Sign in to follow this  
Ace

A Film That I Made

Guest J_MaFia
Good movie.

I thought it was gonna be a whore movie for a second tho lol.

I agree :P

Guest Tasty

I'm a critic.

Cons:

-Angles could be better

-More face shots, it's not pleasing to see someone faced away from the camera talking

-Could have been rendered a bit smoother

-The whole film in black and white? Really?

-6:02-6:21... I'm not sure why the camera is sloppily being faced towards the ground in the dark and then plummets to a sink

-12:00 would have been an amazing moment for some special effects

-Do you own a tripod?

-In several scenes there is WAY too much lighting (i.e 2:30ish)

Pros:

-The mirror bi-person effect was really professional

-The story line was flawless in my opinion, didn't get off subject

-The guy in the glasses is a great actor

-The length of the film is perfect. Not too long or too short.

I did enjoy it though. Wouldn't mind seeing some more man.

I'm a critic.

Cons:

-Angles could be better

-More face shots, it's not pleasing to see someone faced away from the camera talking

-Could have been rendered a bit smoother

-The whole film in black and white? Really?

-6:02-6:21... I'm not sure why the camera is sloppily being faced towards the ground in the dark and then plummets to a sink

-12:00 would have been an amazing moment for some special effects

-Do you own a tripod?

-In several scenes there is WAY too much lighting (i.e 2:30ish)

Pros:

-The mirror bi-person effect was really professional

-The story line was flawless in my opinion, didn't get off subject

-The guy in the glasses is a great actor

-The length of the film is perfect. Not too long or too short.

I did enjoy it though. Wouldn't mind seeing some more man.

Don't think that I am a dick for responding to your criticism, i just want people to understand what I was trying to do with this film.

I didn't expect a lot of people to catch onto this, but the color in this movie actually means something. Yes, this is in black in white... not enough movies are today. But there is a reason for this. Every black and white scene in this film is through the eyes of Jaden... it is what is being perceived by his mind. Every color scene/shot is what is actually happening, which is why the dead body in the closet is in color... because he actually killed her, but Jaden isn't willing to admit this. Also there is one color shot where it shows his actual reflection, and then fades to black and white, revealing his conscience. If you pay close attention, you will catch onto this... but even if you don't, the plot is strong enough to make up for it... It's just a technique that I thought up while writing the script with my friend.

I agree with the angles/face shots thing though. We only had about 6 hours to shoot, and this was my first film... so everything was a bit rushed.

And the shot at 6:02 is a POV of him walking to the bathroom, it was a required shot for this film project but I still would have added it regardless. I could have used a steady cam and done some amazing camera work with this shot, but it makes it less real imo.

Yes I have a tripod and I used it several times, but some shots just felt better without using it.

And about the lighting, there was no lighting at all... everything was adjusted with exposure. The first scene is a dream, so I wanted it super-exposed.\

And can you be more specific about the angles?

Guest Tasty
Don't think that I am a dick for responding to your criticism, i just want people to understand what I was trying to do with this film.

I didn't expect a lot of people to catch onto this, but the color in this movie actually means something. Yes, this is in black in white... not enough movies are today. But there is a reason for this. Every black and white scene in this film is through the eyes of Jaden... it is what is being perceived by his mind. Every color scene/shot is what is actually happening, which is why the dead body in the closet is in color... because he actually killed her, but Jaden isn't willing to admit this. Also there is one color shot where it shows his actual reflection, and then fades to black and white, revealing his conscience. If you pay close attention, you will catch onto this... but even if you don't, the plot is strong enough to make up for it... It's just a technique that I thought up while writing the script with my friend.

I agree with the angles/face shots thing though. We only had about 6 hours to shoot, and this was my first film... so everything was a bit rushed.

And the shot at 6:02 is a POV of him walking to the bathroom, it was a required shot for this film project but I still would have added it regardless. I could have used a steady cam and done some amazing camera work with this shot, but it makes it less real imo.

Yes I have a tripod and I used it several times, but some shots just felt better without using it.

And about the lighting, there was no lighting at all... everything was adjusted with exposure. The first scene is a dream, so I wanted it super-exposed.\

And can you be more specific about the angles?

Well, there's too much exposure then. It looked like the guy had no ears and it was hard to fully grasp with that happening. (It draws attention away)

As for the angle, they can be MUCH more creative. Rather than having a consistent head level angle w/o a tripod, you can mount the tripod onto a slightly higher surface and get a cool aerial view. Or, if it's a seen such as him entering a room by himself, you can have the camera on the ground showing only up to his thighs as he enters the room. I'm just giving what I was taught about film making in high school.

And for the POV... If it is supposed to be what he sees, why is he looking down the whole time and then throws his face in the sink? Haha. I just found that funny.

But yeah, I've produced a couple of high school films myself. So just don't take my critique so seriously.

Well, there's too much exposure then. It looked like the guy had no ears and it was hard to fully grasp with that happening. (It draws attention away)

As for the angle, they can be MUCH more creative. Rather than having a consistent head level angle w/o a tripod, you can mount the tripod onto a slightly higher surface and get a cool aerial view. Or, if it's a seen such as him entering a room by himself, you can have the camera on the ground showing only up to his thighs as he enters the room. I'm just giving what I was taught about film making in high school.

And for the POV... If it is supposed to be what he sees, why is he looking down the whole time and then throws his face in the sink? Haha. I just found that funny.

But yeah, I've produced a couple of high school films myself. So just don't take my critique so seriously.

It's a dream, nuff said. If you can't understand what is happening because the exposure is high... there is something wrong lol. It is supposed to draw attention, because it is a dream.

And bro, next time you wake up and forget who you are, you try walking normally to the bathroom. A lot of people look down when they walk, especially when they feel like shit.

And about the angles, I thought that I had a lot of creative shots. But film making isn't about having creative shots in every scene... I respect your opinion, but I disagree.

Guest Tasty
It's a dream, nuff said. If you can't understand what is happening because the exposure is high... there is something wrong lol. It is supposed to draw attention, because it is a dream.

And bro, next time you wake up and forget who you are, you try walking normally to the bathroom. A lot of people look down when they walk, especially when they feel like shit.

And about the angles, I thought that I had a lot of creative shots. But film making isn't about having creative shots in every scene... I respect your opinion, but I disagree.

Well when I wake up I dont have my head on my bellybutton looking down and magically appear in a bathroom. >_>

I think logically! But anyways ON TOPIC. I REALLY enjoyed your film.

Well when I wake up I dont have my head on my bellybutton looking down and magically appear in a bathroom. >_>

I think logically! But anyways ON TOPIC. I REALLY enjoyed your film.

wait what? he was looking where he was walking because he was shit-faced. and he didn't magically appear in the bathroom, I faded that in.

And thank you lol

I thought may have had schizophrenia, that the black and white parts were his own messed up mind, and the colored parts were his "other half" who was extremely violent, as the finding of the knife and dead body was in color.

But, anyway, I loved the film bro. I normally skip every few seconds on a youtube video, especially if it bores me, but I didn't even think of it with this.

Good luck with the film competition.

I thought may have had schizophrenia, that the black and white parts were his own messed up mind, and the colored parts were his "other half" who was extremely violent, as the finding of the knife and dead body was in color.

But, anyway, I loved the film bro. I normally skip every few seconds on a youtube video, especially if it bores me, but I didn't even think of it with this.

Good luck with the film competition.

Thanks dude :)

Ya this movie is really meant to make you think. But everything is up for interpretation... that goes for almost all songs and films. Even though there are concrete answers to this film, I want people to apply it however they want. So basically if you had to think while watching this, you win.

Very good; however, the beginning didn't contrast well between his shirt and the wall. Looked like a floating head to me. Other than that best film i've seen today.

Guest Tasty
Very good; however, the beginning didn't contrast well between his shirt and the wall. Looked like a floating head to me. Other than that best film i've seen today.

Lol. But you just woke up.

Amazing. the music flowed perfectly with some parts (especially the end) and the whole concept of the color switching back as he finds out what he did made it such a smart idea. It was really good and hope you win, you did a very nice job.