Sign in to follow this  
Zachmanman

Calling out people of the Christian faith

Guest Fohacidal
You don't exist after death. All modern science points towards the fact that when your brain stops functioning, your consciousness no longer exists. As for your Pascal's wager argument...

You wont like a million internet points with your last post and just lost them all by posting this video...

kids never learn damnit

You wont like a million internet points with your last post and just lost them all by posting this video...

kids never learn damnit

That video was fantastic, it explains things rather well even if the music was a little nauseating.

DP you're acting as if religion is factual, when it's all unproven. We're just debating our beliefs here.

Belief in anything should be based on facts. If its not, I have nothing to say to the believer except: "Bro you dun fucked up".

Belief in anything should be based on facts. If its not, I have nothing to say to the believer except: "Bro you dun fucked up".

Keyword: should

It isn't though, that's just the way it is.

Guest Fohacidal
That video was fantastic, it explains things rather well even if the music was a little nauseating.

Not really, its just another tryhard video that tries to convince the wrong people of shit nobody cares about

Not really, its just another tryhard video that tries to convince the wrong people of shit nobody cares about

But it's correct, the comparisons and points it makes are logically and philosophically solid.

That's all it needs to be.

If someone isn't wiling to invest six minutes of their life to analyze one of the strongest reasons for their view on reality, then the fault is theirs, not the video's.

If you replace the word video with refutation that's essentially what I posted in response to Xannon.

Guest Fohacidal
But it's correct, the comparisons and points it makes are logically and philosophically solid.

That's all it needs to be.

If someone isn't wiling to invest six minutes of their life to analyze one of the strongest reasons for their view on reality, then the fault is theirs, not the video's.

I really disagree, but im playing l4d2 and I cant care enough to explain why so whatever. Honestly who cares, OH DEAR GOD THAT PERSON BELIEVES IN HEAVEN I MUST CONVINCE HIM HE IS WRONG OR MY PENIS WILL FALL OFF

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

If you replace the word video with refutation that's essentially what I posted in response to Xannon.

Also what you posted came out much better. That video was the equivalent of an overly verbose douchey college kid essay.

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't believe in God. Where do you guys suppose you go after you die? Just into the abyss? Hell? And if you say you don't care if you go to Hell, you're sadly mistaken. It's purely beneficial to believe, otherwise you're screwed. Now I'm not trying to preach here, I'm just perplexed.

Until I hear some testimony from someone's who's been to either, I don't have much to worry about. Let Karma handle the rest: Just do good and be good and you probably won't get screwed in the long run.

Honestly who cares, OH DEAR GOD THAT PERSON BELIEVES IN HEAVEN I MUST CONVINCE HIM HE IS WRONG OR MY PENIS WILL FALL OFF.

I'm not familiar with a religion that cuts people's dicks off, but it would be nice to still have these:

twin_towers_alliance.jpg

Oh, and unrestricted abilities to research stemcells to cure disease.

Sadly, instead we get millions of women who lives as second rate citizens, gays and lesbians who are verbally condemned and physically attacked for their orientation, kids who are molested by sexually repressed priests, and families who teach their children to ostracize other people because they're different as their good book says to do.

I could go on with the thousands of ways, small to catastrophic, that blind belief in a being that punishes or rewards people arbitrarily for certain actions is destructive to humanity, but because I don't get a CSS:S achievement for pointing out all of them, I'll stop there.

So you can keep your teenage mentality of being cool because you're so nonchalant about it and don't care, but I bet even based on your own standards of what's important in the world, it does matter.

Guest Fohacidal
I'm not familiar with a religion that cuts people's dicks off, but it would be nice to still have these:

twin_towers_alliance.jpg

Sadly, instead we get millions of women who lives as second rate citizens, gays and lesbians who are verbally condemned and physically attacked for their orientation, kids who are molested by sexually repressed priests, and families who teach their children to ostracize other people because they're different as their good book says to do.

I could go on with the thousands of ways, small to catastrophic, that blind belief in a being that punishes or rewards people arbitrarily for certain actions is destructive to humanity, but because I don't get a CSS:S achievement for pointing out all of them, I'll stop there.

So you can keep your teenage mentality of being cool because you're so nonchalant about it and don't care, but I bet even based on your own standards of what's important in the world, it does matter.

Thats different though, first off I wont even go where you went with 9/11 as that just reveals a certain level of ignorance on your part. Second everything else you bring up isnt a result of faith, its a result of of institutions that take advantage of their power, money and followers to reach their own ends. I mean heck, you seem to only cite Christianity as well as a source for all the examples following your twin towers picture so how far your obvious "adult" level intelligence goes I have no clue. I can tell you one thing though with my "teenage" intuition and that is that I know who the real enemies are here, I dont go pointing fingers to people just because they believe in god or others because they believe in a different kind of god.

Anyway I mention all this because your arguements are all targeted towards theists in this thread and people who believe in an afterlife. You accuse people with such benign thoughts with the acts of people who use religion as a means to an end or who happen to be over publicized because of their religion. Why did you chose to mention priest molestation when a much bigger threat exists in the middle east where there is a sort of clandestine business in selling services to men in the form of young boys, even to POWERFUL middle eastern men. Or the sex slave rings that exist globally that get young girls and boys into prostitution so early there is no hope for counseling later on in life.

I could go on and on about why you are wrong but really it doesnt matter, youll probably shrug me off as some close minded bible thumping conservative or something when in reality im far from that stereotype

We also get millions of Christian help organizations which provide aid worldwide. You can't define christains by the worst of us, it's just unfair. And none of these bad things are mentioned in the bible, or at least not directly referred to. All of the things that you listed are the product of humans making inferances about something which the bible didn't cover or using religion as an excuse to get something.

Guest Fohacidal
We also get millions of Christian help organizations which provide aid worldwide. You can't define christains by the worst of us, it's just unfair. And none of these bad things are mentioned in the bible, or at least not directly referred to. All of the things that you listed are the product of humans making inferances about something which the bible didn't cover or using religion as an excuse to get something.

Humans are capable of great evil just as as much as they are capable of acts of great kindness

Thats different though, first off I wont even go where you went with 9/11 as that just reveals a certain level of ignorance on your part. Second everything else you bring up isnt a result of faith, its a result of of institutions that take advantage of their power, money and followers to reach their own ends. I mean heck, you seem to only cite Christianity as well as a source for all the examples following your twin towers picture so how far your obvious "adult" level intelligence goes I have no clue. I can tell you one thing though with my "teenage" intuition and that is that I know who the real enemies are here, I dont go pointing fingers to people just because they believe in god or others because they believe in a different kind of god.

Anyway I mention all this because your arguements are all targeted towards theists in this thread and people who believe in an afterlife. You accuse people with such benign thoughts with the acts of people who use religion as a means to an end or who happen to be over publicized because of their religion. Why did you chose to mention priest molestation when a much bigger threat exists in the middle east where there is a sort of clandestine business in selling services to men in the form of young boys, even to POWERFUL middle eastern men. Or the sex slave rings that exist globally that get young girls and boys into prostitution so early there is no hope for counseling later on in life.

I could go on and on about why you are wrong but really it doesnt matter, youll probably shrug me off as some close minded bible thumping conservative or something when in reality im far from that stereotype

Everything I listed can be traced back to being caused by faith, and most are not exclusive to Christianity. Things like anti-gay violence, subjugating women, and and blind prejudice apply much more strongly to Islam than they do Christianity. It is you who is being ignorant by only applying your common associations that you find typical to the things I listed. However, there is nothing ignorant about pointing out the events of 9/11 are due to an extreme belief in the dictations of an ancient holy book. And as I said, that list was not defined as the most significant offenses nor was it all-encompassing, so don't pretend like I was trying to pass it off as such. So many problems exist in this world that have nothing to do with religion, I won't deny it. But basing moral values on what we can scientifically analyze as right or wrong based on the undeniable presence of human suffering is better than a multitude of varying hypocritical systems that mostly have no basis in accepting human nature or encouraging good will toward others. Get rid of faith, and you gain a much more unified and justified worldview of right and wrong.

Faith or religion is not required for acts of charity or kindness. Secular charities exist, and they do so without using it as a front to spread any dogma or cause and conversions. As a majority, Christians and Muslims aren't evil, but even the moderate encourage dogma that is damaging to the rest of us, and the existence of a moderate majority allows for the existence of an extremist minority. And yes, many of the bad things I listed are contained in the Bible and especially the Quran. The calls to violence against any "infidels" are numerous in the Quran, as well as in the old testament of the bible. While the new testament is completely contradictory to the first in its much more peaceful message, Jesus stated he was on Earth to hold true all that has come before him, not to over-ride it (yes, a rough translation), and still, complete acceptance of people of other religions without any conflict at all isn't encouraged. Women are still inferior to men in the eyes of God, and gays are still hell-bound sinners. This stuff is in the Bible, but don't take my word for it. Take the good lord's instead. As a whole, modern Christians are much better people than the bible calls them to be, not worse.

Think about it though. Who presses the most against gay rights? The church. What do you have to be to run for office? A Christian (most of the time). What group contributes heavily on the influence of family/people? The church.

I get they do good stuff, but unless you're starving or straight, they kinda have an agenda going nationwide of their own against certain rights people should have, but they just seem disgusted over doing cause it's not the "correct way" that is apparently needed.

No, that's called knowledge. A belief is a vague idea in which confidence is placed. The very concept of belief in God relies on not knowing God exists (i.e., not having "proof" of the existence of God).

Fuck you guys, I'll go read through the last 10 pages and throw my hat into the ring sometime tomorrow.

No, that's called knowledge. A belief is a vague idea in which confidence is placed.

Nope, that's faith. Belief could be in anything that's believed, regardless of how much or how little evidence there is for it. At least, that's the first definition. The second is more along the lines of what you said.

Fucking words.

Guest Fohacidal
Everything I listed can be traced back to being caused by faith, and most are not exclusive to Christianity. Things like anti-gay violence, subjugating women, and and blind prejudice apply much more strongly to Islam than they do Christianity. It is you who is being ignorant by only applying your common associations that you find typical to the things I listed. However, there is nothing ignorant about pointing out the events of 9/11 are due to an extreme belief in the dictations of an ancient holy book. And as I said, that list was not defined as the most significant offenses nor was it all-encompassing, so don't pretend like I was trying to pass it off as such. So many problems exist in this world that have nothing to do with religion, I won't deny it. But basing moral values on what we can scientifically analyze as right or wrong based on the undeniable presence of human suffering is better than a multitude of varying hypocritical systems that mostly have no basis in accepting human nature or encouraging good will toward others. Get rid of faith, and you gain a much more unified and justified worldview of right and wrong.

Faith or religion is not required for acts of charity or kindness. Secular charities exist, and they do so without using it as a front to spread any dogma or cause and conversions. As a majority, Christians and Muslims aren't evil, but even the moderate encourage dogma that is damaging to the rest of us, and the existence of a moderate majority allows for the existence of an extremist minority. And yes, many of the bad things I listed are contained in the Bible and especially the Quran. The calls to violence against any "infidels" are numerous in the Quran, as well as in the old testament of the bible. While the new testament is completely contradictory to the first in its much more peaceful message, Jesus stated he was on Earth to hold true all that has come before him, not to over-ride it (yes, a rough translation), and still, complete acceptance of people of other religions without any conflict at all isn't encouraged. Women are still inferior to men in the eyes of God, and gays are still hell-bound sinners. This stuff is in the Bible, but don't take my word for it. Take the good lord's instead. As a whole, modern Christians are much better people than the bible calls them to be, not worse.

You are really funny if you think 9/11 was religiously motivated. What happened that day is about as political and politics get, religion is just a scapegoat, radical muslims were a good target and happen to be the cause of a lot of problems in the middle east completely disregarding how the US and Russia managed to set the area back a little bit several decades ago up until now. Also no matter what you do there will always be an extremist minority of anything, in religion, in politics, in the corporate world in SCHOOL whatever! It doesnt matter, you are just hellbent on assigning blame on something because it is so easy to blame.

Also what in the hell do you mean

ignorant by only applying your common associations that you find typical to the things I listed.

YOU were the one that cited nothing but CHRISTIAN examples for why whatever you want to believe is wrong is wrong and then tried to pin 9/11 on an entire religion.

---------- Post added at 01:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

Nope, that's faith. Belief could be in anything that's believed, regardless of how much or how little evidence there is for it. At least, that's the first definition. The second is more along the lines of what you said.

Fucking words.

Id like to say you are entirely right but I think the usage of the word has more of a bearing on whether or not you or junzou is right

Guest Fohacidal
do you guys want to keep arguing or should I close this? I already got my answer

Close it for what? I thought the point of the closing tool was to end flaming or to stop rule breaking

You are really funny if you think 9/11 was religiously motivated. What happened that day is about as political and politics get, religion is just a scapegoat, radical muslims were a good target and happen to be the cause of a lot of problems in the middle east completely disregarding how the US and Russia managed to set the area back a little bit several decades ago up until now. Also no matter what you do there will always be an extremist minority of anything, in religion, in politics, in the corporate world in SCHOOL whatever! It doesnt matter, you are just hellbent on assigning blame on something because it is so easy to blame.

Also what in the hell do you mean

YOU were the one that cited nothing but CHRISTIAN examples for why whatever you want to believe is wrong is wrong and then tried to pin 9/11 on an entire religion.

---------- Post added at 01:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

Id like to say you are entirely right but I think the usage of the word has more of a bearing on whether or not you or junzou is right

I never said those examples had anything to do with Christianity. You're the one saying that. As I've pointed out, most of them can apply to multiple religions.

As for 9/11, if you're implying it was some sort of inside job, then I'm fucking done talking with you.

There's no point in arguing with someone who will believe a conspiracy theory that batshit insane.