Sign in to follow this  
JeeCe

N-Word

hahah, words change meaning all the time. There's no doubt in my mind that eventually the racist connotation of nigger will become nothing but an archaic mention in a dictionary. ...perhaps not in my lifetime, though.

So we are in agreement then-- the word currently is offensive, and inherently ties Blackness to stupidity/bad behaviors.

For purposes on forums and game servers. The word "nigger" will be considered offensive language and will result in a kick/ ban according to the appropriateness of the situation.

Let's just consider "nigger" "always offensive", kk :)

tl;dr - Dojima cant keep up with introductory level logic, Anglophones during the time period we're discussing were almost all white so when the Wiki says "Among Anglophones, nigger wasn't offensive" means "Among Whites, nigger wasn't offensive," Dojima is hating on Lesbian Dad for being a pro NBC rock star, and Contract Killer is right that EVERYONE needs to stop using the word, not just non-Blacks.

Thanks darling :3

That's impossible. Connotation means the suggested meaning of a word. If you don't intend for it to be racist, it doesn't have a racist connotation, at least from the perspective of the person using the word. If it does to the listener, that's their problem.

Nice job insulting a huge group of people based on your opinion. Believe you? Who are you? Henry W. Fowler from Fowler's Modern English?

actually connotation means the secondary meaning of word. but yes, it can mean a suggested definition, so you if you read my sentence carefully enough, the context in which nigga is used could still be considered racist. intend for it to be racist or not, it still has that "suggested" meaning or the secondary meaning. most of the time when nigga is used they aren't suggesting anything with the word, i was pointing out that it is still a form of a racist term.

and yeah, i did insult a huge group of people because the i find nigger and its many forms insulting. so yea believe me when i tell you that people using nigger sounds "all of the above," coming out of another person's mouth. just like many other words are avoided in common talk, nigger is as well. but also like i said, it also depends who it's coming from.

For purposes on forums and game servers. The word "nigger" will be considered offensive language and will result in a kick/ ban according to the appropriateness of the situation.

Let's just consider "nigger" "always offensive", kk :)

Look, just say "nigger" in FFA and Vent and we won't have a problem. Anywhere else, I'm gonna steal your white women.

/thread

actually connotation means the secondary meaning of word. but yes, it can mean a suggested definition, so you if you read my sentence carefully enough, the context in which nigga is used could still be considered racist. intend for it to be racist or not, it still has that "suggested" meaning or the secondary meaning. most of the time when nigga is used they aren't suggesting anything with the word, i was pointing out that it is still a form of a racist term.

and yeah, i did insult a huge group of people because the i find nigger and its many forms insulting. so yea believe me when i tell you that people using nigger sounds "all of the above," coming out of another person's mouth. just like many other words are avoided in common talk, nigger is as well. but also like i said, it also depends who it's coming from.

I accept your backpedal.

11 pages, all various shades of gray. To make it easier, saying any kind of racial slur regardless of it's context should be a punishable action: why? No one enjoys being called a racial slur. Even in the context of friends there is some form of resentment present. So, to make it short and sweet, all slurs are punishable. Just don't do them. Don't tread on people, it's America dammit!

Free Speech comes with a limitation not to impede on others freedom!

Well, Nigger isnt racist.

Besides the point though since SG can ban for any word they want. If it was a problem they would be encouraged to stop their silly rules from lack of support from their community.

I acknowledge your troll and encourage staff to give you an infraction for it.

you know what, i should. but this is a discussion that is very hard to carry out and his response to me did nothing but end it on his end. if he wants to add something constructive to what i said other than "OK, that's nice," i would be more than willing to continue but, he didn't.

for those saying nigger isn't or can't be considered a racist term ... than what is entire thread for? the word would not be thought of in such vulgar way today and throughout history if it wasn't in a racist context. racist or not, it was still used to refer to blacks in a negative way.