Sign in to follow this  
MagicRatt

Longboards. Dicuss?

About five days ago I picked up my very first board ever. (Including skateboards).

I went with the top of the line board for free riding. I do not regret dropping the money on this at all.

http://www.loadedboards.com/boards/dervish.html

Flex 2 on the board. Went with Randall 180 trucks, Orangatang InHeat wheels (75mm with 80a durometer), with standard ABEC-5 rated bearings.

It only took a day or two to get decent balance on the board and I am fucking loving it. Been riding in the parking deck at my school, in my neighborhood, and a park that is close by. It rides like glass and picks up speed easily. I have bombed down a few hills, but nothing crazy yet. Top speed so far is probably only around 15-20 mph. My balance isn't good enough yet for me to confidently bomb down anything better. Anyone else longboard?

I have a decent one for riding around town now that glass prices are so high, lucky for me my town is pretty fast, so my friends and I just cruise.

I have a decent one for riding around town now that glass prices are so high, lucky for me my town is pretty fast, so my friends and I just cruise.

Speed the the steepest hill in San Francisco, fuck yeah.

I've got a never summer eclipse. love it. Just started last year. I got raped my first bomb in my neighborhod. I got speed wobbles and fell forward on my hands and hip. got 3 deep scars from it. Biggest thing i learned for longboarding is put a good amount of weight on your front foot and kinda lean into it. also breaking, thats very important to know first. T_T i got on a forum for it so i can meet ppl for it and do local event. apparently there is some group of like 30-50 guys of all ages that hits parking garages a couple nights a week. ( the ones with the spiral ramps are best for sliding forever :D) check out this site. http://silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/ look in the section that is based on location. you can find people to ride with, after all this is kinda a group thing.

tl;dr Fuck you, start reading

PS: heres the video that introduced me to longboarding and got me to start the very next day.

Edit: invest in a helmet, pads, and some sliding gloves ( you can make your own if you want). with these i can now carve as hard as i want without the fear of falling. plus sliding is a lot of fun with the gloves.

Yeah I have the pads, helmet, and slide gloves, but have only been longboarding for like a week now. I have seen that video a lot too, but from what I hear original boards don't hold up that great. I have been letting some friends try it out and everyone loves it.

It is one of those things that you just have to go out and try otherwise you won't know what you are missing. I had several friends who thought it was meh, but then got on it and now want their own boards.

Yeah I have the pads, helmet, and slide gloves, but have only been longboarding for like a week now. I have seen that video a lot too, but from what I hear original boards don't hold up that great. I have been letting some friends try it out and everyone loves it.

It is one of those things that you just have to go out and try otherwise you won't know what you are missing. I had several friends who thought it was meh, but then got on it and now want their own boards.

yeah original longboards i heard weren't that great but they do make cool videos! I got this:

board-eclipse.jpg

i love pintails. such a good medium for doing anything on it really.