Sign in to follow this  
SuperNorch

DARPA’s advance research arm building virtual Internet to battle cyber attacks

Seriously, Norch, all you do is grab links to articles and post them to boost your count. It's kind of annoying.

But seriously, they need $130 million to make a simulated internet? I'm pretty sure you don't need that much. Build a high end DNS server ($4k?), purchase a bunch of switches and whatnot, add a bunch of clients ($300 each), add in servers you would want to attempt to hack (depends on the specs) and then have at it. No where near $130m...

Seriously, Norch, all you do is grab links to articles and post them to boost your count. It's kind of annoying.

But seriously, they need $130 million to make a simulated internet? I'm pretty sure you don't need that much. Build a high end DNS server ($4k?), purchase a bunch of switches and whatnot, add a bunch of clients ($300 each), add in servers you would want to attempt to hack (depends on the specs) and then have at it. No where near $130m...

I'm just trying to inform our community man I didn't know it was annoying sorry.

I'm glad that something is being done about the security of America's networks.

I agree. Even though some of the attacks are lulz worthy you know that the attacks can get only more and more severe.

Also Clay, even though a lot of the posts in the news and debate forum are by super, which do include links, at least it is interesting news for us to debate about. It's not just a way to "boost your post count". A lot of this news I might not have seen without him posting the link and his posts usually create interesting reads.

Remember, this is the government, so nothing is cheap. Take your everyday hardware and multiply it by 5 or 10x the cost, for security measures, features, etc. This is also DARPA we're talking about, so their shit is probably way advanced. Then factor in costs of labor, writing software, equipment and software failures, etc etc.

This is also DARPA we're talking about, so their shit is probably way advanced.

This is false information you're surmising about.

(seewhatIdidthere?)

OT:

If the trial goes well, DARPA will then train people in the U.S. military’s Cyber Command, known as “cyberwarriors.” It should be up and running by the middle of 2012.

This is what the cost is towards. You have to consider what they're doing claystar. The hardware might not cost more than 100,000, but then they need all the funding to pump into the infrastructure around it. Also, looks like they might actually have a way for fat nerds to join the army - REJOICE!!!

Build a high end DNS server ($4k?), purchase a bunch of switches and whatnot, add a bunch of clients ($300 each), add in servers you would want to attempt to hack (depends on the specs) and then have at it. No where near $130m...

...maybe they could call it the "Shadow DNS?"

I'm sure their development goes a little more in depth than that.

I don't see why there is a need to bash me for posting an article. I'm just trying to post articles that are interesting. Sure I'm just typing a sentence but what if I just want to see peoples opinions.

EDIT: Oh and I'm glad that our government is actually paying attention to network security now.

I don't see why there is a need to bash me for posting an article. I'm just trying to post articles that are interesting. Sure I'm just typing a sentence but what if I just want to see peoples opinions.

EDIT: Oh and I'm glad that our government is actually paying attention to network security now.

Your fine man, I appreciated the article.