Sign in to follow this  
Ponder

Windows 8

Windows 8 looks dumb as shit. I'm still regretting moving to Windows 7. Microsoft can die in a fire with their gay OS updates. I have a phone for all that jazz, I don't have a goddamn touch screen computer. I play games. I don't need to check my Twitter while I play CS. I don't need to look at live tiles of douchebags I don't care about posting status updates on Facebook. I don't need a fucking on screen keyboard.

Semi-coherent argument: Windows 8 is a gimmick and offers nothing to power users.

Windows 8 looks dumb as shit. I'm still regretting moving to Windows 7. Microsoft can die in a fire with their gay OS updates. I have a phone for all that jazz, I don't have a goddamn touch screen computer. I play games. I don't need to check my Twitter while I play CS. I don't need to look at live tiles of douchebags I don't care about posting status updates on Facebook. I don't need a fucking on screen keyboard.

Semi-coherent argument: Windows 8 is a gimmick and offers nothing to power users.

This

The whole time I read this I just kept looking at your Avatar and knew that you probably looked exactly like that when reading about Windows 8.

Yeah I think the tiles are dumb as shit. I'm not impressed so far.

mhmmmm

I just read this...and frankly, with the direction of the market, this will be the only way I'd buy another windows OS (or any other, for that matter):

What if…

What I really think Microsoft should have done is this. Toss the entire core Windows OS (DLLs, Registry, Virus vulnerabilities and all) out the window, and start from scratch with a UNIX based kernel and core OS. Then, simply implement Windows classic via a built-in dedicated VM (created by Microsoft for this purpose, with performance in mind), in much the same vein as VMWare or Parallels. This model would allow a user to have his classic VM infected with a virus, trojan horse, or other nastiness, and simply hit a “reset classic†button that would reset classic by replacing its disk image with a restore image stored somewhere on the machine. Maybe I’m missing something, but this seems like a far more logical way of dealing with the need for classic support than keeping the entire mess of Windows around for the ride. I’m sure performance in demanding apps such as games was cited internally as a reason for doing this, but the disadvantages seem to far outweigh the benefits in this case.

I just read this...and frankly, with the direction of the market, this will be the only way I'd buy another windows OS (or any other, for that matter):

So what he's saying is, Windows should be a Mac clone.

If they decided to port the DX libraries to run natively on UNIX, or provided a (nearly) perfect DX to OGL pass-through layer, I would pay $100 for it. That would be the first, and only M$ product I ever buy.

That's the entire reason Windows dominates the market. They over-marketed DX to developers and threw the standard from OGL to DX, causing Linux gaming to fall to the wayside. If DX wasn't the current standard, Linux would be my only OS, but instead, I have to deal with Windows. OGL has more than enough to beat DX, but developers don't use it because writing a rendering engine that uses two completely different libraries is more of a pain in the ass now with all the special effects being implemented in to games, and DX guarantees you market share.

It more boils down to whether the market would like to see a game that says "With OpenGL 4.1 support" or "With DirectX 11 support". Obviously, retards who buy Alienwares and pre-builts (the majority of the PC gaming market) are going to jump on the latter because 11 is bigger than 4.1, and DirectX is what they know.

Before reading: Already!?!?!? Shit, didn't 7 just come out a couple months ago!?!?!?? (of course that's incorrect, just how I feel.)

After a quick browse:

Reminds me of Vista, they tried to go for his crazy sort of new age look, and seem to misstep. Windows 7 had a great place, it took vista, and combined the style with the innards that deserve it. Perhaps if i wait until Windows 9 it will go something similar?

Only time will tell I suppose.

Perhaps if i wait until Windows 9 it will go something similar?

Don't even talk about Windows 9 yet. It's bad enough they're pushing a new OS already, I don't wanna have to think about upgrading for another 5 or 6 years.

Oh Microsoft, you and your thousands of unnecessary updates.

That's useless and I agree with Clay... we dont need those things and touch screen is just pathetic.

I think that touch is the way of the future.

So is there any reason at all to "upgrade" from 7 to 8? As of now, it seems like the only thing Microsoft is capable of doing is adding gimmicks while attempting to make them look like innovative and important. If I wanted innovation, then I would go for any Linux distro.

Linux is the future.

Fixed.

Guest Ethan1

Well the video doesn't say whether or not we are able to maintain our normal (useful) layout. While it implies that it won't, it still seems like they know that nobody who uses the computer for anything useful is going to buy Windows 8.

FYI clay, the tiles are optional. its for touchscreen HTPC's and tablets. 99% of people wont use it. Your rage is pretty hilarious.

The article is misleading.

otherwise its pretty much exactly like 7

id call the tile stuff an updated windows media centre or w/e. Itll be good for tablets and touchscreens. Not for hardcore users.

in the end im pretty sure this is going to be used for newer tablets coming out, and HTPC's which is a growing market that they want to be a part of.

they should call it Windows Touch or something. Not a whole new OS, which it isnt.

Its pretty stupid to even think its made for hardcore users.

I wouldn't use this on my HTPC. XBMC is 30x better than WMC.

I don't think so. It's pretty shit imo.

You're missing the point of it. First, I'm pretty sure Skotti was trolling. But secondly, and more importantly, it's made for netbooks and tablets. I've used it before. It's actually kind of cool. The only thing I wish you could do was install things locally. I don't mind SSHing in to my schools Comp Sci server, but I'd rather code on my own system and then push my code updates through sftp. It's just easier IMO. And I prefer Jolicloud over Chromium OS, honestly.

image.php?u=1002&dateline=1306906335

lol jk, i personally cant stand touchscreens, besides on a phone/ipod

I didn't buy it. I built it. It's just a normal computer that I hook up to my TV using HDMI. I got a remote for it, too. I stream all my movies from my main computer over FTP to it. I can stream a 1080p movie without any hiccups and I can fast forward/rewind normally. It's awesome.

So, no touchscreen.