Sign in to follow this  
Pinoy

Best Wireless Security

Is WPA or WPA2 stronger than WEP?

Authentication: Open system vs. Shared key?

Keytype: Hex vs. ASCII?

1. It goes like this from strongest to weakest:

-WPA2

-WPA

-WEP

-None

I'd use WEP, since WPA for me has a tendency to block things. WEP is overall good. It's not like there's hackers out there just waiting to get you.

2. Use a shared key. Make sure to always put a password that only you can remember.

3. Hex.

Q: What wireless are you using? B, G, or N?

1. It goes like this from strongest to weakest:

-WPA2

-WPA

-WEP

-None

I'd use WEP, since WPA for me has a tendency to block things. WEP is overall good. It's not like there's hackers out there just waiting to get you.

2. Use a shared key. Make sure to always put a password that only you can remember.

3. Hex.

Q: What wireless are you using? B, G, or N?

Thanks for the information. I'm currently on WEP/Shared Key/Hex.

I'm using G.

The thing about wireless, is that if someone wants to get in, its not that hard. All you need are a few simple programs and you are surfing wireless for free or looking at files, what the real question is: how hard do you want to make it for the person to get into your network? Roid's scale is correct, but you really dont have much to worry about, unless you have nosy computer savvy neighbors within wireless range or something WEP is probably fine, but i can tell you that WPA is a big step up in terms of how much of a pain in the ass it is to get into your network. I dont even know how to get into WPA2, so yea..

also, they taught me how to hack wireless in college(among other illegal computer skills) :D

Just remember that if you have any legacy clients on your network they will not be able to access a WPA2 encrypted network. If you are the only one on it and your nic card is compatible with WPA2 encryption then go for it. Also, I guess with the newer encryption you will get faster speeds on your wireless? Not sure if this is true. However, if you are going for overall compatibility, you are going to have to sacrifice some security and stick with WPA or WEP encryption.

I'll step it up to WPA, and try that out. WPA2 sounds like pain in the ass, and I do have nosy neighbors trying to steal my internet.

Plus, I want overall compatibility, I don't want to be pulling my hair out just to get my PSP online, lol.

maybe but do you know anyone that has successfully cracked WPA2? Besides, they cant access my router wirelessly. You need to be connected via ethernet to change any settings.