and flaming. I did not hand out a single infraction for any of it. The only person that was punished by me in any way was Monkeh, and not just for the post he made. I don't like being a rule nazi and I don't get 'joy' out of banning people or infracting them. From what I've seen lately we've been somewhat lax when it comes to infracting posts for trolling or flaming outside the complaint department and R&R. People are getting comfortable and the line that was present a year ago plus has faded somewhat.

Goldentongue, when I closed that thread about Mitch the vast majority of posts in it were breaking our rules about trolling and flaming. I did not hand out a single infraction for any of it. The only person that was punished by me in any way was Monkeh, and not just for the post he made. I don't like being a rule nazi and I don't get 'joy' out of banning people or infracting them. From what I've seen lately we've been somewhat lax when it comes to infracting posts for trolling or flaming outside the complaint department and R&R. People are getting comfortable and the line that was present a year ago plus has faded somewhat.

Good points. I think the issue just arises when there are staff members involved who have clear issues with favoritism. Those same accusations will inevitably spread to other staff members who get involved in a situation. You know I don't see as strong a necessity for strict rules as you might, but I agree some sort of standard must be kept.

I have no clue what Rune said, as I'm not going to bother trying to read something that's so obnoxiously unpleasant to look at, but in his typical fashion I doubt it was anything very insightful or relevant.

Good points. I think the issue just arises when there are staff members involved who have clear issues with favoritism. Those same accusations will inevitably spread to other staff members who get involved in a situation. You know I don't see as strong a necessity for strict rules as you might, but I agree some sort of standard must be kept.

I have no clue what Rune said, as I'm not going to bother trying to read something that's so obnoxiously unpleasant to look at, but in his typical fashion I doubt it was anything very insightful or relevant.

I thank you for only proving my point~.

I thank you for only proving my point~.

Please shut the fuck up. The adults are talking and we're trying our best to ignore you.

There you go making impersonal ithings so elegantly persbeenonal. It's cute. :>

If you were such an adult, per say,edit why are you getting so overlyI've zealous acalledbout me poutosting simple things?

Weren't you just going othingsn about how thafteris isn't a baong of starbursthem.ts?

Edited by Rune

You said something that I want to point out and validate as well:

at the very least it become entertaining and condenses all the ranting and ravings people want to get out of their system into a single thread.

This is completely true and we all do it. We log into the forums, play games, do stuff other that what we do in our daily lives because it's an escape and a release. For staff, its "we come home from our jobs to work another job". That other job being sG. We dedicate what time and energy we have left in ourselves to keeping this community going. Mitch is one of the hardest working individuals I have ever met. He works his ass off at school, at work, and in sG. I know myself that stress can build up quite easily and judgement can become impaired by that stress. People can snap in situations easier, we all do it.

queue

*cue

per say

*per se

overly zealous

*overzealous

The way you switch to using big words when you're talking to me would be endearing if you weren't so terrible at it.

at the very least it become entertaining and condenses all the ranting and ravings people want to get out of their system into a single thread.

This is completely true and we all do it. We log into the forums, play games, do stuff other that what we do in our daily lives because it's an escape and a release. For staff, its "we come home from our jobs to work another job". That other job being sG. We dedicate what time and energy we have left in ourselves to keeping this community going. Mitch is one of the hardest working individuals I have ever met. He works his ass off at school, at work, and in sG. I know myself that stress can build up quite easily and judgement can become impaired by that stress. People can snap in situations easier, we all do it.

Ok. But Mitch doesn't take out his stress by making inflammatory posts or playing video games. Shooting characters isn't enough for him. He fucks around in the servers, and carries it over into a power trip by abusing other members. If he can't handle the stress in his life (much of which he blatantly brings on himself), then he shouldn't have power.

Simple as that.

Edited by Goldentongue

But Goldentongue, that's all you really do, you point out my mistakes in the thought that it'll actually count for anything. In actuality, you've accomplished nothing. A good try, though, I must applaud your audacity in the matter. A reversion from inevitable rage to quiet discomfort whilst you attempt to revert the spotlight to light inconsistencies on my part. Bravo. :>

Edit: Although you failed to stay consistent yourself. You started to post all of my pink text, then you removed it later on. That's quite a big mistake, y'know.

Edited by Rune

But Goldentongue, that's all you really do, you point out my mistakes in the thought that it'll actually count for anything. In actuality, you've accomplished nothing. A good try, though, I must applaud your audacity in the matter. A reversion from inevitable rage to quiet discomfort whilst you attempt to revert the spotlight to light inconsistencies on my part. Bravo. :>

Edit: Although you failed to stay consistent yourself. You started to post all of my pink text, then you removed it later on. That's quite a big mistake, y'know.

Shutup

Shutup

ok

queue

*cue

per say

*per se

overly zealous

*overzealous

The way you switch to using big words when you're talking to me would be endearing if you weren't so terrible at it.

Ok. But Mitch doesn't take out his stress by making inflammatory posts or playing video games. Shooting characters isn't enough for him. He fucks around in the servers, and carries it over into a power trip by abusing other members. If he can't handle the stress in his life (much of which he blatantly brings on himself), then he shouldn't have power.

Simple as that.

Goldentongue, the only thing I can promise to you is that I will talk with Mitch. I will see if I can sort this out.

Goldentongue, the only thing I can promise to you is that I will talk with Mitch. I will see if I can sort this out.

I think it's gotten to the point where Mitch shouldn't have any say in the issue, but that's just my two cents.

Simple as that.

I'd like you to see me on an even level here. Excuse my bad grammar or what not, I'm tired as fuck and just want to give you the respect of having a reply on my part.44

I don't make inflammatory posts because, that's just not who I am. I can't even play video games on our Teamspeak 3 server normally because everytime I'm on there I get bugged by members to do shit with sG. Then what happens? I feel guilty for ignoring/not acknowledging them and end up helping them anyways. I've stopped popping up on TS3 for the past few months for that fact alone, mainly because people ask me to do so many things that -- well I don't even get the time to enjoy video games, and me being who I am I just feel so inclined and obligated to help them.

GT, you should know as well that everyone takes stress out in different ways. Whether or not it's the right thing for someone to do to relieve themselves of stress, that's for each individual to decide on their own accord. As of recently, I haven't had the time to be on our servers at all this summer due to real life obligations. The only fucking around I do on servers is to certain friends I play with, e.g. slapping them for 1000 damage or what not. I fuck around with people who I know well, hardly anyone else. The abuse I've done is just as much as any other person has done. The only reason why I get singled out for it most of the time is because most of you know me. In all reality, I have done the same shit everyone else does on our servers. WCS I'll give cash from time to time, TTT I'll do proptown or just spawn striders when we're all bored of the game mode and in DarkRP I do the same shit that all our SOs do. The abuse I do is no different from the shit other admins do on our servers, it just gets pointed out more because, well I'm Mitch.

On a final note, I've explicitly kept my real life and sG separate as possible. There aren't many people there who know the actual details and realities of my life and I intend to keep it that way. You aren't the person to say that I bring this stress onto myself in real life when you don't even have a single clue of what's going on. I'd really like for you to stray out of that topic out of respect for me, because the last thing I want to do is make personal attacks in regards to someone else's real life on the forums. The only thing that matters is I do what I think is right in sG, give it my best effort and that's what matters. I've realized that some of the things I've done recently haven't been so great, but what can I say? The only thing I can do is apologize, acknowledge my mistakes and pick it up from there.

Even when you all continued to post the things you did on that thread I was still doing my part and responsibility to this community. I used to do things for the general good of the community and did what I thought would benefit the community the most. After all these years, these downfalls, mistakes, aggravations and conflicts - I'm still trying to do what I think is best in the community. Maybe it's time for me to take a step back and be more like Junzou and Jason. It's kind of obvious that the community that us three were running when we were respectively advisors is much different then it is now. Maybe I should be more like them, just do things behind the scenes and step in when it's needed and let someone else take the face of the community (e.g. blob). I don't know at this moment, but I'm pretty exhausted and just rambling at this point.

There aren't many people in this community who are willing to or even capable of doing things some of the member's on staff do. That's the truth. Many of our advisors (and ex-staff) were active members of the community before they joined staff. There's an underlying reason as to why their activity levels drop after joining staff and even after leaving staff. As Marvin said, although it shouldn't be this way, being staff of this community (and in many respects, other communities of this magnitude or greater, from my experience) can wear you out and bring you down. At the end of the day sometimes it's saddening when you put your best foot in, try your best and do what you can and you receive no thanks or gratitude for what you do - especially when you make a mistake and the community breaks out angrily at what you've unintentionally done. This sums up a lot of the reasons why people have left staff, it may or may not apply to current staff members as well - I don't know.

I'm just tired and rambling, so I'll shut up until someone wants me to reply to their post.

Sign in to follow this