Sign in to follow this  
adam :)

Laws and sentencing

I'm just curios about the laws around the world and hoping that anyone who has any idea of any of the following questions help me out and leave a few answers/comments towards this thread.

So I'm in University now and currently I've got myself in a messed up situation.

I've got a 8000 word essay to write about the different laws and different sentencing for each crime in different country's, I'll explain this more simpler, basically just say you live where I am at the moment(Australia), for a simple Robbery In Company charge or Robbery Charge without any assault in the actual crime, you can get probably a slap on the wrist, couple fines or maybe if you have a extensive record the maximum sentencing for a suspect that has had 3+ charges on his record is about 6 months maximum, if the suspect has more than 1+ Charge of the SAME crime ( In Australia robbery/armed robbery is classified as the same crime ) he could face up to 8 years imprisonment.

However, for a Robbery In Company charge that includes assaulting the victim or any sort of violence involved, instead of getting separate charges you are still charged for robbery in company, BUT the catch is that I've noticed is that with any violence the sentence can go UP TO 21 years imprisonment, does not matter if you have no criminal record or not.

( The examples are not about juveniles but about adults 18+ )

So basically, I'm gonna hope that the community will be serious about this topic and explain their thoughts on the subject of their countries laws, basically all I want to know is what you think about your countries laws and what is the maximum sentence for robbery in company, with or without violence in it.

O/T for a second, the reason I was given this essay is because about 2 years ago I got arrested for Robbery, which later got put up to Robbery In Company, my trial is still going on ( Yes I know its been ages ), but I am expecting it to end within the next 3 months with a sentence. Since I do have a extensive record, I may be facing up to 8 years inside, but it does not bother me. However, considering all my past crimes have been about smaller things like drugs etc etc when I was 14 years old( I'm 21 now long time ago ) the laws still go against me getting a smaller sentencing.

Anyways, read this bit.

I only have one request from the community, be nice with honest answers, I don't mind if you actually have to troll anything I do or say in this thread, I take nothing personally, but I am not here for trolls, I am here for straight forward answers from people in this community who want to have their say in this topic.

And yes, I know its very long, but I've been really interested in finding out what the community thinks of their laws and punishments of various crimes in different countries.

Kind of an open-ended question. Sometimes the punishment fits the crime, other times it doesn't. Even among certain crimes, the punishment may or may not fit it based on the exact circumstances. Generally speaking, however, I don't have many problems with the justice system in the US.