Sign in to follow this  
Mitch

PC Protection

mse?

Microsoft Security Essentials. I know everyone hates Micro$soft but this is one thing they got right and did very well... for now. The problem with virus/spyware/hijackware/malaware protection is nothing is 100%. MSE has a pretty good detection rate, runs silently(for the most part), and doesn't take up a lot of resources. MSE also seems to do do virus, spyware, hijackware, and malaware all pretty good. You usually have to pick and choice specific apps that do one or another really well. MSE seems to be a jack of all trades. It is not the best but it does everything pretty damn good.

yeah depends if a Hacker has your ip address and could access your computer, thats when its time getting a firewall, but still if you have a firewall, it could block from CS:S or any game downloading custom game information/models/textures/mods.

Mehh.

Anti-Virus: NOD32

Anti-Spyware/Malware/Adware/ETC: Malwarebytes & Spybot S&D

Firewall: Comodo

I was going to pick MSE over NOD32, but considering how Microsoft still recommends Internet Explorer for browsing the internet, that made me a little skeptical, and made me choose NOD32. I think this is a pretty good selection of software :>

Mehh.

Anti-Virus: NOD32

Anti-Spyware/Malware/Adware/ETC: Malwarebytes & Spybot S&D

Firewall: Comodo

I was going to pick MSE over NOD32, but considering how Microsoft still recommends Internet Explorer for browsing the internet, that made me a little skeptical, and made me choose NOD32. I think this is a pretty good selection of software :>

how'd you get nod32?

i use nothing. it works great!

Same here, my brother still manages to download a lot of things, but never gets viruses.

Although, my old laptop had windows re-installed about 5 times, and it still isn't clean of viruses.

How the fuck does that work?

Same here, my brother still manages to download a lot of things, but never gets viruses.

Although, my old laptop had windows re-installed about 5 times, and it still isn't clean of viruses.

How the fuck does that work?

maybe the 8mb boot partition on your hard drive? do a full format. if it's XP, backup your stuff, boot to cd and delete everything on the hard disk until it has one line reading "unpartitioned space". or check a secondary hard disk if you have one connected. or if you made the os disk from an ISO image, it might have a virus in it.

do you have a recovery partition on that laptop?

I use Spybot Search and Destroy; and MalwareBytes for anti-spyware

Is Nod32 better than AVG?

Im not sure about nod32, but i think they're both bloated and horrible for use on the older computers..

they sound about the same though, protection-wise.

Im not sure about nod32, but i think they're both bloated and horrible for use on the older computers..

they sound about the same though, protection-wise.

Yeah my old laptop would use to choke while AVG scanned, but on my new computer I don't even notice the difference

Yeah my old laptop would use to choke while AVG scanned, but on my new computer I don't even notice the difference

same, i cant run symantec endpoint on one of my other pc's because its 64-bit, so i use avg I S. i found a working 10 yr key lol.

your left click is your best AVP

NOD32 or avast is my personal fave hands down.

i would thank that post, but the thank button disappeared.

oh yeah, try CCleaner for small shit. for example my C:\ kept getting smaller and smaller and i just realized if you look in your C:\Windows\Temp directory. you can see that folder is probably most likely gonna be 50GB+ depending on what the fuck your doing. happend to me, and i have about 150 GB of space left. life saver ;D

oh yeah, try CCleaner for small shit. for example my C:\ kept getting smaller and smaller and i just realized if you look in your C:\Windows\Temp directory. you can see that folder is probably most likely gonna be 50GB+ depending on what the fuck your doing. happend to me, and i have about 150 GB of space left. life saver ;D

yeah, when i clean or sometimes rebuild machines that people get viruses on, i install ccleaner and tell them how to use it. I usually do all the deleting in the temp folders, and ect. myself first. i use it when i'm lazy and dont feel like going through each folder lol.