Sign in to follow this  
Martyr Shu

Survival horror games and other variations that make you shit your pants.

Am I the only that loves to have the shit scared out of me in a video game? I love the tension, suspense, and the feeling that these games have left me with hours after I quit. I'd say more but I'm bad at this kind of stuff. :D

My top three (in no order):

The Penumbra Collection (PC)

Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams (PS2, Xbox, PC)

Condemned: Criminal Origins (Xbox 360)

So, is anyone else here like me on this?

Loved all three of them. I really need to finish Penumbra though. I keep losing my save files and my eagerness to play them.

I liked Siren: Blood Curse and Fatal Frame too.

Dead Space scared me a bit. It also pissed me off, especially when

(Spoiler)

My teammate/whatever stole the ship that I just spent 12 hours fixing. It felt good though to use some tracking system to bring that ship back, then watch her get eaten alive.

The only game I've played that I thought was scary was Fatal Frame 2. Great game. I also loved Dead Space and a little-known Japanese Sega Saturn game called Deep Fear. Oh, and then there's the Parasite Eve games, if you want to call those survival horrorish.

Guest Fohacidal

Parasite Eve was stupid, I felt like I was supposed to be born japanese to understand why that was scary, or even entertaining.

Dead Space and Silent Hill 2 are my favorites

Loved all three of them. I really need to finish Penumbra though. I keep losing my save files and my eagerness to play them.

I liked Siren: Blood Curse and Fatal Frame too.

Always wanted to play those two.

I just beat Penumbra: Overture myself. It's hard to get away from CSS to finish Black Plague, though. Still fucking great games, though.

Dead Space scared me a bit. It also pissed me off, especially when

(Spoiler)

My teammate/whatever stole the ship that I just spent 12 hours fixing. It felt good though to use some tracking system to bring that ship back, then watch her get eaten alive.

I loved it when she died.

Condemned 2

Was til they had you using guns so much. AND THAT FUCKING BEAR, CHRIST.

F.E.A.R. Fucked with me the first time I played it.

Me and 3 other dudes and two chicks rented the game from blockbuster and huddled around the TV in a dorm room and switched who played. Somehow I always got the scary fuckin parts and they got to run and gun. That fucking ladder. Everyone screamed like a little girl.

I never found F.E.A.R to be scary. At all.

Yeah it was lame the 2nd time I played through on my own. There was just something about all of the other people and playing from like 10-5AM that made it creepy.

That fucking ladder. Everyone screamed like a little girl.

lol. That part wasn't even scary. Pussy.

Try these mods, pretty epic in my opinion:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/afraid-of-monsters-dc

Afraid Of Monsters: Directors Cut

Just played through it without cheating (the game is hard as hell), and it was really rewarding. I loved it. It scared me more than SH2 ever did.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/korsakovia

Korsokovia

One of my favorite mods ever. This mod will fuck with you so much. If you like mindfuck situations, you'll love this.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/cry-of-fear

Cry of Fear

One of the most anticipated mods on ModDB right now. One of the most ridiculous HL1 mods ever. The guys that make Afraid Of Monsters took the Paranoia engine (heavily modded HL1 engine), turned it inside out, had a wank on it and then redid most of it to create this monster of a mod. Coming out later this year.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/paranoia

Paranoia

If I'm going to talk about Cry of Fear, I might as well talk about Paranoia. This was a genuinely scary mod. I enjoyed the hell out of it though. It's sort of like if FEAR was actually scary. The ending is so rewarding.

Guest Waffle

FEAR doesn't seem to be all that scary. >.>

Guest Fohacidal

Doom 3 was as scary as it was annoying. By 30 minutes into the game I would instinctively know to fire into every dark corner and room first before passing because there was ALWAYS something in the dark corners. The real scares and weird moments came from level and model design but definitely not the "whats in the cor-OMG" cheap scares

Doom 3 was as scary as it was annoying. By 30 minutes into the game I would instinctively know to fire into every dark corner and room first before passing because there was ALWAYS something in the dark corners. The real scares and weird moments came from level and model design but definitely not the "whats in the cor-OMG" cheap scares

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this...

i thought FEAR was scarier than Doom3

of course, i finished Doom3, but i don't think i got past like the 2nd level of FEAR

i don't like horror games/movies

Guest Fohacidal

Fear was definitely much more hair raising then Doom 3, it actually had me fearing corners instead of running and gunning into every amount of space I could find that seemed to bathe in the absence of light.

My top three (in no order):

So, is anyone else here like me on this?

started playing condemned...then my xbox decided to be like half of the xboxes out there and break.

i did play and beat condemned 2. that was pretty freaky. my brother did say the thing that scared him the most about condemned 1 was that it was more realistic and had a higher chance happening, unlike condemned 2, where you beat the game by yelling

^ That's a damn shame, RAGEQUILT. The first Condemned is so fucking good.

lol. That part wasn't even scary. Pussy.

Try these mods, pretty epic in my opinion:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/afraid-of-monsters-dc

Afraid Of Monsters: Directors Cut

Just played through it without cheating (the game is hard as hell), and it was really rewarding. I loved it. It scared me more than SH2 ever did.

Checkin this one out first. Thanks!

Checkin this one out first. Thanks!

You won't be disappointed. :D Oh, and if you liked it, there's 3 additional endings, the original version, and a secret weapon that you get if you get all 4 endings. (Or was it five? :|)

i did play and beat condemned 2. that was pretty freaky. my brother did say the thing that scared him the most about condemned 1 was that it was more realistic and had a higher chance happening, unlike condemned 2, where you beat the game by yelling

Main reason why I haven't beaten Condemned 2 yet. I bought Condemned 1 for PC, and it was totally worth the purchase. The way it runs is ridiculous. I used to be able to max it out on my old P4/GeForce 7600 combo and get amazing looking graphics with a solid 60 fps, haven't tried it on my new setup. brb looking for it. :)