Sign in to follow this  
Balthazar

Level-Headed Religious Discussion

if there is a outer *god* wouldn't he shot him self by now.

wouldn't he shot him self by now.

shot him self by now.
shot him self
shot.

1294700933723.png

1295127194354.jpg

In my opnion i believe in Greek mythology :3 but i have no logic. I don't believe in god but i believe there is a outer person out there that created man.......and woman>.>... but anyways if there is a outer *god* wouldn't he shot him self by now.

I think this just about sums it up! Good discussion guys, I'm out. lol!

Christians did not believe in evolution for a long time. Once it was scientifically proven, "intelligent design" came about. It is compatible now, but it once wasn't. Every new discovery that is fact, yet incompatible with a religion, will be integrated into that religion or the religion will fail.

Whether or not a Christian chooses to accept evolution does not change its compatibility with theism. Evolution has never disproved the existence of a God. You can't really blame religions for incorporating newer, modern ideas into their existing beliefs if they do not contradict one another either.

Whether or not a Christian chooses to accept evolution does not change its compatibility with theism. Evolution has never disproved the existence of a God. You can't really blame religions for incorporating newer, modern ideas into their existing beliefs if they do not contradict one another either.

Everything is compatible with theism. Even things we don't understand yet. Once we do understand them, it is up to Christians to recognize them as God's work.

Everything is compatible with theism. Even things we don't understand yet. Once we do understand them, it is up to Christians to recognize them as God's work.

Well you obviously missed my point entirely. Evolution does not disprove God because no part of our current evolutionary theory states that mutations occur random in the sense that they are unguided.

And no, everything isn't compatible with theism. If we were somehow able to prove naturalism then this would obviously not be compatible with theism.

Sure, evolution may be compatible with some form of theism, but it's not compatible with Christianity. One claims a certain process of events, the other claims something totally different. Nothing in the bible gives the impression it's meant at all to be interpreted as anything short of literal. To believe the evidence for evolution is to disbelieve the bible, and as a result, is not Christianity.

@Balthazar

Man is not born to be a good or evil person - he is made one or the other by his life experiences and society around him-John Locke

Sure, evolution may be compatible with some form of theism, but it's not compatible with Christianity. One claims a certain process of events, the other claims something totally different. Nothing in the bible gives the impression it's meant at all to be interpreted as anything short of literal. To believe the evidence for evolution is to disbelieve the bible, and as a result, is not Christianity.

Darwinism is the idea that animals adapt in order to survive in their enviorment. If you're referring to the book of Genesis and that the world couldn't be created in seven days then you are wrong. The bible has been translated from the Hebrew language to English in order for us to read. However in the process of translating you might change the meaning of a word or sentence.

For instance,

YOM in Hebrew was translated to the English word 'day', a day as we know it is a 24 hour period. However, the Hebrew word YOM has never stood for a 24 hour period of time. YOM just means a period of time without definition

You cannot take Genesis literally due to this.

Well you obviously missed my point entirely. Evolution does not disprove God because no part of our current evolutionary theory states that mutations occur random in the sense that they are unguided.

And no, everything isn't compatible with theism. If we were somehow able to prove naturalism then this would obviously not be compatible with theism.

I never said evolution disproved it. Show me where you think I did.

What's weird is that you can argue that God is actually 'making' these so-called-randomized mutations to evolve a species.

What's weird is that you can argue that God is actually 'making' these so-called-randomized mutations to evolve a species.

Whats weirder is that a bunch of people take the word of a man who lived thousands of years ago as true.

It's a good thing I don't then.

Whats even weirder is the idea that life sprang from nothing. Or that existence evolved from inanimate objects. That's pretty weird.

Whats weirder is that a bunch of people take the word of a man who lived thousands of years ago as true.

Yup, so basically everything that Plato and Aristotle said was false because they lived a long time ago... makes soooo much sense.

Evolution is compatible with Christianity. I would say most well educated Christians (aka not bible humping fanatics) don't take Genesis literally anyways. Naturalism AND evolution deny the existence of a God however.

I never said evolution disproved it. Show me where you think I did.

People will never let go of religion. Every time science can disprove a God, people will adapt just like they did with evolution and "intelligent design."

Probably just read what you said wrong, but seeing as how science has never disproved God I took it to mean as if you thought evolution was a case of this.

Empire:

"What's weird is that you can argue that God is actually 'making' these so-called-randomized mutations to evolve a species"

This honestly isn't that weird of an idea. God is a creator. God is further refining his creations as he views how they respond to certain environments.

And by the way, I'm not Christian/theist, I'm just pointing out some misconceptions and such.

Evolution is compatible with Christianity. I would say most well educated Christians (aka not bible humping fanatics) don't take Genesis literally anyways. Naturalism AND evolution deny the existence of a God however.

People will never let go of religion. Every time science can disprove a God, people will adapt just like they did with evolution and "intelligent design."

Probably just read what you said wrong, but seeing as how science has never disproved God I took it to mean as if you thought evolution was a case of this.

Empire:

"What's weird is that you can argue that God is actually 'making' these so-called-randomized mutations to evolve a species"

This honestly isn't that weird of an idea. God is a creator. God is further refining his creations as he views how they respond to certain environments.

And by the way, I'm not Christian/theist, I'm just pointing out some misconceptions and such.

In hindsight though, But to the religious people, who say god is adjusting us now, if god was a perfect specimen and created us in his image, but would need to adapt us over the years, that would mean:

He is flawed and not perfect for having to adjust a mirror image of himself, therefore not a god.

Empire:

Yeah, I was saying that science doesn't have the potential to disprove theism because theism implies that science was created by a greater power who doesn't afraid of humans and their discoveries.

In hindsight though, But to the religious people, who say god is adjusting us now, if god was a perfect specimen and created us in his image, but would need to adapt us over the years, that would mean:

He is flawed and not perfect for having to adjust a mirror image of himself, therefore not a god.

He doesn't adjust us, we adjust ourselves.

That's a good point. I'm currently in a class about atheism vs. theism and it deals with arguments for/against God outside of Scripture. I should ask the theist professor what his thoughts are on this because he is Catholic, but he must not take the Bible literally. The Bible is such a hassle. So vague.

But if we were created in a perfect man's image why would he allow us to change?

Why not? Just because we were made in his image doesn't mean we are supposed to be perfect.