Sign in to follow this  
York

sG's opinion on MIS Major and what kind of jobs you can get with it?

So college is approaching and I know I have awhile to decide what I want to do, but I just feel kind of limited.

I'm currently an MIS Major as I like how it is half tech and half business. I really wanted to do Computer Science/Computer Engineering but my math scores on my SAT weren't good enough to get into my school's engineering school. My cliche and typical goal is to work at Blizzard/Riot Games/Arena Net, but it's what I really want to do with my life. With an MIS major I know I can apply to be a Business Analyst, but when I read descriptions I'm a little confused as to what they actually do. Can I hear the sG's opinion on an MIS major? Also could anyone tell me what kind of jobs I can expect?

http://en.wikipedia....rmation_systems

http://en.wikipedia....usiness_analyst

http://en.wikipedia..../Business_model

Wikipedia is a totally credible source.

It sounds like a bullshit major to me - dumbed down version of Industrial Engineering. Also, It's unlikely you'll be doing anything you would want to do for those companies while working for them.

Edited by Mimic

Don't forget the fact that you can transfer to your choice of school, by getting a ~2.0 at a tech school. (even possibly in 1 semester) If you can't find a bypass into getting to the school of your preference, make sure the credits of your "secondary" school would be accepted to that of your preferred school. I've had a few buddies of mine do that. It's not a long shot, but if you already know what you want to do/where you want to go; it's not a bad alternative.

Edited by RKeaton

Got the same problem man.

Studied electromechanics in highschool, but I don't feel like studying the same thing in college.

College in general is useless.

That piece of paper gives you such a good advantage in the job industry however. People are much, much more likely to hire someone who just graduated out of college then someone who was just a high school grad or a HS Grad with some work experience. This doesn't apply to all fields, there are definitely cases where this is the exception, but in general - a lot of well paying jobs nowadays require a BS/BA degree regardless of experience.

back to the opinions on my major lol

You might want to ask someone who has experience with that specific major.

Do they not have people at your school who specialize in giving you information on what your major is and what it can do?

Do they not have people at your school who specialize in giving you information on what your major is and what it can do?

I'm an incoming freshman so I won't be able to talk to a counselor until I actually get there in late August. I'm just trying to get ahead of the game lol

I'm an incoming freshman so I won't be able to talk to a counselor until I actually get there in late August. I'm just trying to get ahead of the game lol

I can almost guarantee that you can email someone from that school to get information, even if you haven't sat in a class yet.

College in general is useless.

Yeah, it's not like our society needs any type of profession that requires a college degree to perform.

Well, college English classes certainly wouldn't be useless for you.

If I had a dime for every time people split hairs over that freaking term...