Sign in to follow this  
BlackStone

DoE wants to cut loans to Career Students

I saw this appear on my online college's front page, so I posted it here for all of you.

Students for Academic Choice

This student and graduate petition supports continued program access and choice at career colleges and opposes the Department of Education's draft gainful employment proposal.

http://www.StudentsforAcademicChoice.org

Gainful Employment Petition Drive

The Career Colleges Association (CCA), in connection with our efforts to have the U.S. Department of Education submit a more acceptable alternative to its recent draft gainful employment regulatory proposal, would like to ask for your assistance with a critical effort involving current students and graduates of career colleges. A week ago last Friday, Students for Academic Choice requested that students sign a petition to voice their concerns about the impact of this draft regulation. No one understands the serious, negative potential repercussions of this measure being considered by the U.S. Department of Education more clearly than current career college students and graduates.

This spring in Washington, D.C., the first career college student association began to coalesce. More than 150 students came to Washington in March 2010 to voice their support for career education to federal policymakers. They were excited about the opportunity to have their voices heard by elected officials during their Hill visits, and they want to continue to do so. The leaders of that group have made getting their voices heard on gainful employment a priority of this new association.

The student and graduate petition supports continued program access and choice at career colleges and opposes the Department's draft gainful employment proposal. Student leaders will deliver this petition with a press release and press conference led by them.

Each CCA member school is encouraging current and former students to take a moment to go to the Students for Academic Choice website - http://www.StudentsforAcademicChoice.org - to add their names and schools to the online petition. Continuing efforts to spread the word about this petition would be greatly appreciated by the student leaders.

Their goal is to secure at least 100,000 signatures on the student petition. The CCA membership and students have enthusiastically responded to this request in the thousands and many more are signing up by the hour. Therefore, the petition drive is being extended to FRIDAY, MAY 14th.

So, my understanding of what is occurring is that the Department of Education wants to cut off loans to students who are not aiming for a "gainful employment" but instead are going to school just to go to school.

Views?

Petition against, 100k signature goals.

http://www.studentsforacademicchoice.org/

I can somewhat understand why they want to cut the loaning of money out to career students that don't seem to be getting jobs. By law, a college student is not required to pay anything on a loan as long as they remain in school and return to school within 60 days of their last date of attendance. Meaning the DoE is handing them money and not getting any of it back, however, the interest is growing on those loans.

Considering the fact that the united states is failing economic wise, they are probably pushing toward fields that actually stimulate new job and growth within the economy, the only student they will actually cut is your studio art major or your philosophy major. Shit like that.

I have a couple good friends who have a BA in philosophy.

They make shit and work jobs like little sister could do, for a alot less money mind you...

We need more engineers, more innovators.

Shit that makes the country money.

A Bachelors Degree in anything isn't good anymore.

Whats your major?

Also who the fuck would know what the acronym DOE means?

Maybe think of a different title besides posting something like that just because its too long.

Undergraduates may not even know what they want out of life when they first arrive at college. I can understand weeding out career students, but they have to go about the issue more delicately.

I see it like this:

The government is helping you out because with a better education, you should be able to get a job and help the economy and society to a greater degree.

If you are dicking around and getting a useless degree that you wont be able to utilize in the real world, then you can do it on your own buck, not the taxpayer's.

They only got 30k signatures.