Sign in to follow this  
O.G.

So, my desktop broke... help

Yeah, a few weeks ago we got our carpets cleans, so I had to move all my furniture out of the house. I didnt unplug and components, just the power cord, and when I brought it back inside, it wont boot, not at all. So, now I'm stuck on this little HP lap top....

Someone buy me mincraaft...

You probably got serious static on that power cord when you were cleaning(Dust launched into the air,hits cord,static builds,plugs in,shorts out) and if it wasnt in the house(The cable) then it was most likely static again or simply water or something.

What kind of desktop do you have?

do you have a power switch on your power supply? make sure it's on

make sure everything inside the computer is seated properly and no cables are disconnected

What kind of desktop do you have?

do you have a power switch on your power supply? make sure it's on

make sure everything inside the computer is seated properly and no cables are disconnected

Yeah its on, I get power to everything, but it wont boot, not even bios will come up...

LOPEZ, you live in the netherlands, go whore yourself for an hour and buy it!

do you have any other desktop computer that you can switch the parts into? i would think that ur powersupply is dead. but i mean you were moving it around. you could have fucked up the way the power enters it. The cord could have a rip in it, the prongs that receive the power into the computer could be bent. idk, just a guess. take a good thorough look at the thing, inside and out. Look for burnt parts, could be a small burnout and you need to do some soldering. I know that's sorta unlikely but it happens more than you think.

Could be a simple power supply burnout.

Those things are cheap, easy to find, and easy to replace. Just check what size your currently using.

I'd start from there.

Before you do that just make sure your ram/video card didn't get jostled around and pop out a little bit.

Just press the cards into their slots or remove them and pop them back in. Stuff like this is usually a simple fix.

He said there is power and the bios doesn't load, AKA, his hard-drive is dead and probably some damage to the motherboard as well.

you can get to your bios without having a hard drive, you need at least a stick of ram to get to the bios. SO it's probably his ram.

you can get to your bios without having a hard drive, you need at least a stick of ram to get to the bios. SO it's probably his ram.

This was my guess. if there's power (i.e. LEDs on in various places) then the PSU should be okay. If it doesn't boot it's probably either a RAM or motherboard issue. Hopefully it's not a motherboard issue, because that's much harder to fix. RAM is easy, find some replacement ram, swap it in, and see if it works. nothing wrong with the hard drive.

A cord inside might have been unplugged when you were moving it so I would open it and check for any loose cords. Loose/missing RAM might also be another reason why it's not booting.

I've had RAM trouble in the past, so thats probably whats wrong with is, if anything it gives me an excuse to get a new comp, which would be awsome.

But about dat minecraft...

I've had RAM trouble in the past, so thats probably whats wrong with is, if anything it gives me an excuse to get a new comp, which would be awsome.

But about dat minecraft...

If you have more than 1 stick, only put one of them in, reboot it...if it doesnt work swap out till youve checked all your ram.

As a general "check everything" i would take it apart and rebuild it to make sure nothing loosened or w/e during the moving

edit: also i just want to mention...there is a tech subforum for a reason :P