Sign in to follow this  
Zoxopirezox Jared

What laptop should i use?

well, i want a macbook pro. And with the jared rumor that they are going to discontinue all the current models and move to the next generation within the next year, i need something to hold me off. I have no mobile computer, i sold my iPad. So Im thinking of getting a sorta shitty computer and i'll run ubuntu on it. So here are my options.

HP G72

Microprocessor Dual Core) Intel Pentium Processor T4500

Microprocessor Cache 2.30GHz

Memory 3GB

Memory Max 8GB

Video Graphics Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M

Video Memory Up to 1309MB

Hard Drive 320GB (5400RPM)

Multimedia Drive SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support

Display 17.3” diagonal High Definition+ HP BrightView LED Display (1600 x 900)

Network Card Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN

Wireless Connectivity 802.11b/g/n WLAN

Sound Altec Lansing speakers

Keyboard 101-key compatible with full-size keyboard with integrated numeric keypad

Pointing Device Touch Pad with integrated On/Off button and 2-way scroll pad support

External Ports 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards

3 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0

1 HDMI

1 VGA (15-pin)

1 RJ -45 (LAN)

1 Headphone-out

1 Microphone-in

$300 refurbished with warranty

OR

Compact Presario CQ56

• AMD V-Series processor V140, 2GB DDR3 memory, 250GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
  • ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 graphics, 15.6" LED high-definition display
  • 3 high-speed USB 2.0 ports, Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n), Built-in 10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector
  • 6-cell lithium-ion battery,up to 4 hours and 15 minutes to give you more time away from an outlet.
  • 2.3ghz

$300 New with no warranty.

I would say the Intel box because they usually run cooler than AMD boxes, but the AMD you listed is a nice size. though 14.1" is perfect

I got the 17" model, havnt been dissapointed. Been using it mostly as a desktop replacement however, and not much asa work machine.

However, the ventilation is GARBAGE! Only two places on the chasis, and both of which are covered totally when on an uneven surface. Will overheat and shut down if you use it, say, on youre lap.

Guest Ethan1

2.4 ghz quad core for laptop isn't bad...

2.4 ghz quad core for laptop isn't bad...

ignore sandvich, he rarely knows what he is talking about, but there are exceptions as a Broken clock is right twice a day.

But anyway, back to the thread. Ok buy. however ventilation is the main concnern as quad's give off more heat, so gotta be careful bout that.

Laptops are always a no. And Apple? GTFO NAOW! Bet that Air has a life time of... 1 day - 1 week. It's cooling must be so fucking bad or then even more likely it has no cooling at all. It's performance is going to decrease very fast, which is the problem with all laptops. Then again which also is most likely the reason to get one, they can be carried around with no problem. If this is not required, you use it almost only at home, then your pretty stupid.

This post is not directed at anyone, just throwing in an opinion.