Sign in to follow this  
Shotgunsnipa

Parents are buying me a computer, need some help figuring things out...

First, sadly, my parents will not let me buy parts and put them together (for a few reasons not worth listing)

Second, thanks anyone who takes their time to help me with this

Third, I'm getting a windows PC (Sorry, I'm not familiar with linux, and mac is... well just plain terrible.

Fourth, I'm going to stop counting...

I'm looking for something that is around or less than $1000, and is within the range of upgrading in the future (i.e. the power supply is 700 watts, so a graphics card doesn't need to be lower powered in the future; my current computer has 400w, and it has been annoying to up the graphics card as my father is uncomfortable changing too much even though it is well within his ability).

I'm looking for something that can run (For point of reference really) a game like SC2 or Diablo 3 on the higher end settings (not including when the screen is full of hundreds of units like in mass battles in SC2).

If anyone could point me in the right direction, as well as asking about the dozens of things I have left out (I am pretty unaware when it comes to hardware, but I'd like to think I'm skilled with software), I'd appreciate it...

You should generally see what makes a good computer (obviously the hardware in it) but like what would be a good specification and see if there any to that standard so you'd have to have at least 4 GB RAM, with at least 500-600 GB Hard Drive space or more if you can, included a decent Graphics Card (Not one that comes with the computer by the way so something like nVidia etc or even a motherboard) but as the quote says DO NOT buy Acer, Gateway etc. They are awful. Just take a look at computers like Packard Bell, Dell, Alienware etc. they are good-high quality brands with decent computers, I suggest you take a look. I wouldn't disagree with the getting a job thing because obviously you'll be getting a computer so? why not get some games to go with your brand spanking new computer hm? Counter Strike Source, etc.. any games you have an interest in.

You should generally see what makes a good computer (obviously the hardware in it) but like what would be a good specification and see if there any to that standard so you'd have to have at least 4 GB RAM, with at least 500-600 GB Hard Drive space or more if you can, included a decent Graphics Card (Not one that comes with the computer by the way so something like nVidia etc or even a motherboard) but as the quote says DO NOT buy Acer, Gateway etc. They are awful. Just take a look at computers like Packard Bell, Dell, Alienware etc. they are good-high quality brands with decent computers, I suggest you take a look. I wouldn't disagree with the getting a job thing because obviously you'll be getting a computer so? why not get some games to go with your brand spanking new computer hm? Counter Strike Source, etc.. any games you have an interest in.

I really don't even.

Just take a look at computers like Packard Bell, Dell, Alienware etc. they are good-high quality brands with decent computers

Just take a look at computers like Packard Bell they are good-high quality brands with decent computers

Packard Bell are good-high quality brands with decent computers

Packard Bell are good

Packard Bell

i7-3820 Processor

12 GB DDR3 RAM (4DIMMS)

2TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive

Radeon HD 7950 Graphics card

Liquid Cooling

I'm not sure if there are any other details I can give, and I'm not 100% sure these are completely right. But it's working like a charm so far.

Edited by Shotgunsnipa

i7-3820 Processor

12 GB DDR3 RAM (4DIMMS)

2TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive

Radeon HD 7950 Graphics card

Liquid Cooling

I'm not sure if there are any other details I can give, and I'm not 100% sure these are completely right. But it's working like a charm so far.

Did you build it yourself? if not, what brand and how much was the machine?