Sign in to follow this  
Oreo

New forums

He cant please everyone, stop being such a bitch. "feedback" was not given until oreo's post and everything he mentioned seems out of Mitch's hands.

We changed for technical reasons, not for aesthetics. Its a fucking gaming forum - When someone tells you to deal with it, just fucking deal with it.

Yes, feedback was given in the main thread about this. The technical change is understandable, but it's well known that there are many options when it comes to the details that they have the ability to change.

Your final sentence doesn't make any sense.

I think the site looks way more professional IMO. Just like anything new, it will take some getting used to, but I'm liking it so far.

If you want to give feedback just don't be a dick about it. If you just spent a shit load of time getting the new forums up and then someone goes right off the back and tells you it sucks, then yeah I'd find that irritating. If people want to give feedback on what they don't like about it, then make suggestions on how to improve it rather than just saying it sucks. Everybody be cool.

This new forum is pretty awesome

It's probably going to be a lot more compatible with skinning options available on the aftermarket, just wait fo it

The new white/grey option is BLEH to me, so I like the default orange/grey more, maybe sometime there'll be something even nicer tongue.png

Yes. We. Plural. At the very least, Oreo, Empire, and me. I honestly was just referring to a few people, but for some reason you interpreted that as "everyone." This isn't the first time you've had massive reading comprehension issues. I thought our points were valid enough with just that small group, but thanks for theoretically increasing the voice. We've expressed what we don't like about it, in here and other threads, and will continue to give positive and negative comments as we increase our use. You ask for feedback, and when feedback is given, you say "GTFO." Stop being a cunt. I don't see why you had to turn this into a personal argument, but that's what it's become.

Maybe if everything that spewed from your mouth (or keyboard) didn't have such a negative connotation, it might be viewed upon as negative feedback. Stop harassing him, honestly. He, Jason, and i'm sure others, worked very hard on establishing a new forums for everyone to enjoy. They didn't just do it because they thought it was cool; i'm sure there is a much more in depth explanation behind everything, which was already at least partially explained in previous posts.

Negative feedback might be a comment such as "I think we should do this or that, as opposed to this or that." We don't expect you to incessantly criticize anything that isn't up to your expectations. You didn't even thank the staff for working hard on a forum for members like YOU. Show some respect.

And do explain your correction of Ted's post, our infamous grammar nazi.

Yes, feedback was given in the main thread about this. The technical change is understandable, but it's well known that there are many options when it comes to the details that they have the ability to change.

Your final sentence doesn't make any sense.

There were one or two posts with constructive critizism, not counting the theme & rep/thanks concerns. Which is still a drop in the bucket compared to the horde of people welcoming the new forums. Could you please provide examples of these "well known options and details" that our engineers could implement?

I still think you're just a bit upset about the thanks, and I suggest that you sit down.

Could you please provide examples of these "well known options and details" that our engineers could implement?
the thanks

Also: The reduced avatar size, the decreased amount of information posted about a person under their name and avatar, gif support without having to click the image (not sure what the cause of this is, because it works for some and not others), the need to scroll over the number to see who gave rep, the current default theme being composed of confusing gray bars and fragile lines and text, losing the quote links to posts made in the old forums, the inability to see what posts you were thanked for, and other problems. These forums look like they have a lot of cool new features, but I still doubt the necessity of changing again. Haven't we learned anything from Facebook? A lot of these issues may not be controllable by staff, or I may just not know how to properly use the forums, but I feel like with the change they should have provided some sort of tutorial to the functions of the new forums so we understand things better.

But yes, I do believe the biggest problem so far is the rep system. The new method is terrible and loses the significance and balance of the old system.

Ted and GT need to stfu, and buttfuck each other elsewhere.

Anyways, guys, the new IPB forums are still a work in progress. The majority of staff are probably kicking back up school soon, and we will probably be adding stuff in incrementally at a pace that we are comfortable with and can manage.

Fact of the matter is, this is the newest iteration of IPB and alot of plugins just simply aren't compatible yet. Like with any new software (and this is new) it takes some time for everything to get updated for compatibility.

so yeah, keep your pants on, staff wants a cool forum too.

Also: The reduced avatar size, the decreased amount of information posted about a person under their name and avatar, gif support without having to click the image (not sure what the cause of this is, because it works for some and not others), the need to scroll over the number to see who gave rep, the current default theme being composed of confusing gray bars and fragile lines and text, losing the quote links to posts made in the old forums, the inability to see what posts you were thanked for, and other problems. These forums look like they have a lot of cool new features, but I still doubt the necessity of changing again. Haven't we learned anything from Facebook? A lot of these issues may not be controllable by staff, or I may just not know how to properly use the forums, but I feel like with the change they should have provided some sort of tutorial to the functions of the new forums so we understand things better.

But yes, I do believe the biggest problem so far is the rep system. The new method is terrible and loses the significance and balance of the old system.

Ted and GT need to stfu, and buttfuck each other elsewhere.

Anyways, guys, the new IPB forums are still a work in progress. The majority of staff are probably kicking back up school soon, and we will probably be adding stuff in incrementally at a pace that we are comfortable with and can manage.

Fact of the matter is, this is the newest iteration of IPB and alot of plugins just simply aren't compatible yet. Like with any new software (and this is new) it takes some time for everything to get updated for compatibility.

so yeah, keep your pants on, staff wants a cool forum too.

Although I agree that the buttfucking needs to stop, the points that Goldentongue brought up are completely relevant to this thread. With school surprise-buttsecksing us at this time of the year, staff could have had a test forum to make sure that all/most of the features from the old forums could have been carried over. Now we are going to have to deal with school, on top of laziness. Instead of sticking with the old forums and having staff slowly work on these, now we are left with forums that are not as functional as previous versions... and we have to " incrementally " get our old features back. I LOVE the new look and feel of the new forums, I just think that with things not being finished, this was a horrible time to update. Anyway, stop the fights, but don't stop bringing up good points that say a lot more than "ya the forums are pretty good."

Reduced avatar size and decreased amount of info for a member were to keep things cleaner. We will be adding things under that soon, but right now we're just settling in the new forums. We are going to add rep, possibly join date count and a couple other things to your postbit (the information about the user posting).

GIF support is a personal issue. It's working server side, and it works for me. I'm not sure why it happens. If someone can give me an exact and detailed case via PM, I can troubleshoot and fix it.

The need to scroll over to see who gave rep was also to keep things cleaner and to help save server resources. If we had them displayed under, it would increase page loading time and there are other technical aspects to it.

"the current default theme being composed of confusing gray bars and fragile lines and text" --> personally disagree, don't see this at all.

The recent reputation changes, we're also working on. Like fatb0y says, this is a fresh install, we're working on it.

The forum change was motivated more then just cool new features, there are a lot of things behind the scenes (i.e. ranks/recruitment management with the forum groups to sourcebans and the financial department getting a revamp on how it is doing its shit, and managing a vbulletin forum is now horrendous).

> http://www.joinsg.net/index.php?app=core&module=help

should help you if you're confused. like i said, if anyone actually had any real legitimate issues - feel free to PM me. I've been PMing people back within 24-48 hours (usually less) helping their issues.

While this new forum is alright, I still really miss the old set up of the last forum.

I'm personally a person who doesn't like too much change in a small given amount of time. So it's just going to take me a while to deal with this new forum :'[

now we are left with forums that are not as functional as previous versions... and we have to " incrementally " get our old features back.

In what way? Things are different, but I don't really think it's any less functional.

In what way? Things are different, but I don't really think it's any less functional.

The main thing is the link that used to be on quotes... now it is gone and you have to search for the post by yourself if you want to find it. Also to expand on the rep system... Now you have to click to see who gave you rep. Like GT said, before the reputation system was well balanced and had purpose... now it isn't taken as seriously. It will resort in far more negative rep, because before negative rep was hidden to everyone but the poster, now anyone can see it. People will use it more as an "I don't agree" rather than "Ya, you are fucking retarded." Not saying that it is completely bad, just very different and a big change from something that worked perfectly before. But back to the functionality part, those are the two biggest things. But, those are some of the most important features for me, so it may affect people differently.

The main thing is the link that used to be on quotes... now it is gone and you have to search for the post by yourself if you want to find it. Also to expand on the rep system... Now you have to click to see who gave you rep. Like GT said, before the reputation system was well balanced and had purpose... now it isn't taken as seriously. It will resort in far more negative rep, because before negative rep was hidden to everyone but the poster, now anyone can see it. People will use it more as an "I don't agree" rather than "Ya, you are fucking retarded." Not saying that it is completely bad, just very different and a big change from something that worked perfectly before. But back to the functionality part, those are the two biggest things. But, those are some of the most important features for me, so it may affect people differently.

Protip: click on the little quote icon on the quote header. Solved your issue there.

The rep system was nothing but balanced before, I know this firsthand and so does Goldentounge.

I also completely disagree with the functionality, there's more functionality on this forum, the learning curve just happens to be steeper.

Protip: click on the little quote icon on the quote header. Solved your issue there.

The rep system was nothing but balanced before, I know this firsthand and so does Goldentounge.

I also completely disagree with the functionality, there's more functionality on this forum, the learning curve just happens to be steeper.

Oh ok that solves a big problem tongue.png

No don't get me wrong, I love these forums... more than the old ones. But I still want the old thanking system back. How was it not balanced and why is this new reputation system better?

haha, the new rep system is way more balanced. Everyone's vote counts for 1, and neg repping is a lot more practical. On the old forums, unless someone fucked up majorly, I would never neg rep them 'cause it'd mean like -50 rep for them. Largely, unless people were greatly disliked, they were almost never negatively repped. It's now much easier for me to casually neg rep someone who does somethin' stupid than it was before. It makes the reputation system a lot more inviscid.

Reputation before was mostly a result of how much time you'd spent on the forum. I think if we zeroed everyone's rep and waited about 6 months, everyone's rep at that time would be a much more accurate representation of how well they're liked on the forums compared to before.

Wish it worked for posts made on the old forums, but I expect there's nothing you can do about that.

The rep system was nothing but balanced before,

Dude, uh, exactly. But I don't think you understand what you're saying here...

haha, the new rep system is way more balanced. Everyone's vote counts for 1, and neg repping is a lot more practical. On the old forums, unless someone fucked up majorly, I would never neg rep them 'cause it'd mean like -50 rep for them. Largely, unless people were greatly disliked, they were almost never negatively repped. It's now much easier for me to casually neg rep someone who does somethin' stupid than it was before. It makes the reputation system a lot more inviscid.

Reputation before was mostly a result of how much time you'd spent on the forum. I think if we zeroed everyone's rep and waited about 6 months, everyone's rep at that time would be a much more accurate representation of how well they're liked on the forums compared to before.

The new rep system, by being completely balanced, is unbalanced. It puts too much power in the hands of stupid people like sandy balls who can and will go around just voting down any post of someone they don't like (me), or Mitch's miserable minions who over-react to anything said contradicting him and gossip about it on teamspeak. The old system gave people the ability to show their disapproval, either by negative repping or simply by calling out a post with a response, but it also kept count of the appreciation you earned as its own entity, and no one could take those numbers away from you. I agree that the mass amount of rep change some of us could make was ridiculous, but having thanks and rep as two separate systems was great. If we can add in a thanks system similar to before, it would be a well desired function for some of us who had a strong and blatant interest in it, while making it possible to keep a modified version of this upvote system.

You know, I think that you may have changed my mind. I loved the old rep system but I just gotta give this one a chance.

For the most part I think the new forums are pretty awesome.

I'm cool with the rep system. Just wish we could still leave a comment for a person when we repped them and that we had an easier way to see when our posts were repped.

Oh, and I also wish we could see more than the most recent 5 posts made by a user when we check out their posts.

I like the fact that positive and negative repping isn't as ridiculous as it was before for people with a high reputation level. It seems like repping someone's post isn't as big of a deal as it was before, and because of that is done more casually to indicate your opinion on a post. In the previous system the only time I really got negged is when someone wanted to say "Fuck you" to me through the reputation system. I feel like if I get negged now it's more just someone expressing their opinion on my post. I also like the fact that people can view who voted up or down on a post.

My main gripes are that there's no real way as of yet to be notified if someone votes a post of yours up or down and that I wish we had retained the thank system, even if it was independent of the reputation system. Actually, I think it would be better that way to be honest.

i think the forums are nice. rep system is awesome. has a nice clean look.

i'm sure it wont be long before developers start creating new plugins or updating their old ones