Sign in to follow this  
Balthazar

Ask a Karate Master Anything.

Rofl. I'm bored.

I know I'm not a master so stfu I'm joking.

If anyone has ever had a question about what style I take, fighting in general, or martial arts related shit feel free to ask.

I know all the history and shit about my style, I know 90% of my techniques in Japanese (Not sure how to type them out correctly however >.>)

Anyways. Ask away.

inb4 Pebbz, Dy, Fatboy, Goldentongue trolls me.

Guest J_MaFia

I would like to know when we gon meet up bro bro.

I would like to know when we gon meet up bro bro.

Lol not the question I expected but I dunno mang. You can't drive can you?

edit: Great I can't even make one thing on these forums anymore without getting trolled by people, you guys must be so cool irl.

Can you teach me Kung Fu? :P

Karate is Japanese, Kung Fu is Chinese, I teach karate but I have dabbled in Tiger and Wing Chun Kun Fu so I could show you a couple things from them probably but nothing extensive and fancy. :3

so whats your status, and by status I mean experience / belt

also how long have you been doing this for?

From which of the Three main cities did you style originate? Shuri, Naha, or Tomari?

Is your Dojo traditional, Americanized, or something in between?

Do the leaders of the Largest Dojo of your style allow people of non Okinawan decent to achieve the highest of ranks?

How do other Dojo's view your own?

Do you teach classes?

If so, what do you teach? Kumite, Kihon/Kata, Kobudo?

Which dan are you?

How long does it take a student to reach the rank of 1st dan?

What is your Kyu system? That is, does it go white, gold, orange, blue, green, brown, black. Or do you have purple and red as well?

If I think of more I'll let you know :)

inb4 Pebbz, Dy, Fatboy, Goldentongue trolls me.

Well if it makes you feel any better...I rofl'd at this thread title...

And think you're cute for taking karate. martial arts lessons that aren't taught for the sake of hurting/ending summmmmbohhhhdeee

If you gonna learn how to fight, you best learn it to kick someone's ass (see: Army combatives training). none of this

bullshit.

I quit all that shit after I realized how useless it is. I now fight with a real trainer. I know quite a few Atemi-waza from various disciplines (though am focusing more on this, as I've rarely dealt with it before), and have pretty sound knowledge of katame-waza from my jiu-jitsu, but obviosly bolstered by some of the aikido and judo I'm doing now.

Will start dealing with weapons more in the next few years, but I'm trying to get in better shape/become a general badass first (teach me zachmanmanmanmanmanman!!! You're such a man :()

~frootsy

IBJJF Purple Behlt (would be black by nao for sure :P was purple @ 16)

Probs rank at shodan for Judo and sankyu for Aikido - they both use much of the same crap, but Aikido's...special, so...no black belt for me :(

so whats your status, and by status I mean experience / belt

also how long have you been doing this for?

Thank you for a real real question.

Anyways. I am currently a 1st Degree Black Belt,

I've been doing it for 8 years and 4 months, give or take a month or two.

I received my black belt at the beginning of may 2010, so I've been a black belt for a little over a year now.

If I wasn't leaving for the Navy in december I would be testing for 2nd degree around May of next year, there is a rough set time for each degree, actually I'll outline them quick.

White to Black Belt: Depending on how much the person trains, how good they are progressing, enthusiasm, that kind of stuff, this takes 7-13 years roughly. I was always a fast learner, Hence I received mine around the 7 year mark.

1st Degree to 2nd Degree: 2 Year minimun, by the time of achieving black belt, most people have become fast learners and these time lines are extremely accurate, after all, you only get black belt once they think you are ready to really take your learning to the next level, part of learning is learning to teach too, I was just lucky I was offered an actual position at the place, not just asked to assist some nights.

(In my style, 1st and 2nd Degree wear only a solid black belt, l'll describe the others as i go on.)

2nd Degree to 3rd Degree: I think it is either 2 or 3 years, could be wrong.

3rd Degree to 4th Degree: 3 or 4 years.

(When 3rd and 4th Degree, you wear a black belt with a solid red stripe through the middle, looking like this:

black black black black

red red red red red red

black black black black

)

4th Degree to 5th Degree: 4-5 years

5th Degree to 6th Degree: 6-7 years

(I will also note that once you officially test for your 5th Degree, when receiving 6th Degree and higher you are no longer tested, but are promoted based simply off of amount of time put into your training and/or teaching.)

(The belt for 5th and 6th Degree is half red, half white, like so:

white white white white white

red red red red red red red

When you wear it, 5th Degree wears it as seen above, 6th Degree wears it like so:

red red red red red red red

white white white white white

)

6th Degree to 7th Degree: 10 years

7th Degree to 8th Degree: Not sure, could be upwards of 15-20 years.

(7th and 8th Degree wear a red and white striped belt like so:

red white red white red white red white

)

Now getting 9th Degree is the highest, it is red belt, like the Highlander, afaik, there can only be one, he is considered the current master.

From which of the Three main cities did you style originate? Shuri, Naha, or Tomari?

This is actually one of the few questions I do not know. I'll ask my Sensei tomorrow and see if he knows, he should.

Is your Dojo traditional, Americanized, or something in between?

I'd like to say, well it's hard to explain, But I'd consider white-brown belt Americanized, But our black belt classes are intense and probably something in between.

Do the leaders of the Largest Dojo of your style allow people of non Okinawan decent to achieve the highest of ranks?

How do other Dojo's view your own?

Ours is actually very highly regarded in the US and our style, Isshin-Ryu, the current master is Angi Uezu and he thinks very highly of my Sensei and the dojo we run.

We actually recently created the new International Isshin-Ryu Karate Federation, with the leader of my dojo and another from here in rochester actually are the founders.

We have dojos from all over the world from here in the US to Australia applying avidly. It was just created January of this year give or take a month or so. It is working out great.

Do you teach classes?

I teach classes several times a week for a few hours at a time.

If so, what do you teach? Kumite, Kihon/Kata, Kobudo?

I teach all of them, Though my favorites, in order are: Kumite, Kobudo, Kata :3

Which dan are you?

Sho-Dan (1st)

How long does it take a student to reach the rank of 1st dan?

See last post.

What is your Kyu system? That is, does it go white, gold, orange, blue, green, brown, black. Or do you have purple and red as well?

Our belts go as such: White, Yellow, Orange, Green, Brown, Black. All belts from white to brown have stripes, marking progression of that belt rank that based on the belt have quite long testings between stripes, usually at a formal stripe testing but some lower ranks are just done right in their class. Black belt and up has none of that. There's also none of that "Junior Black Belt" and shit like that here.

Edit:

Could you defend yourself from a dirty fighting, ear biting, hair pulling rapist down here in the streetz of NYC (where the kool new yorkers are)?

Oh I'm quite sure. We don't just do fancy karate cool looking shit. We train to fight for real. The way we spar is totally different from the way we train self defense. I mean, fighting "dirty" isn't fighting dirty when you are fighting for your life and the lives of your loved ones.

We do groin strikes, eye gouging, throat strike, knees, a lot of the weakest points of the body.

Our master used to say "When you are attacked, the fight should last less than five seconds."

We are trained to completely disable our opponent in the fastest amount of time using the least amount of moves, so that we can escape unharmed.

It's not that they're repetitive, it's that they're getting less funny.

False.

Also, I updated my post for you balthazar. Not for a srs question, but to 1up you :)

<3