Sign in to follow this  
Contract Killer

New Monitor

I am in the market for a new monitor, obviously for gaming, surfing the web, and the occasional photoshop. Currently I have a 22" Gateway Widescreen, looking for 23" and up, at least 1920x1080 or 1200. Price range is around $300, though $400 is tops. I've looked around, but am lost when it comes to monitors, so all suggestions are welcome.

canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_705&item_id=038146

Just got that, you can probablly find it on newegg. So far, I love it.

i just love my 2xDell 2209WA eIPS screens.... they don't lag too much for gaming, but its only 1680x1050

are you planning to dual screen? if so and you want to dualscreen gaming, its best to get the same resolution monitor, preferably the same size as well

No, I plan on one screen, and I have a smaller screen off to the side for itunes and such.

I was thinking of an IPS, specifically the Dell U2311H, but was worried of the lack of HDMI port, and have read reviews of a pinkish tint on half the screen.

No, I plan on one screen, and I have a smaller screen off to the side for itunes and such.

I was thinking of an IPS, specifically the Dell U2311H, but was worried of the lack of HDMI port, and have read reviews of a pinkish tint on half the screen.

i mean you can get a DVI->HDMI adapter... the U2311H doesn't have built in speakers right, only the sound bar?

I heard Dell is pretty good at allowing you to keep exchanging their monitors until you get one you like

the only concern with IPS panels is a bit of a blue glow when viewed from angles. gorgeous monitor otherwise for the money. Its 1080p(16:9), but personally im not too affected by that.

otherwise colour is near perfect. Ideal for photoshop and editing. mac book pros use IPS, thats why many people use them for photoshop. (unless you get ridiculous expensive monitors)

No built in speakers, has display port,VGA and DVI. Pretty sure it comes with DVI - HDMI. I never needed it

and overall, very solid monitor. All monitors part of the ultra-sharp series are great

otherwise colour is near perfect. Ideal for photoshop and editing. mac book pros use IPS, thats why many people use them for photoshop. (unless you get ridiculous expensive monitors)

actually macbook pros don't have ips screens. they just have a pretty good TN screen... the iPad and iMacs do use IPS though

my next laptop would be the lenovo x220. 3 pounds IPS Sandy Bridge.... too bad no need for it for now. possible to get one for $650(i3), $800 for a better i5+RAM... 9 cell + slice battery = 20 hour battery life. omg

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4211/lenovo-announces-thinkpad-x220-series-12-ips-with-sandy-bridge

Guest dynamiicked

Most dell ultrasharp monitors are great try finding a nice 16:10 24in on dell outlet or ebay.

BenQ G2420HD 24" LCD Monitor - 1080p, 1920x1080, 16:9, 1000:1 Native, 40000:1 Dynamic, 5ms, VGA, DVI, HDMI, Tilt

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6626973&Sku=B145-2402%20CA

$169.99 CAN

I bought this a year or two ago, no problems, great monitor. HDMI came in handy for projectors and 360.

I got a hp with 1920x1080, 23" for 300 bucks at wally mart so just look around there pretty nice

An HP? I'm guessing that thing has like 5ms response time.

I'm saying you got ripped off homie.

An HP? I'm guessing that thing has like 5ms response time.

I'm saying you got ripped off homie.

The dell has an advertised 8ms response time and the input lag is alot better than most cheap monitors.

I would never go by what it says on the box. there are cheap POS monitors with a advertised rating of 2ms.

I got a hp with 1920x1080, 23" for 300 bucks at wally mart so just look around there pretty nice

I'm pretty sure you're out of the US, so I dunno what that is in my money, but it's too expensive. Walmart monitors are all garbage (none of them at any Walmart near me have HDMI, and only one had DVI (it was $400)).

I've never noticed any major input lag. I can't play RB on any TVs anymore, unless they work out of the box. Calibration doesn't work for me. I literally just spent 20 minutes fine tuning calibration on my roommate's 120 hz LCD and I wasn't able to get it right. Shit fucks my game up, yo.

The dell has an advertised 8ms response time and the input lag is alot better than most cheap monitors.

I would never go by what it says on the box. there are cheap POS monitors with a advertised rating of 2ms.

This^^

Response times are a gimmick anymore, the same with LED.