Sign in to follow this  
Balthazar

Level-Headed Religious Discussion

Gods are created by men, not the other way around. Humans roamed the earth countless years before christianity, or any other modern religion had ever occurred to anybody. Now someone tell me, when NOBODY ( i mean ABSOLUTELY NO ONE) believed in ONE god. (god...) where was he at? Chillin in heaven, waiting for what?

and Ace: thats not what i said at all. If a stranger told me something as important (or would be importance if true) as what is written in the bible, that a god exists and there is only one of them; i would ask for some proof of their claims, or physical evidence suggesting its solidity.

Gods are created by men, not the other way around. Humans roamed the earth countless years before christianity, or any other modern religion had ever occurred to anybody. Now someone tell me, when NOBODY ( i mean ABSOLUTELY NO ONE) believed in ONE god. (god...) where was he at? Chillin in heaven, waiting for what?

and Ace: thats not what i said at all. If a stranger told me something as important (or would be importance if true) as what is written in the bible, that a god exists and there is only one of them; i would ask for some proof of their claims, or physical evidence suggesting its solidity.

There is more proof that Jesus existed than Plato, but it is still "absurd" that he once walked the Earth.

There is evidence of religion back when there were cavemen. I find it hard to believe that evidence can survive longer than that.

@Balthazar

Again with the literal interpretations. Refer to my YOM post. Also if I made a clan in the image of Ego it would be similar, not the same. How are we similar to God? Feelings, free will, etc.

There is more proof that Jesus existed than Plato, but it is still "absurd" that he once walked the Earth.

That jesus walked the earth is not absurd, what is absurd is that he was the son of god.

The point is, there have been a fuckload of religions. who is to say one of them, or ANY of them for that matter, are accurate/true ? Not you, not anybody on this earth, and that is why I choose not to believe ANY of them.

your first point all drags to the chicken and egg theory. who came before what, what came before that, and so on and so on. you cant really mock religion and make it out to be stupid, religion is faith and belief in something. Faith is one of my favorite words because it shows the loyalty to something, rather than aimlessly wandering the earth. and say, if it werent for religion and a higher power belief, civilizations would have never existed. it was the grand gift/idea which created civilization to serve the will of the higher up. this faith drove people to build giant buildings and thus idea to build smaller ones ending up to make a central power over small subjects (civilization.)

That jesus walked the earth is not absurd, what is absurd is that he was the son of god.

The point is, there have been a fuckload of religions. who is to say one of them, or ANY of them for that matter, are accurate/true ? Not you, not anybody on this earth, and that is why I choose not to believe ANY of them.

The one that follows the teachings of the Bible, because unlike every other religious book, it has predicted hundreds of occurrences and events.

I am not a Christian because there are amazing facts that lead me to believe that it is the one "true" religion. I am a Christian because I know that it is right deep in my heart. It is called faith.

your first point all drags to the chicken and egg theory. who came before what, what came before that, and so on and so on. you cant really mock religion and make it out to be stupid, religion is faith and belief in something. Faith is one of my favorite words because it shows the loyalty to something, rather than aimlessly wandering the earth. and say, if it werent for religion and a higher power belief, civilizations would have never existed. it was the grand gift/idea which created civilization to serve the will of the higher up. this faith drove people to build giant buildings and thus idea to build smaller ones ending up to make a central power over small subjects (civilization.)

I call that blind luck. The way I see it, truly smart and advanced peoples would not need the belief in god to motivate them to do those things. Imagine, if people spent all the time they spent praying and going to church and doing other religion based tasks, researching cures and designing new inventions, the world could have been in the age of the Jetson's by now probably.

Edit: Ace:

"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking. It's nothing to brag about. And those who preach faith, and enable and elevate it are intellectual slaveholders, keeping mankind in a bondage to fantasy and nonsense that has spawned and justified so much lunacy and destruction. Religion is dangerous because it allows human beings who don't have all the answers to think that they do. Most people would think it's wonderful when someone says, "I'm willing, Lord! I'll do whatever you want me to do!" Except that since there are no gods actually talking to us, that void is filled in by people with their own corruptions and limitations and agendas. And anyone who tells you they know, they just know what happens when you die, I promise you, you don't. How can I be so sure? Because I don't know, and you do not possess mental powers that I do not. The only appropriate attitude for man to have about the big questions is not the arrogant certitude that is the hallmark of religion, but doubt. Doubt is humble, and that's what man needs to be, considering that human history is just a litany of getting shit dead wrong."

One of my favorite quotes. Take it how you would like. Not my exact stance but well. yeah.

I call that blind luck. The way I see it, truly smart and advanced peoples would not need the belief in god to motivate them to do those things. Imagine, if people spent all the time they spent praying and going to church and doing other religion based tasks, researching cures and designing new inventions, the world could have been in the age of the Jetson's by now probably.

But then again what drove these ideas? why would people bother to do so? people developed the natural hierarchy system becuz of the motivation of a god. this system drove the civilizations and order, oteher wise everyone would be communities and tribes. also religion sparked a whole lot of inventing and science way back when, so we wouldnt have what we have now scientifically if it werent for those who wondered is heaven was up above or how far the earth reaches, or is the earth a cube or not? discoveries like that were driven by the goal to reach something. people wanted to see into heaven or understand heaven, instead they reached the stars and such. what you are saying is if we dropped all religion rite now and started on science stuff, yes we would reach jetsons, but back then it was critical for the development of man to have religion and faith.

The one that follows the teachings of the Bible, because unlike every other religious book, it has predicted hundreds of occurrences and events.

I am not a Christian because there are amazing facts that lead me to believe that it is the one "true" religion. I am a Christian because I know that it is right deep in my heart. It is called faith.

That could also easily be called ignorance, but I will not try to make that argument. I hold no grudges to someone for believing what they want, I simply do not see the appeal of it. No god makes me the man I am; I do. And the only faith I need is in myself. The reason I make the arguments I make, is because there are thousands, more than likely millions, of people who would say there is only one god, and there is only one true religion, and that I need to follow it if I am to be saved. These are the people I direct my argument towards because they are idiots.

Edit: Ace:

"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking. It's nothing to brag about. And those who preach faith, and enable and elevate it are intellectual slaveholders, keeping mankind in a bondage to fantasy and nonsense that has spawned and justified so much lunacy and destruction. Religion is dangerous because it allows human beings who don't have all the answers to think that they do. Most people would think it's wonderful when someone says, "I'm willing, Lord! I'll do whatever you want me to do!" Except that since there are no gods actually talking to us, that void is filled in by people with their own corruptions and limitations and agendas. And anyone who tells you they know, they just know what happens when you die, I promise you, you don't. How can I be so sure? Because I don't know, and you do not possess mental powers that I do not. The only appropriate attitude for man to have about the big questions is not the arrogant certitude that is the hallmark of religion, but doubt. Doubt is humble, and that's what man needs to be, considering that human history is just a litany of getting shit dead wrong."

One of my favorite quotes. Take it how you would like. Not my exact stance but well. yeah.

The singularity theory. Humans are as evolved as they are ever going to be. The only progress we can make is to build. The best thing we can build is a machine, or a computer. The best computer we can build is an omnipotent form of AI that has full access to most of the things in the world that are reliant on technology and that can learn by itself. Eventually, this AI will become all-knowing and infinitely smarter than humans, becoming God. The purpose of human life is to create God, because it's the only progress we can possibly make. According to that theory of course, which I believe in.

But then again what drove these ideas? why would people bother to do so? people developed the natural hierarchy system becuz of the motivation of a god. this system drove the civilizations and order, oteher wise everyone would be communities and tribes. also religion sparked a whole lot of inventing and science way back when, so we wouldnt have what we have now scientifically if it werent for those who wondered is heaven was up above or how far the earth reaches, or is the earth a cube or not? discoveries like that were driven by the goal to reach something. people wanted to see into heaven or understand heaven, instead they reached the stars and such. what you are saying is if we dropped all religion rite now and started on science stuff, yes we would reach jetsons, but back then it was critical for the development of man to have religion and faith.

Technology thanks to religion? Remember that cool time called the Dark Ages. You know. Medieval times? The time ruled by religion? Oh yeah we totally got a lot of advancement then.

TechnologicalAdvancementGraph.jpg

That could also easily be called ignorance, but I will not try to make that argument. I hold no grudges to someone for believing what they want, I simply do not see the appeal of it. No god makes me the man I am; I do. And the only faith I need is in myself. The reason I make the arguments I make, is because there are thousands, more than likely millions, of people who would say there is only one god, and there is only one true religion, and that I need to follow it if I am to be saved. These are the people I direct my argument towards because they are idiots.

you may call it ignorance, but what more does one who doesnt believe know? i mean if u think about it, we both think 2+2=4, thats where you end. people with religion go beyond that, and begin believing in the higher up God. for the most part, everything begins with a thought/ belief. we as humans put faith in feul burning for cars, we dont know exactly ALL effects, we know some ,maybe most, but not ALL, so we trust and have faith in that fuel is somewhat safe the method we use it. right? so not really ignorance is that extra length of effort to go or extra stuff we have in our mind that you dont.

it may sound condescending and im not trying to be. just wanted to clear that up.

Guest Sandy Balls
The singularity theory. Humans are as evolved as they are ever going to be. The only progress we can make is to build. The best thing we can build is a machine, or a computer. The best computer we can build is an omnipotent form of AI that has full access to most of the things in the world that are reliant on technology and that can learn by itself. Eventually, this AI will become all-knowing and infinitely smarter than humans, becoming God. The purpose of human life is to create God, because it's the only progress we can possibly make. According to that theory of course, which I believe in.

Is this the church you go to?

http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/

Technology thanks to religion? Remember that cool time called the Dark Ages. You know. Medieval times? The time ruled by religion? Oh yeah we totally got a lot of advancement then.

TechnologicalAdvancementGraph.jpg

That's a very good point you just made.

EDIT: SANDY FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

Guest Sandy Balls

LMAO, that was the most I could contribute to this thread, now I'm out.

BUT, most religious people will say that there are faults in religion. the dark ages was one of them it was a crazy wahacked out dude who thought he knew what was up and ran rampant with power thus creating the dark ages. this can be said about hitler, for he was catholic and killing the jews for God. most religion isnt like this, its just stupid whacked out people create a bad name for religion b/c of their power they weild. if they had no power, the dark ages wouldnt have existed.

Yeah if you look at the trend that graph has, our technology would be far beyond anything we have right now if not for the dark ages ruled by christianity. Just look at it. LOOK AT IT.

I blame religion for the lack of teleporters and hovercars.

FFFFUUU

Yeah if you look at the trend that graph has, our technology would be far beyond anything we have right now if not for the dark ages ruled by christianity. Just look at it. LOOK AT IT.

I blame religion for the lack of teleporters and hovercars.

FFFFUUU

but then again, maybe it was the revival that made the tech how it is now. the dark ages led to the revival. so without dark ages. there would be no revival which is that HUGE influx of tech.

\

YAY 100 POSTS WOOOT

Did you not read the graph? Like the steady increase in technological advances would have just stopped anyways? It clearly shows that had there been no dark ages there would have been no need for a "revival" because the shit would have kept thriving as the constant trend for hundreds of years currently showed. l2read graphs.

Guest Sandy Balls
Did you not read the graph? Like the steady increase in technological advances would have just stopped anyways? It clearly shows that had there been no dark ages there would have been no need for a "revival" because the shit would have kept thriving as the constant trend for hundreds of years currently showed. l2read graphs.

No, he didnt, he just wanted his 100th post.

Guest Smokey
Did anyone here start out as one religion and change, or start out religious and become non-religious?

yeah. i used to believe how jesus was the son of god and all that shit until i realized how fucking retarded that story is. and change your sig, that guy is an annoying faggot who isnt funny.