Sign in to follow this  
TZK203

What does it mean to be truly independent?

I'm a maturing teen (not really important) and I have been hearing this term being thrown around a lot by my parents.

Life aside, I believe that you are truly independent when you are "thinking one step ahead." Simply saying, if you had a box of stuff that you needed to empty out, and no one said you should empty out said box, you say to yourself, "I'm going to empty that box in order to free up some space here;" by doing this, I see you as being truly independent--at least for the situation--because you didn't need the get-go of someone else telling you to empty that box.

Now, am I at least partially correct with my definition?

I'm a maturing teen (not really important) and I have been hearing this term being thrown around a lot by my parents.

Life aside, I believe that you are truly independent when you are "thinking one step ahead." Simply saying, if you had a box of stuff that you needed to empty out, and no one said you should empty out said box, you say to yourself, "I'm going to empty that box in order to free up some space here;" by doing this, I see you as being truly independent--at least for the situation--because you didn't need the get-go of someone else telling you to empty that box.

what you're talking about is just having self-discipline. i can't say that its mutually exclusive to what i think you mean by independence, but it's a step in the right direction. there are different types of independence- financial, social, emotional, etc. i think that most people, being humans, are social creatures that all depend on others in some way or another.

one day you'll get a kick in the ass one way or another, and that is when you'll find out what kind of person you are/going to be. don't rush it though, your parents are probably just tired of doing your laundry and cleaning up after your shit. they would probably like for you to pay for some of your own stuff as well.

in my experience, a little effort can go a long way to get them off your back. do some chores and keep them from having stuff to bitch about without having them ask.

your post made me think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk3mAX5xdxo

I think it's pretty clear that you're independent when you have the ability to thrive in a given society on your own.

I feel that's more of a superficial statement. But hey, correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it's pretty clear that you're independent when you have the ability to thrive in a given society on your own.

Pretty much this. There are different types of independence, though, so it really just depends on what you're talking about.

When your mom no longer washes your cum rag.

What was the point of posting this?

Can you keep your jokes outside of this thread, please?

Again, I'm not saying your jokes are crappy, but this contributes NOTHING to the thread.

What was the point of posting this?

Can you keep your jokes outside of this thread, please?

Again, I'm not saying your jokes are crappy, but this contributes NOTHING to the thread.

You provided a rhetorical question with no concrete answer due to the infinite number of different situations it could be applied to.

If you can't figure out what the term means for yourself individually, then you're not the type of person who should worry about it. The irony of the topic is delicious to say the least.

In the end, my humor is more valuable than the philosophical ejaculations of people who take this thread seriously. But yes, my jokes are crappy.

All a parent wants to know is if their progeny are going to survive without them.

So, in order to solve this issue: Go to college, get a job, grow a goatee, get a girlfriend, lose said girlfriend, drink yourself blind and fall asleep in a dark alleyway, lose your job, and finally hate your life. That sounds about right for the typical adult life. To top it all off, never call your parents after you're out. Nothing you could ever do could remove their disappointment.

to be truly independent is to be truly self-sufficient. To be truly self-sufficient, one must be able to suffice through the endeavors of one's own self. The sense in which one suffices, is irrelevant, because to be truly independent means that one must be able to suffice in all senses without the assistance of others.

to be truly independent is to be truly self-sufficient. To be truly self-sufficient, one must be able to suffice through the endeavors of one's own self. The sense in which one suffices, is irrelevant, because to be truly independent means that one must be able to suffice in all senses without the assistance of others.

Why give him the benefit of limiting his dependancy to just other people?

There are many things other than other people we depend on in order to exist.