Sign in to follow this  
Tansen

Is my sense of justice antiquated?

So long story short my business contact had a from high school friend who refused to pay a 15 dollar entry fee, which then my contact swayed me into handing over my camera case to him, which I thought ok since he can't hurt it while in the pelican case. To my surprise he was "extensively" searched and ended up dropping my camera.

I spoke with the repair shop today and they said that the image stabilizer unit is damaged and they aren't able to salvage it, so thats about a 600 dollar unit part alone labor is yet to be determined.

Would it be wrong of me to pursue this dumbass because the moment I met him he crossed me as a jobless hippie which I have pegged correctly, however he's a long time friend of this guy who has gotten me employed and defended me at work. I have the feeling he may dig out of his own pocket or stand by his friend in his refusal to pay.

I'm not entirely ruthless I may just ask for atleast 300 or so.

I think it depends on how good your "relationship" is. If it's a great relationship, Then I would honestly think about telling him.

If not, then I'm not sure what you could do, but I believe you should do something.

Its a pretty good business relation I have never backed on my word or let him down not even in a minor instant. Plus I always came through for him no matter if I had a week or a 2 hr notice from a last minute cancellation. But I know how I'd feel with a good long time friend not necessarily high school. But he does know this guy for a lot longer than I do and I feel that it may put him in a difficult position because of who took precedence over the other

So long story short my business contact

Business is business. From the sparse details I have, he's legally liable at least in part. He should want to pay if his moral compass is aligned correctly.

Business is business. From the sparse details I have, he's legally liable at least in part. He should want to pay if his moral compass is aligned correctly.

It is 2011... moral was just a word that replaced honor.

So, did you already ask for reparations from the one who broke your camera? Or have you not approached him yet? Regardless, he should pay you back for it, as he was the one who erred. He could possibly say you were liable because you gave him the camera without knowing anything about him, but that's tripe and anyone should no that.

It's not a matter that I'd persue in a court. First, try discussing solutions with him. If that doesn't work, try to have your friend mediate the situation and come to an acceptable agreement. If he still doesn't accept, try to get an arbiter to come to a conclusion for you. Remember, the court system should be the last resort in situations where damages are < $1000.

Talk to the guy who broke it and keep it as civil as possible, should you not get anywhere talk to your friend and hope he can solve the issue. Should that fail you need to consider how important his friendship is to you. Is it worth getting $600, but losing your friend as a result.

It was a request by my business friend to hand him the case (by the way a pelican case is a solid case you can drive over it even throw it off a cliff which is how they test the durability of the case) I had no idea they would presume I'd be hiding a bomb or a double briefcase size load of crack or weed. He's netted me more gigs this year than my entire combined time of browsing craigslist. However my friend told me to keep his posted on the full amount after the completed fix. I know this guy isn't going to muster the money and I believe my business friend knows that as well so I have a feeling he might advance me the cash in his name. I'm actually wondering if I could write this off on a part of my taxes as a business expense.

basically I would put it this way:

Get what you can, ask if he is willing to pay for part of the repairs.

But consider how much Business and revenue he is getting for you.

Will he be able to get you that 600 plus more in Business, or will it be better to just go after the money?

Think about the long term is what I'm trying to get at.

Also I think it's reasonable if he even paid 1/2, it's better than nothing, and 300 really isn't that much..... don't know what business he gets y ou though, or how the turn arounds are on what you do.

So this really is kinda broad......

This. Like Dojima said, business is business. If he reacts sourly to you asking him to pay - try to justify to him why he should pay. If he has any decency like a regular businessman, he should pay.