Sign in to follow this  
Balthazar

Level-Headed Religious Discussion

I used to believe as some sort of a god when I grew up, but then I grew out of it like the Santa Clause story, so I wasn't sure any more.

Then I thought "Why pretend to have an idea, when I don't?", so I became agnostic.

Then I thought "Why say I don't know, when in reality, I don't believe?", so I became an atheist.

Then I thought "Why say I don't believe in a god, when I can think I am one?". So I did.

That having a level headed discussion on religion is damned near impossible in even the most respectable of places. This is not one of those places. ;)

If there really is a god, he must be flattered that millions have died fighting over how he should be worshiped.

If there really is a god, he must be flattered that millions have died fighting over how he should be worshiped.

I feel like a good god should be face palming, instead of being flattered.

Guest J_MaFia

I just like to beleive that there is life after death you know? I cant imagine the blackness and emptiness of death.... Just seems horrible too me. I'd rather beleive i'm going somewhere you know? That i'll live on and not be just gone no memory no thought.

I cant imagine the blackness and emptiness of death....

There seems to be a common misconception that after your consciousness ends you will for some reason be stuck in some kind of alternate universe in which everything is black and you just stand around for an eternity feeling sad and empty. This isn't the case. When your consciousness ends, you literally don't exist to experience anything at all.

There seems to be a common misconception that after your consciousness ends you will for some reason be stuck in some kind of alternate universe in which everything is black and you just stand around for an eternity feeling sad and empty. This isn't the case. When your consciousness ends, you literally don't exist to experience anything at all.

OOOR, you are granted 72 virgins and a dream home. :)

Every time I try to imagine death, I subconsciously start thinking of me being trapped in blackness for the rest of eternity, but I understand that there will literally be nothing. It's an extremely difficult concept to grasp, but I still know that there will be nothing to feel. It makes me mad just thinking about it X[

Oh look. It's this thread again.

I can't believe religion for one thing: If God is really this great and powerful, why is there such a problem with evil in the world? This was the main point brought up in my philosophy class. Why should we believe there is an 'all powerful' being, if he really isn't shown to be all, nor powerful for what should not happen in the world?

Oh look. It's this thread again.

I can't believe religion for one thing: If God is really this great and powerful, why is there such a problem with evil in the world? This was the main point brought up in my philosophy class. Why should we believe there is an 'all powerful' being, if he really isn't shown to be all, nor powerful for what should not happen in the world?

Thanks Epicurus. Also, why is your name Spanish for prayer if you're non-religious? Just curious.

Also, I seemed to kind of skip past the whole existential angst phase people seem to experience when trying to come to acceptance with the fact that when their brain stops working their consciousness, by extension, no longer exists. I've never really had much trouble with the concept, but that's just me.

Thanks Epicurus. Also, why is your name Spanish for prayer if you're non-religious? Just curious.

Also, I seemed to kind of skip past the whole existential angst phase people seem to experience when trying to come to acceptance with the fact that when their brain stops working their consciousness, by extension, no longer exists. I've never really had much trouble with the concept, but that's just me.

The best way to deal with this obstacle is to ask them what they remember from before they were conceived.

Well when I used the name I didn't know what it meant. It's just ironic that it means prayer and I'm basically an atheist haha.

On topic though, I still haven't found anyone who really can answer me that question. I'm waiting for the "God only gives us what we can handle..." line soon.

On topic though, I still haven't found anyone who really can answer me that question. I'm waiting for the "God only gives us what we can handle..." line soon.

There're numerous counterarguments that make sense from a logical perspective. The best is probably that we can't possibly fathom the motives of a god.

There're numerous counterarguments that make sense from a logical perspective. The best is probably that we can't possibly fathom the motives of a god.

However, if there is evil going on in the world and God is unable to do something of it, what does that make him? The problem with this whole debate is that nothing can ever be decided because there always seems to be an excuse for what God can/can't do.

I could question motives, but if he is as great as stated and able to do so much, what stops him from stopping evil?

I don't think you get it. What you may perceive as rampant, unbridled evil that's free to flourish could all be part of a plan we're unable to grasp. Or, it could be that the relatively small problems we experience in our day-to-day lives are too unimportant for a god to intervene. Further still is the possibility that miracles do and have happened, but we'd never know because we don't have the perspective of being able to see what might have happened before tragedy was averted. There're numerous explanations and many are completely reasonable.

However, if there is evil going on in the world and God is unable to do something of it, what does that make him? The problem with this whole debate is that nothing can ever be decided because there always seems to be an excuse for what God can/can't do.

I could question motives, but if he is as great as stated and able to do so much, what stops him from stopping evil?

There is no logical problem with evil and God both existing. The presence of evil does however reduce the probability that theism is correct. The existence of properly eliminable evils (evils that seem that they could be eliminated, such as natural disasters) does pose a worry for theists.

The following quote supports the following statement: "Fuck Religion, Get Money"

Bertrand Russell : "I believe that when I die I shall rot, and nothing of my ego will survive. I am not young, and I love life. But I should scorn to shiver with terror at the thought of annihilation. Happiness is none the less true happiness because it must come to an end, nor do thought and love lose their value because they are not everlasting. Many a man has borne himself proudly on the scaffold: surely the same pride should teach us to think truly about man's place in the world."

well for all who say religion caused CHAOS and WAR and KILLING and HINDERED advancements. i must say, good point.

BUT, THATS BECAUSE OF THE CHURCH. i put my faith in God, not the Church, i believe in God how i feel God wants me to have faith, not how someone else tells me how to do it. for example, do you have someone tell you how exactly to shoot a basketball? no you may pick up a few pointers, but develop your own way based on how you feel, not on how others tell you.

i believe faith is a self justification with a small background of knowledge to stem the mind's infinitive growth.

I think i have reached an epiphany lol

well for all who say religion caused CHAOS and WAR and KILLING and HINDERED advancements. i must say, good point.

BUT!!!! such a big BUT it required a FROSTED BUT!!

BUT, THATS BECAUSE OF THE CHURCH. i put my faith in God, not the Church, i believe in God how i feel God wants me to have faith, not how someone else tells me how to do it. for example, do you have someone tell you how exactly to shoot a basketball? no you may pick up a few pointers, but develop your own way based on how you feel, not on how others tell you.

i believe faith is a self justification with a small background of knowledge to stem the mind's infinitive growth.

1301418261874.jpg

1301418261874.jpg

why troll my epiphany bro, YOU WANT THAT BEEF?!? sike, level head, but what do you think of my rebuttal to whom i referred to?

BUT!!!! such a big BUT it required a FROSTED BUT!!